Seeking the DIR Answer: Must DIR Shops be Committed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is it that every time Catherine starts a thread it turns into a wabbit hunt? :wink:

I don't know why this would be an issue.

GUE provides the best training out there. Halcyon is the best gear.

Why wouldn't you want to be DIR compliant with everyone?

RiverRat:
I had some problems doing some skills mid-water as the other diver could not hold position. Not uncommon with mis-matched skillsets.

RiverRat, While I'd dive with Jeff or Steve anyday I have an established "relationship" with them. I'm sure we'd have quite a ruckus.

In your case, I'd probably pause based on the attitude shown in the quote above. You had some problems in mid-water because of you. Sure having a lesser skilled teammate makes things tougher. But you are responsible for your own bouyancy (and other skills) regardless of who you're teamed up with. Blaming someone else for your difficulties is not DIR.

rjack321:
RiverRat, While I'd dive with Jeff or Steve anyday I have an established "relationship" with them. I'm sure we'd have quite a ruckus.

In your case, I'd probably pause based on the attitude shown in the quote above. You had some problems in mid-water because of you. Sure having a lesser skilled teammate makes things tougher. But you are responsible for your own bouyancy (and other skills) regardless of who you're teamed up with. Blaming someone else for your difficulties is not DIR.

I don't get your reply....
If I'm holding mid-water, doing an air share, and my partner is flying up to the surface, and it's "hard" to complete the skill, (eg: my long hose is NOT that long....) BY MYSELF, how is that my fault?

I'm not blaming anyone. Frustrating at times, but I hung in there, I didn't have a problem with it.

TheRedHead:
Why is it that every time Catherine starts a thread it turns into a wabbit hunt? :wink:

because it's a logical question, it doesn't mean I can't accept the answer or that I don't think DIR is "a good system"...just because you question part of the delivery.

The answer was basically that the economics require some of the DIR Instructors to dive non-DIR recreational divers in a way different from their team philosophy. That can be interpreted any way a person chooses- purely pragmatic or as a double standard they have conveniently set for themselves.

The part I get a little incredulous about is all the people that ask "why do you need to know?" or tell me "you should really let it go"....seemed like a logical question from a diver who enjoys diving "with" DIR inclined divers and out of politeness usually arranges them with another diver of the same ilk. I like being the extra spoke and am eager to watch how they approach certain tasks and don't think that makes me a troll.

BUT, having said that, I understand if this is not the debate they want in the DIR forum, which is why I am very curious why they wouldn't apply some criteria like Fundies or intention to take Fundies to post as opposed to the warning that it is an area of free exchange. (the debate probably serves some function for them, even if it is only the opportunity to band together?)

In the end, if divers want to play al a carte with DIR, I don't see how that can be stopped if the Instructors can do it in their business model. (which suits me just fine) It's just a big continuum, as I see it.

If you are doing some big exploration tech dive, certainy dive with somebody on the same page who is not going to **** you up. But how you get from there-to not being able to ask a question is sketchy in my mind.

Randy43068:
I agree with you... he's off his meds I think.
You agree with him? Wow, that means a lot.

<snicker>

catherine96821:
In the end, if divers want to play al a carte with DIR, I don't see how that can be stopped if the Instructors can do it in their business model. (which suits me just fine) It's just a big continuum, as I see it.

If you are doing a big dive, you had better dive it right (and I'm IANTD, not DIR trained), but even the small dives, I like being on the same page with the people on my team. I really hate the cattle boat mentality of giant stride off with no discussion of anything. In my limited experience with DIR trained divers, they adapt to the situation, but at the same time, they are very aware of what is going on around them. If they expected the casual recreational diver to come even close to being on the same page, they would be very disappointed, I'm afraid.

catherine96821:
because it's a logical question, it doesn't mean I can't accept the answer or that I don't think DIR is "a good system"...just because you question part of the delivery.

The answer was basically that the economics require some of the DIR Instructors to dive non-DIR recreational divers in a way different from their team philosophy. ......

There are GUE instructors on Oahu? Who?

Unless things have changed recently there aren't that many DIR divers on the island at all. If you can, go do a dive with onfloat. He is a great example of a typical DIR diver. He has the right mindset and the skills and is interested in learning more where he can. He probably isn't 100% perfect DIR, but few if any people are.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom