Question Secondary computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, here’s where I’m at. I am a newer diver with about 60 dives in. Usually dive in Wisconsin or close to it, but do travel to tropics once or twice a year to dive. Currently I have an Aqualung Pro Plus X and an i770r. I had two for a liveaboard I did last summer. Currently don’t have anything like that planned. I am trying to be less like a Christmas tree and am thinking of getting rid of the Pro Plus X to get rid of a hose. Am I being foolish to only run one computer? Should I get another AI computer for less hoses but still have redundancy?

Hey guys, here’s where I’m at. I am a newer diver with about 60 dives in. Usually dive in Wisconsin or close to it, but do travel to tropics once or twice a year to dive. Currently I have an Aqualung Pro Plus X and an i770r. I had two for a liveaboard I did last summer. Currently don’t have anything like that planned. I am trying to be less like a Christmas tree and am thinking of getting rid of the Pro Plus X to get rid of a hose. Am I being foolish to only run one computer? Should I get another AI computer for less hoses but still have redundancy?
AI is nice but not necessary. There’s nothing wrong with a SPG as long as you keep it clipped off so it isn’t dangling. You don’t necessarily need a second computer for recreational diving. However, there is nothing wrong with having one and it can prevent you from losing dives if you have a computer fail. Dive the equipment that makes you comfortable and don’t worry too much about what others dive. Just be sure you know how to use both your computers, otherwise the backup doesn’t help.

AI is nice but not necessary. There’s nothing wrong with a SPG as long as you keep it clipped off so it isn’t dangling. You don’t necessarily need a second computer for recreational diving. However, there is nothing wrong with having one and it can prevent you from losing dives if you have a computer fail. Dive the equipment that makes you comfortable and don’t worry too much about what others dive. Just be sure you know how to use both your computers, otherwise the backup doesn’t help.
Fortunately I’m comfortable with both computers. For me, they’re fairly easy to use. I’m comfortable with what I’m running right now, just trying to be a little more streamlined.

Hi @Mercracing

For a beginning diver, you have a lot invested in dive computers. So, you have an Oceanic (not Aqua Lung) Pro Plus X. This computer runs both DSAT and PZ+. Your Aqua Lung i770r runs PZ+. Do you run both of these computers on PZ+ to match? Do you have a transmitter for the i770 to take advantage of the AI also?

Answer these questions and I may be able to provide additional suggestions.

Hi @Mercracing

For a beginning diver, you have a lot invested in dive computers. So, you have an Oceanic (not Aqua Lung) Pro Plus X. This computer runs both DSAT and PZ+. Your Aqua Lung i770r runs PZ+. Do you run both of these computers on PZ+ to match? Do you have a transmitter for the i770 to take advantage of the AI also?

Answer these questions and I may be able to provide additional suggestions.
Yea I wanted to make sure if something happened to one computer on the liveaboard I would be able to continue diving without interruption. Yes I believe I run both computers PZ+. Yes I use a transmitter for the 770.

A backup computer helped me yesterday diving in Bali, I was so excited to dive this site I was in the water before I realised that I had not strapped my main computer to my wrist, I pointed to my local guide that I had left it behind, he signalled if I wanted to go back and get it, I retrieved my backup from my tech shorts and put it on, my guide laughed and commented later " you have a backup everything, mask,computer reel " I said it's what I do , old habits die hard for this old man

I did miss the AI of my main computer, Perdix ,backup, Peregrine.

am thinking of getting rid of the Pro Plus X to get rid of a hose.

If it is running without any issues, I'd keep it. I run all hoseless AI (two hoseless AI computer with two different transmitters) but that happened after my console based AI computer (Cobra) crapped out.

it is running without any issues
I was glad of the "extra hose" yesterday, no AI and SPG on a hose saved the day.

Yea I wanted to make sure if something happened to one computer on the liveaboard I would be able to continue diving without interruption. Yes I believe I run both computers PZ+. Yes I use a transmitter for the 770.
PZ+ is a moderate or middle of the road decompression algorithm in the conservative to liberal spectrum, that may be perfectly fine with you. The transmitter for your i770r is compatible with Shearwater computers, should you wish to switch later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom