Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Stuart, I'll take your advice on the zipper cover & pockets.

I currently dive with a P-valve, but for the sake of simplicity I'm thinking the convenience zip alone could be sufficient on the Ultra. I added the P-valve just as a placeholder should I change my mind in the future. Is there something else about convenience zips that makes them undesirable? Tnx

Zippers are a weak spot on any drysuit. A source for leaks and expensive to fix.

Well, I have now done 3 days of diving in this suit. 8 dives, total.

Unfortunately, I have to report that it has a tiny leak somewhere in my right heel area.

The very first time I got in the water with it, I felt a tiny cold spot on my right heel. I thought it was a leak. But then the feeling kind of went away. I wore the suit all day - 3 dives - and never noticed that feeling again. By the time I took it off, I had forgotten about it, so I didn't specifically check for wetness.

My second day of diving, it was the same deal.

This past weekend, I did my 3rd day in it. Only 2 dives (for a total of almost 2.5 hours in the water). This time, I remembered to check out my right foot when I took the suit off. My right heel of my 150gsm Thinsulate sock was quite wet. The rest of me, including my left foot, was all dry. So, I am convinced that it does have a tiny leak somewhere in the right heel area. I think it must be really tiny to only have that little bit of water in my heel after 2.5 hours in the water.

I guess I could feel the initial leak of water coming in, then once it was in, and the water in the sock warmed up some, I just didn't feel any more water coming in.

Other than this small leak, the suit is still awesome. It has been very comfortable to dive and very comfortable to have on during my surface intervals (given that we've still had relatively cool weather here). I think it was up to around 70 all day on Saturday, when I was wearing it continuously from about 11:30 until 4:00 or so (with 150gsm full suit undies on underneath).

I have sent an email off to Seaskin to ask about how to handle this. I'll update this thread when there is further news to report.

For whatever its worth I once thought my drysuit had a leak in the left leg as my left sock got wet thought the dive. My drysuit has the plastic T-zip that zips from upper right shoulder down to lower left hip. After careful inspection I realized my T-zip had an issue letting water in. I was fortunately able to repair it with Aquiaseal myself.

It is worth inspecting you zipper system carefully as it takes a lot of abuse by nature.

For whatever its worth I once thought my drysuit had a leak in the left leg as my left sock got wet thought the dive. My drysuit has the plastic T-zip that zips from upper right shoulder down to lower left hip. After careful inspection I realized my T-zip had an issue letting water in. I was fortunately able to repair it with Aquiaseal myself.

It is worth inspecting you zipper system carefully as it takes a lot of abuse by nature.
I believe his is back entry in which case there would be evidence elsewhere along his torso and leg

The primary purpose for having this suit is for diving in water temps that are not cold enough to need dry gloves. If it's cold enough to need dry gloves, I will wear my trilam and also have plenty of room underneath for thick undergarments. If it's warm enough to not need dry gloves, then I figure a compressed neoprene suit will also let me get away with minimal undergarments. I.e. I wanted to be able to use it like a wetsuit, but be dry and warmer.

I ordered this suit with less options than my trilam. No replaceable seals. But, it has neoprene seals at the neck and wrist. I got zippered thigh pockets, Kevlar knee pads, Si Tech valves, a Trigon pee valve, and custom name/flag patch on the suit and the storage bag. I also ordered it with the velcro flap to cover the main zipper, and 2 Trilobite pouches sewn to the forearms to always have a cutting device in reach of either hand. Still with trauma shears on my belt, of course. I stuck with the standard attached boots, for simplicity. Total cost was a bit under USD$900, with shipping from the UK.

Interesting you went this route. I have done the opposite - neoprene with 300g undergarment and baselayer for cold water, trilam with the same undergarments for warmer. Drygloves on the neoprene, wet for the trilam (might change to drygloves soon enough). Newfoundland waters tend to be chilly though.

I'm always torn with the wrist seals. Neoprene ones are v comfy, and I've had great experience with them. 1-1.5" of tuck is generally enough. However, I find that user replaceable is great, and futureproofing for dry gloves is also great. UGH.

How would you rate the flexibility of this suit, especially compared to your Nova?

If it fits right, you have full range of motion in either.

If it fits right, you have full range of motion in either.

I should rephrase.

I dive a DUI CLX450 because I got a screaming deal on it. I love it but it is restrictive for sure.

I’m wondering how the ultra would compare for mobility. I’m under the impression that neoprene would be more flexible but I don’t actually know. I’m hoping you could give a comparison between the two you have. Cheers

@stuartv I was looking through the FAQ's on the Seaskin website and spotted one I haven't seen before. It looks like they're finally listening to you.

Why don't you do a front entry neoprene suit?
The honest answer to this is that we have tried many time to make front entry compressed suits, but never been entirely happy with the results. We either get a suit that is great when you are wearing it but near impossible to get in and out of or put and extending torso system around the middle of it and end up with 9mm of neoprene around the hips kind of defeating the object of a compressed suit. We have a plan that may get round this but it is at the R+D stage and would not want to inflict it on to paying customers at this stage.Sorry to be negative on this one. The Nova and Ultra suits went through this process before we put them on the market.

@stuartv I was looking through the FAQ's on the Seaskin website and spotted one I haven't seen before. It looks like they're finally listening to you.

Why don't you do a front entry neoprene suit?
The honest answer to this is that we have tried many time to make front entry compressed suits, but never been entirely happy with the results. We either get a suit that is great when you are wearing it but near impossible to get in and out of or put and extending torso system around the middle of it and end up with 9mm of neoprene around the hips kind of defeating the object of a compressed suit. We have a plan that may get round this but it is at the R+D stage and would not want to inflict it on to paying customers at this stage.Sorry to be negative on this one. The Nova and Ultra suits went through this process before we put them on the market.
They have hinted at this before, pinnacle has a new front zip neoprene (Beuchat also has one) that is a horizontal across the front, like the Hollis neotech semi dry, i can zip the Hollis up without a problem and would like to get a hands on try of the pinnacle but would buy a Seaskin over either.

The Bare XCS2 Tech drysuit was front cross zip compressed neoprene. Lots of people had those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom