Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said in the video, its nice and snug around the waist and hips, and takes a little work to get into. I was wearing some thin wool undergarments, which seem to be enough for the 72 degree waters in Florida caves. Around the arms and legs, fit is fine. I can't imagine that you can get the legs really small because you have to fit your foot through (and knee pads, and pockets), but it doesn't leave a huge amount of extra material. Arms are also likely limited by having the oval cuff ring system, so I can't really blame practicality on something like that.

If the snugness (and its a gentle snugness, not an uncomfortable tightness) becomes an issue if/when I need thicker undergarments, I might attempt to gently stretch it overnight. I doubt it will be an issue, and even if it is, I bet it will stretch a smidge over time. In the meantime, I'm incredibly happy diving this.

Also, final little note, the feet fit well, but are snug inside my wetsuit booties. Totally fine for now, but I wouldn't be super-surprised if they got numb after 4+ hours or something. Obviously the wetsuit booties were sized to my foot without neoprene socks, but its totally a viable option for the time being.

View attachment 648582

Why does your inflator valve seem to be rather low on your chest?

Does anyone know if they are considering a diagonal zip version?

I requested it. They told me they had tried it and they didn’t feel like it worked well enough, so they wouldn’t do it.

You must be confusing the Ultra for the Nova. To my knowledge, Seaskin does not offer a diagonal zip for the Ultra (compressed neoprene), only for the Nova (trilam).

Also, just a PSA, I noticed that the Ultra prices have been raised by about 20% across the board since I first ordered mine about 9 months ago. Being as how it took about 7 months for me to get mine, I'd say they're finally adjusting to the high demand.

While I enjoy diving my Ultra I don’t like the rear zip so if I were replacing it I would be tempted to do the pinnacle black ice again or the pinnacle Tahoe which is a front across the chest zip, still no can touch the cost of the Seaskin.

The difficulty with a front zip is the stiffness of material. A 4mm compressed neoprene wont have the flexibility to fold nicely, while a 4mm non-compressed will.
Most front entry 4mm neoprene suits are either non-compressed or have a convoluted work-around that is prone to leaks.

The difficulty with a front zip is the stiffness of material. A 4mm compressed neoprene wont have the flexibility to fold nicely, while a 4mm non-compressed will.
Most front entry 4mm neoprene suits are either non-compressed or have a convoluted work-around that is prone to leaks.

My first drysuit was a Bare XCS2 Tech. 2mm compressed neoprene, with a plastic front zipper. It worked great! But, it didn't have pockets or replaceable seals. And it didn't fit me as well as made to measure.

My first drysuit was a Bare XCS2 Tech. 2mm compressed neoprene, with a plastic front zipper. It worked great! But, it didn't have pockets or replaceable seals. And it didn't fit me as well as made to measure.
Yeah the 2mm compressed suits are great. Abyss has a 1mm that is very similar to a tri-lam, very interested to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom