Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lexvil I really doubt they will propose to have me send it back. But, I'm going to (probably) wait for a real response from them before I do anything with it. I got a response today, but it was just an acknowledgement that they got my email and copied the right person to respond. They are shut down right, so I'm not sure exactly when I'll hear back further.

What I was thinking is, since it's in the boot, maybe just fill the boot with water and see where it comes out. Then use some Aquaseal to seal that. But, like I said, I'll wait for the moment.

It's totally diveable, like it is. In 51F degree water, I felt a cold spot when I first got in and then couldn't feel it for the rest of the day, so no big deal, really.
I have an order in for a few bits and got the email today asking to hold the order or refund, I ordered on a great exchange rate so I can wait. I’m sure the repair will be simple.

I have 16 dives on the neoprene suit now. I still really, really like it. I replaced the original inflator valve with a Si Tech Vega valve, so now I have a power cord coming into the suit. I've been diving it with a 12V heated shirt on underneath, and a UWLD battery canister and heat controller outside the suit. Having heat is awesome!!

It still has a tiny leak somewhere in the right foot. It's so minor, I have not yet made the time to do a leak test with soap spray to figure out exactly what is going on.

But, my last 2 dives were both to around 180-200 feet and, afterwards, the left foot was weird. It felt like there was a giant air bubble in the sole. It was very squishy to walk around on. I suspect it was air that got in between the neoprene inner sole and the rubber outer sole. My left foot did not get wet, though.

So, now I'm suspicious that both the boots have some kind of issue with how the soles are glued/sealed to the bottom. My theory is that my right foot is leaking water between the outsole and inner sole and then the inner sole is letting it inside.

I've had too much other stuff going on and this problem has really been very minor. But, now that the left boot is also exhibiting a problem, I guess I need to make some time and do a proper leak test. My further suspicion at this point is that I can fix it by using Aquaseal all the way around the perimeter of each of the outsoles. Either that, or just get the boots replaced...

I put in the waterproof neck seal on my Ultra, just pull the seal until you lift the lock ring
3BD7818A-9D5E-4814-A8FB-8C2B4068C87D.jpeg

Just pull it out
48FCEF86-D5F0-4C52-AF04-49445BE7C54A.jpeg

Place the seal and roll it in, went easier than the silicone
3E124C7A-299D-4B57-B0D7-A13C2A5F649B.jpeg

In place
A3A3C8C2-C22C-41A3-9C4D-1E386F3861DF.jpeg
A7CC8A69-4B57-486E-B4DD-DF7445B3984B.jpeg

Actually pretty comfy, next week (I hope) will give it a wet trial, hope it seals over the big chainsaw scar.
BFCF205F-3291-4D49-951A-D4776A21301A.jpeg

I put in the waterproof neck seal on my Ultra, just pull the seal until you lift the lock ringView attachment 618966
Just pull it out
View attachment 618967
Place the seal and roll it in, went easier than the silicone
View attachment 618968

In place
View attachment 618969View attachment 618970
Actually pretty comfy, next week (I hope) will give it a wet trial, hope it seals over the big chainsaw scar.
View attachment 618971
Wow that’s a helluva place to have a chainsaw scar! Must be a story there

I'm seriously considering this suit. I was looking at possibly ordering a custom fit Bare drysuit in compressed neoprene and it would be around $2600 with fairly standard options. I do wish they had a front plastic zipper option as well. One of my concerns is that I have very wide shoulders and wonder how hard it would be getting into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom