Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone get the "Tech boots"? They are an upgrade to the standard attached boot. In the pictures they look similar to a full sole cold water wet boot but I assume slightly bigger in width and length to accommodate socks inside. Does that sound like an accurate description? Can anyone speak to the size and width of these tech boots? I typically wear a size 9 (US) EE hiking boot. So my feet are a little wider than normal. I'm hoping these are forgiving enough in width and length in order to accommodate undergarments to also accommodate the width of my feet.

Did anyone get the "Tech boots"? They are an upgrade to the standard attached boot. In the pictures they look similar to a full sole cold water wet boot but I assume slightly bigger in width and length to accommodate socks inside. Does that sound like an accurate description? Can anyone speak to the size and width of these tech boots? I typically wear a size 9 (US) EE hiking boot. So my feet are a little wider than normal. I'm hoping these are forgiving enough in width and length in order to accommodate undergarments to also accommodate the width of my feet.
I always go with neoprene socks, that way I can choose whatever shoe I want.

I just mailed my Ultra back to Seaskin on Saturday. I got the regular boots. They didn't have the Tech boot option when I ordered my suit.

My right boot has had a tiny leak since the suit was new. It's weird because it seems like it only leaks when I first get in. I'm thinking that it's pulling water in when I get some squeeze on the suit and then when I start pumping some air into the suit, it's enough to keep any more water from coming in.

The last time I dived the suit, I also had an issue with the left boot. When I got out and was walking around, it felt like I'd grown an air insole in the left boot. It had a big squishy air bubble that (I guess) was between the inner sole (really, a neoprene sock) and the outer sole (the rubber outsole).

With both boots having problems and not being able to find the leak in the right boot, I decided to mail it back and get them to deal with it. If they decide to replace the boots, I have asked for them to be replaced with the Tech boots.

I'll update after they receive the suit and let me know something.

I just mailed my Ultra back to Seaskin on Saturday. I got the regular boots. They didn't have the Tech boot option when I ordered my suit.

My right boot has had a tiny leak since the suit was new. It's weird because it seems like it only leaks when I first get in. I'm thinking that it's pulling water in when I get some squeeze on the suit and then when I start pumping some air into the suit, it's enough to keep any more water from coming in.

The last time I dived the suit, I also had an issue with the left boot. When I got out and was walking around, it felt like I'd grown an air insole in the left boot. It had a big squishy air bubble that (I guess) was between the inner sole (really, a neoprene sock) and the outer sole (the rubber outsole).

With both boots having problems and not being able to find the leak in the right boot, I decided to mail it back and get them to deal with it. If they decide to replace the boots, I have asked for them to be replaced with the Tech boots.

I'll update after they receive the suit and let me know something.

As I have told you before, you should have gone with an O3 suit :p

As I have told you before, you should have gone with an O3 suit :p

And you still haven't given a valid, logical reason why... Are you suggesting that O3 NEVER ships out a suit with ANYTHING wrong with it?

Are you suggesting that O3 NEVER ships out a suit with ANYTHING wrong with it?

Not as far as I know, not BOTH boots that are bad.

I liked @stuartv description of his Ultra as "a compressed neoprene suit will also let me get away with minimal undergarments. I.e. I wanted to be able to use it like a wetsuit, but be dry and warmer." I have the same objective in a minimal suit just for boat diving in water temps of 50-60°F, and came up with this build:

Step 1: Seaskin Ultra, all black
Step 2: Convenience Zip with Velcro Flap, Light Monkey Non-Balanced P-Valve, main zipper Velcro Cover
Step 3: All neoprene seals
Step 4: All Sitech Valves
Step 5: Neoprene Socks
Step 6: Kelvar Knee Pads (no stitching, no logo)
Step 7: Braces
Step 8: Bellows Pocket or Flat Pocket (1x)

Add: 150gsm Undergarment

I'm uncertain about two options:
Is the main zipper cover worthwhile as protection or does it tend to be in the way when using the zipper?
I've never had a drysuit with pockets, will the Bellows pocket go flat when not in use, or should I just go with the Flat pocket option?

Appreciate any comments.

I would not get a P valve and a convenience zip. I would just get a P valve.

I would not worry about pockets that are not flat when they’re empty. Pockets can be very handy.

No downside to the zipper cover, in my view.

Thanks Stuart, I'll take your advice on the zipper cover & pockets.

I currently dive with a P-valve, but for the sake of simplicity I'm thinking the convenience zip alone could be sufficient on the Ultra. I added the P-valve just as a placeholder should I change my mind in the future. Is there something else about convenience zips that makes them undesirable? Tnx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom