Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As there was in my bag also a bees wax stick, I've reached out to YKK, to get a definate answer as to maintane their Aquaseal zipper.

They send me the attached pdf. In it also a passage to maintaning the zipper.

Can somebody explane the difference between along and on the elements?

Attachments

• Aquaseal Flyer_Web.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
As there was in my bag also a bees wax stick, I've reached out to YKK, to get a definate answer as to maintane their Aquaseal zipper.

They send me the attached pdf. In it also a passage to maintaning the zipper.

Can somebody explane the difference between along and on the elements?
They want to confuse you. Is it the plastic zip or brass zip?

This is dumb...
Screenshot_20240307_080029_Drive.jpg

I think it's just saying you have two things, wax (mine came in a chapstick like dispenser) and a silicone lubricant (mine came in a small tube). The wax goes on the zipper, the lubricant goes on the dock as shown in the illustration.

The wax goes on the zipper....
I have never heard or read that before in my life. From my understanding silicone in the docking port, inside and outside, and that's it (for a plastic zip). The wax is for brass... and yes I got some in my kit too, I think they just send out a generic kit to everyone, idk

I have never heard or read that before in my life. From my understanding silicone in the docking port, inside and outside, and that's it (for a plastic zip). The wax is for brass... and yes I got some in my kit too, I think they just send out a generic kit to everyone, idk
This is direct from Seaskin's manual. Note that they don't differentiate between plastic or metal zips:

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.43.08 AM.png

This is direct from Seaskin's manual. Note that they don't differentiate between plastic or metal zips:

View attachment 830518
Well, 1st off, Seaskin doesn't make zippers. They just use / install them. And they should absolutely differentiate, it's 2 different kinds of zippers.

I'm not saying any of this to sound mean, there's just different methods for taking care of brass / plastic.

You'll never hear wax on plastic and you'll never need silicone on the docking ends of brass.

Well, 1st off, Seaskin doesn't make zippers. They just use / install them. And they should absolutely differentiate, it's 2 different kinds of zippers.

I'm not saying any of this to sound mean, there's just different methods for taking care of brass / plastic.

You'll never hear wax on plastic and you'll never need silicone on the docking ends of brass.
And you'll never need to use that crap bees wax on a brass zip. It just flakes off in cold water. Use the chapstick style soft wax on brass.

They want to confuse you. Is it the plastic zip or brass zip?

This is dumb...
View attachment 830510
Indeed strange formulating. And source of my confusion.

It's for the plastic ykk. Aquaseal is the trading name for it.

In the email they wrote, you can use a lubricant like Zip Tech Stick.

@mje113 since Seaskin didn't differentiate between plastic and brass, I assume they provide the information on their standard zip. Plastic is an option. And since YKK is the one responsible for the function of the zip, I've asked their maintenance directions.

My next email will contain the question, witch side on and witch side along is.

My guess is, along is the side you see when the zipper is closed. I can imagine lube on the connecting elements can interfere with the sealing function of the zipper.

@mje113 since Seaskin didn't differentiate between plastic and brass, I assume they provide the information on their standard zip. Plastic is an option. And since YKK is the one responsible for the function of the zip, I've asked their maintenance directions

The pdf you posted above, from YKK, about their zipper, instructs the user to wax the zipper and lubricate the dock.

My point about seaskin was just that their instructions match YKK's.

At the end of the day I highly doubt there's much of a difference between waxing or not waxing. I think the more important point is to not lubricate the teeth in the zipper... maybe because that'll attract dirt and sand.

Since this thread has become the de facto clearinghouse for dry suit related questions, I’d like to know how you secure your dry suit inflator hose in case case it pops off the inflator valve and flys off behind you (specifically for BP/W).

I wonder what others have experienced, but my 150g undergarment is really hard to get off. I wish they’d left another inch or so in the crotch area to facilitate this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom