Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just looking at how all these different cuff systems work mechanically, and I haven't tried ANY of them, I do like the way the Rolocks twist on as opposed to pushing on. That's just me being a YouTube commando though. The only thing I can imagine being an issue is if you were to twist your forearm quite a bit to perform some task underwater and the cuff comes undone. For you, having worn them in real life, do you see that ever happening. And based on your experience with them, are you more confident in them staying secured versus something that could pull off?
No, you can't accidentally twist them off. If you look at your arm, wrist does not twist, it's forearm. So, whole sleeve is twisting with your wrist.
All systems are quite safe, but in theory, pull off could be accidentally pulled if you catch on something and try really hard. IMO, chances of that are so small it shouldn't be part of any considerations.

Just looking at how all these different cuff systems work mechanically, and I haven't tried ANY of them, I do like the way the Rolocks twist on as opposed to pushing on. That's just me being a YouTube commando though. The only thing I can imagine being an issue is if you were to twist your forearm quite a bit to perform some task underwater and the cuff comes undone. For you, having worn them in real life, do you see that ever happening. And based on your experience with them, are you more confident in them staying secured versus something that could pull off?

I have a little over 100 dives on the Waterproof set. They just push in, no turning. I trust them so much I got rid of the seals (actually they got torn and I just continued diving). So warm air travels into my glove a lot easier.. no seals to contend with. It's very comfortable.

A lot of people have done the same on SB, so it wasn't my idea.

I am going to order a Seaskin Nova. My configuration so far:
  • Fully Telescopic Torso
  • Allowance for extra thick undersuits
  • Main Body Dry Zip Cover
  • YKK Plastic Dry Zip
  • Pee Valve Hose Tidy
  • Quick Neck system with Silflex seal
  • Warm Neck Simple
  • SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (Siflex seals)
  • Move Dump (DIR)
  • Compressed Neoprene Socks
  • Kevlar Knee Pads
  • PU Crutch Reinforcement
  • PU Shoulder Reinforcement
  • Increase Braces width to 40mm
  • Change Mat Drysuit Bag Upgrade
  • Expedition Pocket – Position of expedition pocket: Right thigh outside seam
  • Second Expedition Pocket – Position of expedition pocket: Left thigh outside seam
  • Computer Strap Patches x2 – Strap position: Right forearm
  • Computer Strap Patches x2 (Second set) – Strap position: Left forearm
  • Eezycut Trilobite on forearm or pocket – Colour: Hi Viz Yellow/Orange, Position: Left Forearm
Total price USD1.145 incl. shipping and customs.

I skipped P-Valve the because I will go for the Heser P-Valve and Quick Release Set. Some options may be unnecessary like the Computer Straps but imho it's better to have then need.

Any opinions about this configuration or suggestions for improvement?

I already have Kallweit Gator Boots, Kwark Navy Undergarment and Waterproof Hood and gloves. The Waterproof Neoprene Neckseal is on my List.

Allowance for extra thick undersuits
Nice build. I didn't get the extra room for thick undergarments and dive in 39F/4C with a Santi BZ400x, fleece vest, and expedition-weight base layer underneath for a good chunk of the year without any issues fitting it all in the suit, restricting movement, etc. YMMV

My Nova is still going strong after 2.5 years of regular use (and some abuse). Ended up being $1,600, even after the duty charge or whatever they call it. A friend just paid more than triple that for a DUI and waited just as long because they messed up a measurement (took mine 16 weeks, hers was ultimately 15). You're going to love it!

I am going to order a Seaskin Nova. My configuration so far:
  • Fully Telescopic Torso
  • Allowance for extra thick undersuits
  • Main Body Dry Zip Cover
  • YKK Plastic Dry Zip
  • Pee Valve Hose Tidy
  • Quick Neck system with Silflex sealWarm Neck Simple
  • SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (Siflex seals)
  • Move Dump (DIR)
  • Compressed Neoprene Socks
  • Kevlar Knee Pads
  • PU Crutch Reinforcement
  • PU Shoulder Reinforcement
  • Increase Braces width to 40mm
  • Change Mat Drysuit Bag Upgrade
  • Expedition Pocket – Position of expedition pocket: Right thigh outside seam
  • Second Expedition Pocket – Position of expedition pocket: Left thigh outside seam
  • Computer Strap Patches x2 – Strap position: Right forearm
  • Computer Strap Patches x2 (Second set) – Strap position: Left forearm
  • Eezycut Trilobite on forearm or pocket – Colour: Hi Viz Yellow/Orange, Position: Left Forearm
Total price USD1.145 incl. shipping and customs.

I skipped P-Valve the because I will go for the Heser P-Valve and Quick Release Set. Some options may be unnecessary like the Computer Straps but imho it's better to have then need.

Any opinions about this configuration or suggestions for improvement?

I already have Kallweit Gator Boots, Kwark Navy Undergarment and Waterproof Hood and gloves. The Waterproof Neoprene Neckseal is on my List.
Will you be diving in really cold water and need extra thick undergarments? I didn’t opt for the extra room and there’s still plenty of room for thicker under garments. Just something to think about.

P.S. I think you’ll be happy with the setup you picked. I pretty much have the same build and am very happy.

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and going to pull the trigger today on a Seaskin Nova!
Here's my build:

- Full Black Color
- Full telescope
- zip cover
- Trigon P valve
- Quick Neck w/ Silicone seals
- Warm neck
- Kubi rings w/ Silicone seals
- Kubi cover (With drygloves, are these really needed..?)
- DIR dump
- Sitech valves (based on feedback that the apeks valves can leak)
- Neo Socks
- Kevlar and all the PU patches except back
- 40mm braces
- Name badge
- NO logos
- Zipper pocket on left and right
- Computer strap on left
- Trilobite on right pocket
Total price on this build is $1223.53 USD Shipped

Debating whether going with Kubi rings or the Oval rings based on price. I will be using a dryglove system.
Also - Wondering if the zippered pockets have a D-ring for securing gear, I don't see that they do...?
Planning on purchasing these extras:
- Undersuit from Seaskin. Water temps around here in the winter are around 47 F, not sure if I should do the 150 or the 250
- A different brand hood, like Fourth Element.
- Dryglove system (Kubi, Rolok, or Waterproof Ultima)
- Rock boots or neoprene booties

Debating whether going with Kubi rings or the Oval rings based on price. I will be using a dryglove system.
I have had both ovals and Kubis. Between those two, Kubis every time.
Now I can't reference Kubis to other versions of dry gloves. It has been too many years since I kept up to date on the different brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom