Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grabbed some new undergarments off Craigslist. It's a Scuba Force X-Nine, which from the build of it looks like a poor man's Halo 3D. New with tags for $150. I'm wondering if I have no undergarments on the order if there will be less chance of getting stabbed as bad by customs.

I'm considering the oval cuff system with use of simple pullover dry gloves. Not sure yet though. Some say the gloves won't work with the ovals but I've seen a couple youtube videos doing it. Seems that would give a changeable wrist seal, that's less invasive than round, have the option of using cheap gloves, and if the water isn't too cold, still use 3mm wet gloves.

I was on the fence about doing the same thing with the pullover dry gloves. You gotta get the oval rings anyway if you want to add Kubi or Rolocks, so it's worth a shot. The only downside is you'll spend a bit more to buy the dryglove system after the fact if it doesn't work out.

I did end up getting the Rolocks though and so far I've been really happy with them. I don't notice the rings when diving. The biggest problem for me would be when I throw my suit on top of the tonneau cover while unpacking and donning/doffing, they'll kinda bang against the side of the truck if I'm not careful. On warmer dives I just ditch the liners on my drygloves. I'd have no preference between thin wet and dry gloves for that, it's just that everything's ready to go with the drygloves so I don't mess with it.

I got the seaskin 250 undersuit and wouldn't do that again. I'd used the DUI 300 2-piece when I'd rented in the past and like that better. The undersuit is too lofted in my opinion and doesn't stretch, so when I dive and have a bit of squeeze in the suit, it feels slightly more restrictive than like a fleece material. It's not THAT bad, and I'll continue to dive it, but I'm casually looking for a good deal on something different.

In hindsight I also think I would've done the moved dump valve option. I feel like I have to really get sideways (like 45 degree turn) and turn my arm to get air to dump, where in my rental suits I feel like I just barely turn and lift the elbow slightly. I thought those suits had standard dump positions, but now I think they're what Seaskin calls DIR. Pretty minor thing though, and I'm pretty much used to it after a dozen dives with it. Definitely not worth having it altered now.

Otherwise I'm really happy with my suit. It feels like it's going to hold up well too, but only time will tell on that.

I was on the fence about doing the same thing with the pullover dry gloves. You gotta get the oval rings anyway if you want to add Kubi or Rolocks, so it's worth a shot. The only downside is you'll spend a bit more to buy the dryglove system after the fact if it doesn't work out.

I did end up getting the Rolocks though and so far I've been really happy with them.
Just looking at how all these different cuff systems work mechanically, and I haven't tried ANY of them, I do like the way the Rolocks twist on as opposed to pushing on. That's just me being a YouTube commando though. The only thing I can imagine being an issue is if you were to twist your forearm quite a bit to perform some task underwater and the cuff comes undone. For you, having worn them in real life, do you see that ever happening. And based on your experience with them, are you more confident in them staying secured versus something that could pull off?

Just got my Seaskin in the other day. I'm impressed by the quality. Now just have to wait till later to take it out. Much too warm in my area right now to need it.
View attachment 678170
Picture is a little rough from lighting angles and such, it's looks much better up close.

Fedex bill was only $55 and I got the bill after they delivered the suit.

Now I just need to decide on Undergaments. I want to get some good stuff without paying a high price. Seems like some companies charge way too much (looking at you 4th Element) for what you actually get. I bought some thermals for skiing that are fantastic and cost significantly less than 4th Element's base layer. Now just need to look at getting some thicker undergarments.
Which pockets are those?

A dozen dives with it so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't see them coming off accidentally. The fabric of the suit allows your hand to twist more than you can move your wrist. When donned you'll never feel like you have limited range of motion twisting your wrist... maybe just a smidge resistance at the extremes, but nowhere near enough to budge the ring. So like when donning you can get them twisted maybe 1/10 of the way locked without using your other hand to hold the sleeve side, and it gets harder to turn as it locks.

You'd have to have your suit caught against something right next to the cuff, then you'd have to turn your wrist pretty hard for it to come off. Your glove flooding probably wouldn't be your biggest problem if it happened.

Maybe others with more dives have a different view, but that's my experience.

I don't have experience with other dryglove systems. I always used wet before this so I can't really compare. If you end up going with a system through Seaskin, I don't think you can really go wrong with either Kubi or Rolock. If I had to order another suit today I'd get the Rolocks again.

Just looking at how all these different cuff systems work mechanically, and I haven't tried ANY of them, I do like the way the Rolocks twist on as opposed to pushing on. That's just me being a YouTube commando though. The only thing I can imagine being an issue is if you were to twist your forearm quite a bit to perform some task underwater and the cuff comes undone. For you, having worn them in real life, do you see that ever happening. And based on your experience with them, are you more confident in them staying secured versus something that could pull off?
I got the oval cuffs and love them. Super easy to switch to my ultima dry gloves too.

The money that I will end up saving on the Nova, will pay for the entire remainder of my scuba kit. For many people, that's the difference between diving and not diving with their own gear.
I paid less for mine and my wife’s suit than I would have for 2 suit from other manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom