Seahawks in the Superbowl!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
One for the thumb baby, ... buncha whiners.

As long as the boys from Pittsburgh are getting one for the thumb, I hope they don't forget to include one of the goodfellas who locked up the game for them...
Bob Waggoner, Pittsburgh native, the back judge who called OI on Darrell Jackson in the end zone.

One of your most memorable Niners, Steve Young, said that call was terrible. I've always adimired that guy.

Favored teams aside, what did you think of the officiating?

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, the SeaSlugs didn't capitalize on all their opportunities. But, there were several calls that changed the aspect of the game. Something nobody has addressed on any of the bulletin boards I've read is momentum. At the start of the game the SeaSlugs had it. As the one-side officiated continued they lost it to the Stealers (Yes I know I spelled it wrong!) In the second half the SeaSlugs made several attempts to get the momentum back, but each time their legs were cut under them by the referees.

Honestly, I'm not a big football watcher. It was the third game I watched all season. I would have liked to see the SeaSlugs win, but I think I'm impartial too. The calls appeared one-sided to me.

Bill B.

By the way, did anyone else see the David Letterman show where Roethlisberger said he told his coach he didn't think he made it.

Steve Egner:
As long as the boys from Pittsburgh are getting one for the thumb, I hope they don't forget to include one of the goodfellas who locked up the game for them...
Bob Waggoner, Pittsburgh native, the back judge who called OI on Darrell Jackson in the end zone.

One of your most memorable Niners, Steve Young, said that call was terrible. I've always adimired that guy.

Favored teams aside, what did you think of the officiating?

Cheers,

Steve

Officiating sucked, but given the +4 point swing on the bad call you mentioned, and even if the Steelers touchdown is turned into a field goal, all the math together and Pittsburg still wins. All whining and bad officiating aside ... Seattle looked scary only for about the first 10 minutes of the game (really scary) then its like that team left the field an another group took over, and we never saw the better team return.

I saw the same bad play calling from Holmgren in this superbowl as the one he called vs Denver years ago. There are times much sooner that he should just turn over a struggling game to the quarter back, like he did TOO LATE in this one (with about 42 seconds on the clock). I'm neither a Steelers nor a Seahawks fan ... and almost always root for the underdog ... unless it's coached by Mike Holmgren, so I had no choice but to root for the Steelers. I miss Red, the retired referee, famous for his "First Dooooown" calls.

Aside ... Steve is a much better sportscaster than Joe was. I also heard a news story that each of the MVPs was offered $1k (plus all incidentals and travel) to appear in the pregame show, Joe asked for $100k and was turned down flat. He is rarely associated with controversial news stories, but this was a bit of a disappointing connection.

DiverBuoy Said:

Officiating sucked

An astute observation, echoed by non-partisan fans of good football across the nation.

But this?

Diverbuoy continued

but given the +4 point swing on the bad call you mentioned, and even if the Steelers touchdown is turned into a field goal, all the math together and Pittsburg still wins.

If "all the math" is put together, Seattle comes home with a win. You forgot to mention the (non) holding call on Sean Locklear that negated a Jeremy Stevens reception at the one yard line.

The problem I have with the "math" approach is that it doesn't take into account the overall effect of bad officiating on the victimized team's play... They begin to second-guess themselves, and are forced to play within the bounds of incompetent (or biased) referrees rather than within the bounds of their talent. Too much like figure skating.

I think papps953 nailed it:

Something nobody has addressed on any of the bulletin boards I've read is momentum. At the start of the game the SeaSlugs had it. As the one-side officiated continued they lost it to the Stealers (Yes I know I spelled it wrong!) In the second half the SeaSlugs made several attempts to get the momentum back, but each time their legs were cut under them by the referees.

This game wasn't just a disappointment to Seahawks fans, it was a disappointment to fans of good football everywhere. This kind of officiating would be tough to swallow during the regular season, but it is absolutely inexcusable during a superbowl.

I believe that if the NFL want to maintain the impression that the outcome of the game will be decided by the players, they'll have to let the men play,
with less meddling and a higher performance standard from the officials. Otherwise, the outcome is tainted, causing objective fans to question the integrity of the game.

It may be a holdover from my pre-teen years, but I still want to believe it's a good game.

Steve

Steve I'm a diehard Niner fan and find it difficult to root for anyone else. The Hawks were robbed huge in that game. It's a shame, they deserved the win and the Pittsburg native sealed the win for the Steelers.

Al Mialkovsky:
the Pittsburg native sealed the win for the Steelers.

A bit surprising that hasn't gotten more media attention. I think the Commish has some serious squelch power.

On the bright side, it opens up a new aspect of the game: Previewing Referee Bio's.
If the NFL doesn't have the sense to enforce an "arm's length" arrangement in filling the ref positions, they deserve to be tarnished.

Or maybe they could employ half the squad from each team's locale, insuring an equal number of "homers", and stretching the game to 8 hours... They'd like that, I think. Lots of room to sell more commercials.

Steve

I'll be frank, I saw what seemed like a hundred camera angles and way too much wasted game time on the protracted review of the steelers TD, but in the end irrefutable evidence was not found. If a molecule of pigskin broke the ethereal plane it was buried under arms and jerseys. As for the pushoff that wasn't on the hawks td ... all of us football fans want to say "oh comon ref, just let them play" but sometimes it's about the sell ... and the safety or dback won an oscar on that performance tossing his shoulder back and stalling. The rest of the calls well it was bad both ways ... and in the end while the steel persisted the hawks became extinct. If you want to blame it on anyone look no further than the play caller on their sideline, the grumpy walrus. BTW, I never caught why he was a no-show in the middle of the field for the congratulatory handshake ... what class.

Wrap it anyway you want but no Super Bowl has ever suffered officiating like that. Even #7 said he didn't make that TD. I must say it WAS an entertaining game even if we'll never know how it might actually have ended under different circumstances.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom