Sea Sickness?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaker once bubbled...
(Big note, I didn't see where this article was posted originally, but you don't know if the good Doc who wrote it had any thoughts towards diving when writing it.)

One note on Scopolamine, it tends to have a similar effect as if you had a drink or two. If you were dependent on Scop to make a trip enjoyable etc, definately try it before you leave so you know the effects before you get on a boat.

Hopefully one of the docs will chime on on the possible effects of Scop on diving, one big no-no I've *heard* is diving with the patch on, and that the patch getting wet increases the absorbtion rate. I don't know either of these last two for sure, but I'd say its would be a VERY good idea to talk to a doctor knowledgeable in diving regarding the proper use of scop patches & diving.

I called DAN's medical department about Scop and the suppository, whihc is a really good idea before taking ANY medication while diving and they warn:
(a) They really do not know exactly what effect pressure may have on Scop or the other way around. It can make some people drowzy, so he suggested taking it for a few days in advance to learn if it'll affect you harshly; on the other hand, it could help with air sickness? He also advised not taking using it with Sudafed. He didn't think saltwater would affect the patch.
(b) The Promethazine is really harsh, and the suggested that while it the only thing that will probably work once ill, he would skip diving once he took it.

Again, I'd call DAN before using any of these, and - you can email the author:

Dr. Anderson: andermar@teleport.com

Don :google:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom