Sea sickness tablets or device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

depending on the dose and the person taking it, Meclazine might affect you with drowziness. Scopolamine patches may cause hallucinations so be aware of that. If possible, ask your Primary Care physician about Odansteron (Zofran). It works well as it is an antiemtic, but be careful how much you take. It can cause a condition called Wolfe-Parkinson-White Syndrome which is a condition that affects the cardiac rhythm. It will give you an additional wave towards the end of the cardiac wave cycle (I'm really trying to make this more understandable for laypersons). As a paramedic, working out of the back of an ambulance, I used ginger pills. I saw this done on MythBusters (right! Actual science!). It worked wonders for me until my equilibrium was improved. Like "sea legs" but in an ambulance. However, do whatever works best for you, but please contact your doctor before you just decide to start taking any medications.

Hello folks,
I'm going to do my first weekend of sea diving. Please can someone suggest any sea sickness tablets I can use or any device like an wrist band?
I went to my local chemist and they sold me I probably need something more than tourist sea sickness tablets. This is just for precaution.

NB a medicine I can buy in uk would be useful.

thank you
I'd agree with Meclizine 25 mg 1 hour before you dive but that's not generally available OTC in the UK.
Any of the meds you take to prevent sea sickness generally make you drowsy so try before you dive.
Speak to your UK GP and see if the can get you meclizine as it's one of the best for divers to use.
As others have mentioned, it will make you a bit dry too (as does breathing compressed gas) so just make sure you drink plenty of fluids especially if doing multi dives.

For natural remedies some people find ginger helps.

Safe diving

Thanks everyone, yes, i'm in the uk, I think I will try these because they are over the counter, and cheap, 3 pounds from boots chemist. Thank you for your advice.

1720984252724.png

I am looking for a good option myself.

All suggesstions here actually may cause
sleepiness or similar symptoms. Actually something I want to avoid at all cost while diving.
I was once suggested cinnarizine, as a fresh owd diver. That worked, but in retrospective it has to many side effects, especially the ones mentioned above. I should have read this and not trust the base owner...

Currently I just take Zintona, which are ginger based pills. I believe It did help in day boats, but I never have been on a liveaboard ...

Food - for real. Empty stomach makes me seasick so I always make sure to eat something light when I get on the boat. Bonus points: hateful (jealous?) looks of other divers :yeahbaby: .

Kwells if the sea state is expected to be very rough or if I’m hungover. Always in combination with some caffeine.

Has anyone tried the glasses? The electronic wrist bands have helped me too. The ones that take a battery. But what has helped the most is the scoplomine patches for sure.

Food - for real. Empty stomach makes me seasick so I always make sure to eat something light when I get on the boat. Bonus points: hateful (jealous?) looks of other divers :yeahbaby: .

Kwells if the sea state is expected to be very rough or if I’m hungover. Always in combination with some caffeine.

I have tried all the above remedies but eating before I go on a boat far outweighs any of them.

Last year I tried going out with just eating and it ended up being the day that I should have taken a pill. I was 85% good. My body was done being on the boat, but I could manage. Eating and taking something does the trick for me every time. Like stand down below in choppy waves singing because I feel fantastic kind of good!

I have tried all the above remedies but eating before I go on a boat far outweighs any of them.

Last year I tried going out with just eating and it ended up being the day that I should have taken a pill. I was 85% good. My body was done being on the boat, but I could manage. Eating and taking something does the trick for me every time. Like stand down below in choppy waves singing because I feel fantastic kind of good!
I agree with the above. But avoid super greasy, fatty foods and then going out on rough seas. I can tell you from experience that bacon DOES NOT taste better the second time around........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom