Tips from divers with mild asthma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No medical advice....you already know that cold, dry air and the stress you mentioned can cause an asthmatic to trap air on ascent...the question as a diver, and only you can answer it, is are you willing to assume that risk? We hear call level of risk a "roll of the dice"; if it comes up snake eyes, you lose everything. Strictly as a fellow diver remember if you embolize your fellow divers will also pay a price.

Diving is always about assumption of risk...good luck and I am sure you can find a diving medicine doctor in UK.

PS...Our Dive Manual and Standards list asthma as an "absolute contraindication" for diving. Asthma by definition is 'air trapping' and the degree of air trapping may be a moot point; like being a 'little bit pregnant' overexpansion forcing an AGE is the risk. It only takes one.
I am curious as to which manual you are referring to as Our Dive Manual. Just trying to learn...

I am curious as to which manual you are referring to as Our Dive Manual. Just trying to learn...
The standards I referred to were in the Humboldt State University Diving Safety Manual [which mirrored the AAUS standards] and the American Academy Of Underwater Sciences [AAUS] standards....be advised that I have not reviewed either for decades but physics and physiology do not change, even if current dive practices may...often in my opinion standards are diminished to the determent of the divers, but in the interest of commercial entities trying to expand their base and 'bottom line'...just my opinion and observation not intended to impugn anyone or agency....an axiom that served me well for diving safety was: "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt".

DSO

The standards I referred to were in the Humboldt State University Diving Safety Manual [which mirrored the AAUS standards] and the American Academy Of Underwater Sciences [AAUS] standards....be advised that I have not reviewed either for decades but physics and physiology do not change, even if current dive practices may...often in my opinion standards are diminished to the determent of the divers, but in the interest of commercial entities trying to expand their base and 'bottom line'...just my opinion and observation not intended to impugn anyone or agency....an axiom that served me well for diving safety was: "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt".

DSO
Excellent! Thank you! I was curious since I have asthma and I'm cleared to dive.

Excellent! Thank you! I was curious since I have asthma and I'm cleared to dive.
You are welcome...in days of yore a person with any air trapping disease, such as asthma/emphysema, it was considered an "absolute contraindication" for diving...like stated, it is always an individual choice how much risk we assume when diving.....for my divers I always errored on the conservative side...as much as I love diving, 69+ years, in my judgment there is a lot more to life...use logic and common sense to adjudge what is best for you, your call all the way...

DSO

Back
Top Bottom