SDI solo diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive solo when the mood takes me. I have never done the solo course but I am Trimix and Full Cave trained which I consider to be an acceptable substitute.

I might consider doing the solo course if it actually meant that I could dive solo openly,but in most places that does not seem to be the case.
I cannot imagine a solo diving course like this covering more than full cave. If I didn't think I had the ability to safely exit a cave dive by myself (be it intro level in 2 weeks, or full cave in the future), I wouldn't do it. I try to find buddies I trust, but you never know what situations may come up.

Originally Posted by Alex777
Interesting. The course description includes this:

...., Spare Air(TM)."
Not when I teach it:no

How is that possible? I am not looking into a spare air debate, only that if SDI says it is an approved redundant air supply, how can you not accept it as an SDI instructor?

I guess on a broader note this is where I have problems with some agencies that allow instructors to shotgun their courses. I am all for learning above and beyond the bare course standards, but not at the risk of failing because I can pass the standard but not the extras...

I dive solo when the mood takes me.
I might consider doing the solo course if it actually meant that I could dive solo openly,but in most places that does not seem to be the case.

There are operators who require the cert if you are going to dive solo. The gulf diving boats are one.

TwoBit

Personally I can't imagine such a dive, but I lack imagination.

Adequate bailout if your snorkel springs a leak or freeflows as long as you're no deeper than 6 inches i guess.

I wonder if this course is worth taking if someone has already been technically trained so already has the concepts of redundancy, self-rescue,gas planning and so on ?
Without the standards being available its difficult to tell really.

BTW, thanks for sending my C card back!

You are very welcome. I do what I can. Besides, the picture on it was far too pretty for anyone to believe it was me. :wink:

Adequate bailout if your snorkel springs a leak or freeflows as long as you're no deeper than 6 inches i guess.

I wonder if this course is worth taking if someone has already been technically trained so already has the concepts of redundancy, self-rescue,gas planning and so on ?
Without the standards being available its difficult to tell really.

I guess you could break it down as, #1 this is a non-biased opinion of whether you have considered everything and set your gear up in a way that makes sense for solo diving. Most tech divers don't dive solo, while the training and gear may overlap, the mindset often doesn't.

#2, and probably the most legit reason a seasoned diver would take this course is to be able dive solo when such a card is required. My local quarry alows only solo card holders to solo dive. I have heard some live aboards also.

I guess of you're in a place where they ask for cards to be allowed to do things it makes sense. Hadn't thought of that one (generally you dont need a card for anything here).

How is that possible? I am not looking into a spare air debate, only that if SDI says it is an approved redundant air supply, how can you not accept it as an SDI instructor?

I guess on a broader note this is where I have problems with some agencies that allow instructors to shotgun their courses. I am all for learning above and beyond the bare course standards, but not at the risk of failing because I can pass the standard but not the extras...
Easy, I dive and teach in an environment where spare air is not appropriate. If I were teaching in shallow tropical water I may feel differently but in my experience spare air is not adequate for our local waters. I do cover this option in my course. I cover all the reasons why it is a bad idea:D
I must consider the safety of my students above all. Just because the agency allows it does not mean I have to teach it. I follow the standards of training very carefully and I always refer to the training standards to ensure all aspects of the course are covered. There is no requirement that I teach it and I choose not to. A student who feels that strongly about using spare air is always welcome to find another instructor.

Easy, I dive and teach in an environment where spare air is not appropriate. If I were teaching in shallow tropical water I may feel differently but in my experience spare air is not adequate for our local waters.

Ok, well that makes a bit of sense then...

Back
Top Bottom