Scubapro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of them have that, which was the basis for the 2 year service interval. Nobody's said anything concrete that I've seen about what, if anything, makes the T3 (3 yr interval) different from the T1-2x (2 yr interval). You'll get no dispute from me that 3 years isn't long at all for servicing a well-maintained AA reg, but I'd like to know why the sudden extension of suggested service interval.

I'm reasonably confident that it's nothing more than an incentive to buy a very expensive new regulator.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Interesting thread . I have owned multiple sets of Scubapro and Atomic . The Atomics were a little more reliable . I found Mk15 , Mk20 to lose their tune permaturely .
Never had a problem at all with a few Mk10 sets .

I suspect you had problems with a non-updated seat carrier (and seat material) in the MK15 and one of the lousy brass tipped pistons in the MK20. With the composite piston, the MK20 holds IP for a verrryyyy looonnngggg time, hundreds of dives.

The MK15 suffered from a disastrous external IP adjusting scheme that literally ground the knife edge piston into the seat. SP really screwed the pooch on that one. Eventually they dumped all those seat retainers, went back to the proven shim system, and found a seat material that worked. I don't use my MK15 that much, just a few dives/year, but it's been at least 5 years since I rebuilt it. I check IP every time I use it and it's solid as a rock.

If this ever happens again, your shop or the shops technician should have just replaced your broken G200 cover with a new G250v cover. These face plates are still readily available. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the scubapro warranty policy.

It has been told to me many times, by District Reps, and Factory Reps, that Atomic regs have a lifetime warranty. Regardless of the service interval.

The Factory rep amplified this with the following examples:

The customer buys a reg, then, drops out of diving for 10 years. The reg is never serviced. They then discover that the reg has a defect (for example, the chrome plating is peeling). The reg is 100% covered under warranty.

Or, someone buys a reg, and dives it hard. Say, 4-6 dives a week. They own it for 10 years and only have it serviced once. When a defect is found after ten years, as long as it isn't caused by abuse (the case is cracked because they drove a car over it), the reg is covered 100% by warranty.

All the best, James

and the Beav has said many times that Scubapro has the same warranty.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

If this ever happens again, your shop or the shops technician should have just replaced your broken G200 cover with a new G250v cover. These face plates are still readily available. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the scubapro warranty policy.

His dive shop was a turd. When Scubapro said they no longer had a cover they should have either swapped with with a G250 cover which should have been available at the time or called other Scubapro dealers in the area looking for a cover. Actually, charging him for the phone call makes them big stinking turds.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

His dive shop was a turd. When Scubapro said they no longer had a cover they should have either swapped with with a G250 cover which should have been available at the time or called other Scubapro dealers in the area looking for a cover. Actually, charging him for the phone call makes them big stinking turds.
Yes, it took me by surprise.
I went in there with the thought that I could just buy a new cover even if they had to order it. I wasn't even looking for a freebie because it was my fault it broke.
So then I get a run around and finally had to pay them an extortion fee just to get my reg back.
What I should have done was had them see if they could order a cover and not leave the reg set with them. As my memory serves I remember them telling me to leave the reg with them so they could match it up or something like that. If they couldn't get one they should just have said I was out of luck and given me my stuff back. At least I would have more respect for them.
I'm wondering now if they've pulled this with other customers charging them for their "research".
God what a dinosaurs these dive shops are!
They're the sleaziest people out there, worse than used car dealers.

As far as high performance piston regulators go, what are the pluses and minuses in all aspects between Scubapro regs and Atomic regs?
I wondering about build quality, innovation, servicability, availability of parts for the DIY, pricing, political issues as far as business model of the two companies.

I know that Atomic was started by the two lead designers of Scubapro that left to start Atomic.
What was the primer for their leaving?
What new innovations did they do to make Atomic better? or is Atomic just a continuation of SP with not much change to the basic workings of the regulators.

I know that I can get parts for Atomics readily and cheaper than SP. SP parts are expensive and not available unless you run accross kits on ebay or sourced parts for their older regs.
I've had several issues with SP as far as their warranty policies and getting jerked around by them, so I'm not a fan of their business model but I do like their regs, especially the older ones.

I have never owned an Atomic reg nor do I know anything about them other than what I've read, and I've never heard anything negative about them other than the price. So then I'm wondering if Atomics are a good example of you get what you pay for.

I love my older SP regs, and I service them myself. No problems. I have two Mk25/S600 regs that I use for my back mounted doubles. One is not under warranty and I service it myself with SP parts I get by hook or by crook. The other is one I bought new and I bring it in to the LDS service dept to keep the warranty current. The one I service is consistently the most trouble free and a great breather. The other is forever being brought back in for tweaks, leaks, or poor second stage performance. (Ok, I'll eventually get tired and adjust the thing myself to end the problem until the next LDS overhaul, but don't tell my LDS that).

I tried once to buy a new second stage (G250V) to attach to an older first stage (Mk10), and that LDS told me they wouldn't sell me any SP second stage individually--it had to be part of a set. The LDS down the road will sell first and second stages individually, but they're the ones I've had the service dept issues with noted above.

The point is, I'm kind of over new SP products, and I've moved on--tired of the quirky warranty/parts for life rules and the exasperating repeat trips back to the LDS to get the work done right. My older Mk5's and Mk10's work great and cost little to overhaul properly. Aftermarket HP seats are available, as are good quality O-rings. Vintage Double Hose has inexpensive aftermarket rebuild kits available. Any new gear I buy will be from a manufacturer of a reg that has parts available to the customer.

I don't have any experience with Atomic servicing or availability of DIY parts, but have seen parts for sale in a couple of places. My friends who dive Atomics are very happy with them, but none of them do DIY maintenance.

I love my older SP regs, and I service them myself. No problems. I have two Mk25/S600 regs that I use for my back mounted doubles. One is not under warranty and I service it myself with SP parts I get by hook or by crook. The other is one I bought new and I bring it in to the LDS service dept to keep the warranty current. The one I service is consistently the most trouble free and a great breather. The other is forever being brought back in for tweaks, leaks, or poor second stage performance. (Ok, I'll eventually get tired and adjust the thing myself to end the problem until the next LDS overhaul, but don't tell my LDS that).

I tried once to buy a new second stage (G250V) to attach to an older first stage (Mk10), and that LDS told me they wouldn't sell me any SP second stage individually--it had to be part of a set. The LDS down the road will sell first and second stages individually, but they're the ones I've had the service dept issues with noted above.

The point is, I'm kind of over new SP products, and I've moved on--tired of the quirky warranty/parts for life rules and the exasperating repeat trips back to the LDS to get the work done right. My older Mk5's and Mk10's work great and cost little to overhaul properly. Aftermarket HP seats are available, as are good quality O-rings. Vintage Double Hose has inexpensive aftermarket rebuild kits available. Any new gear I buy will be from a manufacturer of a reg that has parts available to the customer.

I don't have any experience with Atomic servicing or availability of DIY parts, but have seen parts for sale in a couple of places. My friends who dive Atomics are very happy with them, but none of them do DIY maintenance.
Good post.
It sounds like we have similar experiences with a few slight differences.
I have older SP stuff and like it too - service my own stuff, etc.

Why are you worried about the SP FPFL on that one reg?
If the shop isn't tuning it right then you still have to tweak it yourself. The only thing you're saving is the cost of the parts but you're still paying for the labor. Why not just put the labor money towards getting parts since you already are going to have one of the MK25's apart you may as well do both right then.
They wouldn't sell you a plain second stage!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Yeah that's a great way to make money and keep customers! (TIC)

What I glean a little from this thread and from others is that SP is desparately trying to hold on to an antiquated business model with a product that is somewhat mediocre in comparison to all the others out there and they are trying to hold up their prices and reputation almost exclusively on hype. I'm guessing that the MK5/109/156 era was about as good as SP got. Maybe even into the early MK20/G250 era? After that they were pretty much chasing their tails around after the two guys left to start Atomic.

Atomic was started with the idea in mind to produce the absolute best regs possible no matter the cost - there is always a market for very high end stuff. The regs are made exclusively in the US, which is partly responsible for the end cost - labor here is expensive.
There is no FPFL gimmicks, you take it in when it needs it. Parts are not as much as SP parts.
Parts are obtainable easier than SP parts for the DIY, even though their not supposed to be available.
*IF* I was ever to buy another high end piston reg I would choose Atomic.
Yes Atomic is expensive but I think you get what you pay for and you know what and who you are dealing with on the face.
In other words, no hidden surprises, and no day to day policy changes, and a very nice product.

I kind of wished there would have been more about Atomic in this thread, but instead it bacame a SP bash fest - partly my fault. Which is understandable, a lot of people including me had a lot of faith in SP and got turd bombed repeatedly by different entities associated with the brand. It's just the whole political universe surrounding SP and the way they operate that really gets in the way of their product, and it doesn't need to be that way.

Scubapro vs Atomic = Atomic wins

Why are you worried about the SP FPFL on that one reg?
If the shop isn't tuning it right then you still have to tweak it yourself. The only thing you're saving is the cost of the parts but you're still paying for the labor. Why not just put the labor money towards getting parts since you already are going to have one of the MK25's apart you may as well do both right then.

It was a bit of an experiment, really, now concluded. The Mk25 I was servicing was the first one of that model I'd tried to take care of myself, so I wanted to compare my efforts against theirs.

Yeah, I'm out a little money, but my curiosity is satisfied and my ego stoked!:dork2:

The Mk25's may be on the selling block soon anyway because I'm likely moving to colder climes next year.

Atomics aren't hard to service (about the same as SP), however their factory service is absolutely phenomenal.

As far as high performance piston regulators go, what are the pluses and minuses in all aspects between Scubapro regs and Atomic regs?
I wondering about build quality, innovation, servicability, availability of parts for the DIY, pricing, political issues as far as business model of the two companies.

I know that Atomic was started by the two lead designers of Scubapro that left to start Atomic.
What was the primer for their leaving?
What new innovations did they do to make Atomic better? or is Atomic just a continuation of SP with not much change to the basic workings of the regulators.

I know that I can get parts for Atomics readily and cheaper than SP. SP parts are expensive and not available unless you run accross kits on ebay or sourced parts for their older regs.
I've had several issues with SP as far as their warranty policies and getting jerked around by them, so I'm not a fan of their business model but I do like their regs, especially the older ones.

I have never owned an Atomic reg nor do I know anything about them other than what I've read, and I've never heard anything negative about them other than the price. So then I'm wondering if Atomics are a good example of you get what you pay for.

Atomic. I have used both and owned Atomic. Feels to be one of the better regulators with a far easy customer tech support than SP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom