Scubapro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Troll Wins!

Or does he.

We have been both an Atomic dealer & a Scubapro dealer.
We dropped Atomic after lack of support, service and integrity from our Atomic sales rep. Then after catching our Atomic sales rep. selling Atomic regs. to our customers, we were all done.

We are now a Scubapro Platinum dealer = Scubaboard members win!

Last year we looked at bring Atomic back ( new sales rep. ). But the recall on their dive computer turned us off!

Eric is not a troll...at least he promotes discussion and isn't always trying to sell something.

Last year we looked at bring Atomic back ( new sales rep. ). But the recall on their dive computer turned us off!

Hey Beav, did the 2003 recall of the UWATEC computers turn you off? You know the one that the company denied for seven years until they got sued? I know you are going to say that was before ScubaPro bought them, except that at the time Johnson Outdoors owned UWATEC and ScubaPro and also did nothing but deny the defect that caused several divers to get the bends.

CPSC - CPSC, UWATEC AG Announce Recall of 1995 Aladin Air X NitrOx Dive Computers

Corporate coverup exposed divers to grave risk / Company kept computer defect secret for 7 years, according to Oakland lawsuit - SFGate

That turned many people off from ever buying ScubaPro products or any products under the Johnson Outdoor umbrella.

At least Atomic Aquatics did their recall voluntarily. I.e. they admitted there was a problem.

My current regulator setups are mainly scubapro (mk25) and atomic . So my take is that I like the first stages pretty much equal. I will rate atomic slightly better in term of the machining quality. I also like atomic being a little smaller. But overall, no strong preference.

For 2nd stage, my experience is limited to a version s600 and g250v vs b2. My s600 has plastic barrel. I never like much. Compared to b2 and g250v, I think the s600 has lower workmanship quality. G250v is good, but I think it is too bulky.

I have never need to use warranty on neither, so no comment. I don't believe in FPFL program concept tho because where I live, reg service cost is dominated by labor cost. Doing service needlessly annual even with free part cost way more than doing as needed while paying for parts.

one advantage to scubapro maybe availability of support worldwide. Say if you are on vacation in south East Asian, and need some thing fix. You may have better chance with sp???

I'm over it now.
I really don't care about Atomic or Sp for that matter.
I have a bunch of old AL regs, a few Conshelfs. I can get all the parts I want for them ligit.
I have a Hog set up also that I can get parts ligit.
My MK5/109's I can get parts for through my DIY circles.
I'm set.

As far as calling SP and ratting out the dealer, I am not going to waste my time or energy.
SP is worse, that would be like calling the godfather complaining to him that one of his thugs came into your business and wanted protection money.

Did you call Scubapro after the incident to complain about the actions of the dive shop? How are they supposed to react to bad dealers if they don't know?

My experience is they will take no action. They don't want to know about it.

I took a Mk20 to a shop to have the retainer recall work done. I had both a din and a yoke connection for that Mk20 and asked if they would change out both retainers. They asked me which one I wanted installed without answering my question. So I asked again. Their response was that it didn't matter since the fix was to change out the saddle that was the same in both applications. I took my Mk20 and left.

When I called Scubapro about this incident, their solution was for me to send my Mk20 to them. The did not ask about the name of the shop.

I found another Scubapro dealer in the area who changed out both retainers.

AWAP, I do not know if we are comparing apples-to-apples here. I am pretty sure what dive shop 1 did was follow standard Scubapro operating procedure regarding changing the yoke retainer and saddle. Dive shop 2 was probably the bad actor in Scubapro's eyes, although provided better customer service.

What happened to Eric is ridiculous. I never heard of charging to make a phone call to inquire about parts. Granted the G200 was not a super popular regulator but the G250 was and the covers should fit.

AWAP, I do not know if we are comparing apples-to-apples here. I am pretty sure what dive shop 1 did was follow standard Scubapro operating procedure regarding changing the yoke retainer and saddle. Dive shop 2 was probably the bad actor in Scubapro's eyes, although provided better customer service.

What happened to Eric is ridiculous. I never heard of charging to make a phone call to inquire about parts. Granted the G200 was not a super popular regulator but the G250 was and the covers should fit.

No. Shop #1 was ONLY going to change the saddle. They were not going to change the retainer(s). The tech explained to me that the "new" saddle corrected the problem.

I own both SP & Atomic piston regs and truly like them both and see very little difference in their performance for my diving parameters. But when I purchased them it was with cave diving in mind.

As far as service goes, I think the quality of the LDS and technicians matter more than brand. I had a reg serviced just before a trip to Thailand and it worked like ####. I found out it was not adjusted properly...last time I gave them my business. I have found three new LDSs that I trust. One of them I am now associated with as an AI. My dad told me as a child a line that has served me well in life, "Screw me once shame on you; screw me twice shame on me." While I wish that SP and Atomic offered "self service" like Hog and a few other, they don't...I am sure there are lawyers involved somewhere...LOL.

BTW...one of the three trusted repair shops I do business with is Beaver Divers. My SP transactions with the Beav have been great and I would do them again in a heart beat.

~Oldbear~

No. Shop #1 was ONLY going to change the saddle. They were not going to change the retainer(s). The tech explained to me that the "new" saddle corrected the problem.

Oh ok, that part I did not understand. Yes, Scubapro should have acted on that.

Back
Top Bottom