Scubapro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of them have that, which was the basis for the 2 year service interval. Nobody's said anything concrete that I've seen about what, if anything, makes the T3 (3 yr interval) different from the T1-2x (2 yr interval). You'll get no dispute from me that 3 years isn't long at all for servicing a well-maintained AA reg, but I'd like to know why the sudden extension of suggested service interval.

My guess, which is a flying shot in the dark, is that they do a lot of service in house and they collect data on how long and how many dives. They found that a 2 year isn't really necessary.

We already do. Scubapro parts cost less than Atomic or about the same. ( Much less if you get them for Free:D! )

I meant without the service but I suspect you knew what I meant.

---------- Post added October 10th, 2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

My guess, which is a flying shot in the dark, is that they do a lot of service in house and they collect data on how long and how many dives. They found that a 2 year isn't really necessary.

I am sure any manufacturer with access to a breathing machine can do simulated dives to monitor the performance and service life of a regulator if they wanted to. I think the 3 year interval is a selling point to get people to purchase an expensive regulator. At 3 years or 300 dives that is 2 dives a week, only a small percentage of divers dive that often.

It has been told to me many times, by District Reps, and Factory Reps, that Atomic regs have a lifetime warranty. Regardless of the service interval.

The Factory rep amplified this with the following examples:

The customer buys a reg, then, drops out of diving for 10 years. The reg is never serviced. They then discover that the reg has a defect (for example, the chrome plating is peeling). The reg is 100% covered under warranty.

Or, someone buys a reg, and dives it hard. Say, 4-6 dives a week. They own it for 10 years and only have it serviced once. When a defect is found after ten years, as long as it isn't caused by abuse (the case is cracked because they drove a car over it), the reg is covered 100% by warranty.

All the best, James

I am sure any manufacturer with access to a breathing machine can do simulated dives to monitor the performance and service life of a regulator if they wanted to. I think the 3 year interval is a selling point to get people to purchase an expensive regulator. At 3 years or 300 dives that is 2 dives a week, only a small percentage of divers dive that often.

I doubt that any manufacturer worth his salt thinks that what happens on a breathing machine mimics real life....

I'm not looking to buy a new reg, I already have more than I know what to do with. And if I did it certainly wouldn't be a new Scubapro reg.

My reason for the post was to open up a discussion about the two companies, the similarities in the products, and to see if one company has pulled ahead in innovations over the other.
I love my old scubapro regs. I have a MK5/156 w/109 octo that I absolutely love, I have a MK20/G200B that I bought new that is fine but sits because I can't get parts for it. The "authorized" dealer who sold it to me is the same one who screwed me on other SP dealings so having them work on it is not an option in my book, so it sits on a shelf for the last 5 years collecting dust. The G200B I've been able to put kits in so I use it on a Conshelf 21 and beach dive/clean boats with it.

I guess I'm secretly lusting over Atomic's Titanium T3 reg. Kind of like the Ferrari you know you can't have.
The rediculous thing is I don't need it really because I don't travel, I have a bunch of great regs that I can service myself and as long as kits are available they will last me for the rest of my life.
There's something about super high quality stuff though that I really appreciate.
You know, kind of like a Rolex - you don't really need one but you still fantasize about them.

Also, maybe the three year service interval recomendation could be because with any salt water contamination in the reg, the titanium isn't affected.

Service kits:
Regulators - Computers - Compass - Gauges - Regulators - Regulator Service Kits - Atomic Service Kits - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

Also, maybe the three year service interval recomendation could be because with any salt water contamination in the reg, the titanium isn't affected.

Of course, unlike the T1-T2x that...er, no. Or for that matter, my personal favorite, the ST1.

However, I noticed this reply to one of my earlier questions:

Hey Doc....The T3 is able to have the three year service interval because of the internal monel parts that are used. With all the information we have on monel and how it has performed in the T2X. It is because of the monel that we can offer this interval. Thanks again Doc!

Atomic Aquatics

No word on what monel parts, if any, are present in the T3 but absent from the T2x.

…My reason for the post was to open up a discussion about the two companies, the similarities in the products, and to see if one company has pulled ahead in innovations over the other...

There hasn’t been much innovation in regulators since the 1980s, and that was pretty minimal. Regulators have been around for about 150-200 years, are simple devices, and there are much more demanding markets than Scuba where innovations can be copied.

I nominate the biggest innovation in Scuba regulators to be the 5-axis CNC machining center. The parts they make are the same, except more precision and less expensive. Come to think of it the same can be said for camera housings.

Last edited:
I doubt that any manufacturer worth his salt thinks that what happens on a breathing machine mimics real life....

Maybe or maybe not but that is the only way you are able to test the failure rate in a controlled fashion. Lets face it no two dives are exactly the same nor are two divers exactly the same.

Interesting thread . I have owned multiple sets of Scubapro and Atomic . The Atomics were a little more reliable . I found Mk15 , Mk20 to lose their tune permaturely .
Never had a problem at all with a few Mk10 sets .
Both served me very well .
I went to the dark side ( Apeks ) and have not looked back , however if I found a new in box mk10 G200 I would jump on it for warm water dives .

however if I found a new in box mk10 G200 I would jump on it for warm water dives .

Watch out for older regs "new in box" I picked up a pristine mk10/G200B (I don't think it was ever dived) which was a bear to remove the hose from the first stage. I destroyed the hose fitting trying to remove it. I never ever had such a problem removing a hose on a crappy regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom