Scubapro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as high performance piston regulators go, what are the pluses and minuses in all aspects between Scubapro regs and Atomic regs?
I wondering about build quality, innovation, servicability, availability of parts for the DIY, pricing, political issues as far as business model of the two companies.

Atomic still uses metal in the second stage. SP uses plastic (mostly) depending on the model.

Performance is about the same and the designs are extremely similar. Almost as if they had the same designer, which they did. :cool:

Atomic offers a completely sealed first stage (the M1), while I don't believe SP does.

I own both, but like the Atomic M1's a little better, based only on having more metal inside, and a sealed first stage, which seems to make them a little more tolerant of extremely cold water.

flots

We already do. Scubapro parts cost less than Atomic or about the same. ( Much less if you get them for Free:D! )

My cost retail for service kits is $14 for first stage Atomic and $22 for second stage. I attended class the first year, and have a never expiring service technician certificate, which is solid gold to me, as I never have time for class during DEMA. My SP technician certificate was issued during the Mk 15 days, but I think service kits were more expensive than $14 and $22 even back then. How much is the retail for SP service kits? Let's say Mk 20 G-250 so were comparing about the same thing?

In terms of reg quality, I doubt SP is any better than AA, but having avoided SP like the plague I can't really say. I can say that my Atomic M1s and ST1s have all worked flawlessly on both rec and tech dives, and look almost as good as the day I got them. I service them when they need it, and whether that's every 2 years like AA suggests or every who knows when, I know the same warranty applies without fail. If you want a diaphram reg, AA is not for you. Though I'd skip SP for that, too, and just get Apeks.

The real difference IMO is that AA has always had excellent, 'call up someone at factory and tell them what you need' customer service. Indeed, when I need a reg serviced I know I can send it to them and it'll be made more or less new again for a reasonable price. SP has always had whatever the massive network of dealers gives you plus the BS of evaporating FPFL programs, changing service intervals without changing reg designs, and moving targets on what it takes to get FPFL (buy a reg, no wait, buy a package of ALL THE THINGS!). That may work OK for you if you've got a good LDS SP dealer who has a good reg tech. Me, I don't pay money to keep that sort of :censored:ty business model going.

Would it be nicer if AA sold its parts kits like HOG? Yes, but it's hard for me to care too much when I don't service every year and there's the factory service option.

SP recently went to a bi-annual service to maintain FPFL status. They made no changes to their regs to support this longer service interval. It seems they were losing more business from less service-fee-hungry competitors like AA, and thus just decided to do what everyone already knew they could do: safely go 2 years sans service. Those SP owners who had followed SP's command to pay $$$ every year for service that wasn't needed may have suddenly realized they felt a bit sore in the trouser seat.

Of course, the AA T3 now has a 3 year suggested service interval...not sure what changes support that one.

Additionally, the LDS charged me a fee for calling SP and trying to deal with this dilemma (I thought this was supposed to be their job?). I walked out with less money in my pocket and still no cover.

That's a really good one, right up there in the dive shop hall of shame. Why don't you ask SP if it's their policy that dealers charge customers a fee for inquiring about warranty issues?

I can't imagine that atomic is as bad as SP in terms of corporate policy, it is a much smaller company. But really the dealer is likely to make the difference. I know a few SP dealers that are good to deal with and have reasonable, helpful attitudes towards customer service. Unfortunately they may be breaking their agreement with SP in the process.

In terms of the regulators themselves, I love the old, simple, time tested workhorses that SP used to produce. Now it's mostly plastic, lots of unnecessary 'features' and hype. I'm not really familiar with atomic regs, I've only worked on one and I thought the 1st stage was terrific, very much like a streamlined MK25, or what an elegantly updated MK10 would be like, but I didn't like the 2nd stage. There are LOTS of similarities to the S600, only even more complicated stuff to do an extremely simple job. What I'd like to see from either company is a new full size metal case barrel poppet 2nd, with the simplicity of the balanced/adjustable(not the tiny ugly A700) or a new center balanced/coaxial 2nd stage like the D series.

I have an emotional attachment to older Scubapro regulators. That they function superbly and, in my experience, flawlessly, is obviously more important than any other factor, but the truth is that I love the look and feel of Mk 5s, Mk10s, 109s, 156, and even the neat little G250 Graphite. I have a D300 recently acquired as new old stock in an old dusty box with a Mk10, also brand new old stock. I don't like the way the D300 looks, and I don't know how to take it apart, but it breathes wonderfully well.

I know Atomics are great regulators, but I think their 2nd stages are ugly, bulbous things, and maybe a bit more complicated than they need to be. I do like the swivel, but this is an easy add-on.

It's easy to keep LP seats from getting marked, and simple to change them yourself as often as you want, very cheaply. 109, 156, and 250 disassembly, adjustment, and reassembly is child's play, fun, and instructive. They are beautiful aesthetically and operationally, especially the 109/156.

In any event, both brands are superb.

Of course, the AA T3 now has a 3 year suggested service interval...not sure what changes support that one.

The Atomic second stage seat unloads when depressurized, which increases the service interval.

3 years isn't too long and I think one of mine is somewhere around 4 right now (I only have it serviced when it needs it).

The Atomic second stage seat unloads when depressurized, which increases the service interval.

All of them have that, which was the basis for the 2 year service interval. Nobody's said anything concrete that I've seen about what, if anything, makes the T3 (3 yr interval) different from the T1-2x (2 yr interval). You'll get no dispute from me that 3 years isn't long at all for servicing a well-maintained AA reg, but I'd like to know why the sudden extension of suggested service interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom