Scubapro Versus Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aspires88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Afternoon all,

I am torn between two regulators at the moment and would love some opinions or suggestions. First of all, I have been diving an old Mk 2/R190 since I started, and she is starting to breathe funny even after service (I have no idea how old the unit is). It is time for an upgrade. I believe I have narrowed it down to the Atomic Z3 (sealed) or Scubapro Mk 17/A700. Both prices are pretty close to each other, and I am just curious what you all think. I really enjoy the fact of a swivel for the 2nd stage--that still blows my mind. I also plan on using an Oceanic 180 Degree Swivel octopus as my secondary.

I know the Scubapro is a diaphragm and the Atomic is a piston type, and that the Atomic requires less maintenance with their conical-shaped seat... However, I hear that Scubapro is easier to find parts/maintenance reps, and that the Atomic claim is not all that it is said to be. I am so very torn between these two regs; coming close to an information overload. I have had the pleasure of trying regulators from both manufacturers--really hard comparison.

What do you all think? I am open to any and all products, and I would like to stay under $800-900 for a set (octo included).

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Andrew

If your Mk2/R190 is starting to breath funny then I would take it back to LDS where it was overhauled and tell them about it. The MK-2/R190 is a great basic regulator set and is very easy to service. There is nothing wrong with it.

Comparing the Atomic Z3 and the SP A700/MK-17 is like comparing apples and oranges. The Z3 is Atomics low-end regulator (still great) while the A700 is currently Scubapro's top of the line second stage and the MK-17 is SP'd top of the line diaphragm second stage. Probably a fairer comparison and one that may save you money is the MK-17/G260. Either regulator would do well, but I am personally partial to the Scubapro setup. I am not a fan of puck style octos to I would recommend you get a SP or Atomic octo or just repurpose your 190.

Is there a specific reason why you want a sealed diaphragm? Why not consider the Scubapro MK25 1st stage... or if you don't want to go that high end the MK21? They are both balanced piston designs and very reliable. I have been diving the MK25 / S600 combination for quite a while in a variety of different dives (all warm water) and love it. It's a great breath at depth, easy to service, and has stood the test of time.

Atomic is great as well but for where I am, it's much more difficult to get serviced and Scubapro is more widely available.

I owned a Z2 but sold it, it squealed and offered nothing over my Apeks. I dive a stable of Apeks regs, have done for many years. I recently got a killer deal on a MK25 with two G260s. Must say I like how they perform. I think the G260 is in some ways a better second stage than my ATX and XTX regs. I wouldn't have bought the SP set at retail prices, way too spendy. I paid less than $500.

I owned a Z2 but sold it, it squealed and offered nothing over my Apeks. I dive a stable of Apeks regs, have done for many years. I recently got a killer deal on a MK25 with two G260s. Must say I like how they perform. I think the G260 is in some ways a better second stage than my ATX and XTX regs. I wouldn't have bought the SP set at retail prices, way too spendy. I paid less than $500.
Sorry for jumping in. When u said squealed, what did u meant? I just ordered my B2 + Z2 octo.

But according to Atomic, all their regs supposed to perform the same.

Sorry for jumping in. When u said squealed, what did u meant? I just ordered my B2 + Z2 octo.

And many of them squeal. Which is amusing to me, because the guys that designed the Atomic also designed the Mk. 20 ScubaPro, which also squealed like a pleasure piggy.

They took the squeal out of the piggy by going to the Jet Seat. Any regulator I've acquired over the past 10 years or so lost it's squeal when upgraded to a Jet Seat piston and seat. You shouldn't have any problems, all new Atomic regulators come with the Jet Seat.

And many of them squeal. Which is amusing to me, because the guys that designed the Atomic also designed the Mk. 20 ScubaPro, which also squealed like a pleasure piggy.

They took the squeal out of the piggy by going to the Jet Seat. Any regulator I've acquired over the past 10 years or so lost it's squeal when upgraded to a Jet Seat piston and seat. You shouldn't have any problems, all new Atomic regulators come with the Jet Seat.

Are you only talking about Atomic? My Atomic was purchased new in 2012 and squealed right out of the box. It was returned and the squeal was fixed I beleive by relubing piston stem. In June this year I bought a MK25 which developed the same squeal after a few dives. It is my understanding that piston first stage squealing is not an uncommon issue albeit easy to fix.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2015 at 07:28 AM ----------

They do apparently all perform the same, but they can also squeal regardless of model. I have read reports here on SB about Atomics (and SP) first stages squealing. It's nothing to worry about as a) it's easy to fix and b) it apparently doesn't affect performance and is of no safety concern but I found it most distracting especially on the Atomic it was so high pitched it could have shattered glass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom