Scubapro regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told the Oceanic hoses are proprietary and cost more.
I haven't finally decided whether or not to replace this reg set, but if I keep it I will definitely have them checked. The shop that I bought them through did Scuba as a side business, and he was rushed and behind on a lot of reg servicing.

they're full of sh!t. With extremely few exceptions, all regulator hoses, inflator hoses, and HP hoses are universal. The hose going to a normal brass and glass spg is identical to every one else on the market, they're ripping you off. Cut them out and move on.

Hoses will fail when they fail. You can inspect them yourself. If they show signs of wear like the rubber covering coming loose, or wear and damage at the crimp connection near the first stage, dry rot or cracking of the rubber covering or if they are leaking, then they probably should be replaced. Other than that, I don't think it is rocket science.

I typically go through the hoses on my regulator once a year and almost always find one or two hoses that I feel better about replacing. I have experienced very few actual failures -actually I've seen a few and can recall only one hose popping for me on the boat.

You can get about any hose you want from dive gear express, and everything i have ordered from them has been acceptable quality and very fast shipping. If you order anything from them, it is a no brainer to add in the intermediate pressure gauge (and probably smart to order a spare BC inflator) as well.

they're full of sh!t. With extremely few exceptions, all regulator hoses, inflator hoses, and HP hoses are universal. The hose going to a normal brass and glass spg is identical to every one else on the market, they're ripping you off. Cut them out and move on.

I have already found a new shop, and I am very comfortable with them. They are a full time shop, and I got to know the owner before I started doing business with them. I took a class from them and was very pleased.
I will not do business with someone I can't trust completely.
If I have a hose problem in the future I will simply swap it out myself. For now I will use Scubatoys to service my Oceanic regs since my new shop is a Scubapro dealer. If I do go to a different brand it will probably be SP and I feel confident this new shop will service them properly.
I will probably be taking a Rescue class from him next spring.

For what it is worth I have had a Mk20/G500 (2nd gen with metal barrel) for over 17 years. It is an awesome setup and I have had zero issues with it. It still breathes like a dream at all depths and I have no desire to replace it whatsoever. You simply can't go wrong with this reg.

I have some threads going. There are problems with my Oceanic tegs and I will be buying replacements.
It looks like I will either get a SP Mk25 and G250HP or an Atomic Z2.

I have some threads going. There are problems with my Oceanic tegs and I will be buying replacements.
It looks like I will either get a SP Mk25 and G250HP or an Atomic Z2.
Whats the problems with your Oceanic regs?

I recently bought a set of 2nd hand regs (Scubapro Mk11 with R395 2nd stage and R390 occy) to replace my ancient Sherwood Magum regs (circa 1983) as a back up set. While there was no corrosion on the threads there was some surface corrosion on the hose ends and on the 2nd stage valve bodies. All of this was due to poor cleaning which is unfortunately common place as as most people think a quick rinse is all that is needed.....wrong. I spent some time cleaning it off to get them looking nice again.

I'm very particular when it comes to cleaning my gear and as a result there is essentially no visible corrosion on my 17 year old SP regs. Like my father told me "Look after your gear, and it will look after you.".

Anyway, if you get the Mk25/G250 regs and look after them, they will last you a life time as they are pretty much bullet proof. All the best.

then nevermind, if you want an "upgrade" the mk20/g500 is certainly going to be an upgrade, and I'd probably try to talk them down to $200 even depending on which octo it has with it and the condition of the hoses. Remember that you could be in for as much as $100 in hose replacements, on top of at least $100 in service. That puts you at the same price as this package below....
Deep 6 Gear Single Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators

How does the SP G500 compare to the SP S550. Have had my SP mk20 and S550 for over a decade and though they work fine, I feel the need to change soon, out of boredom. Happy to hear your candid views. Deep 6 also piqued my interest.

How does the SP G500 compare to the SP S550. Have had my SP mk20 and S550 for over a decade and though they work fine, I feel the need to change soon, out of boredom. Happy to hear your candid views. Deep 6 also piqued my interest.

I prefer the Deep6 to the others, but it's just personal preference. Nothing really scientific about it, just personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom