Atomic and Scubapro piston regs - first cousins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having started out with an Atomic B2 - and more recently taking an interest in servicing my own regs, I look at older Scubapros like the MK5 and MK10 and find they look like damn near the same regs externally as the Atomics. I know the Atomics grew out of the Scubapro engineer corps.

Simon sent me about a dozen discard regs that included like 9 MK10s he acquired just to scavenge the G250s that they came with. These are my lab rat regs for servicing.

But - is the Atomic primarily the next evolutionary step for the MK10 where SP took the turn to the MK15 and then MK20/25?

At the risk of playing matchmaker at a hillbilly family reunion, I'll ask what's the relationship?

I would say the Atomic has the dimension and specs (aka piston size) of the Scubapro Mk10+, and also the body layout of piston head sealing in main body. But it thankfully has the HP o-ring set up of the Mk20 using bushings. Atomic makes a great first stage and resisted adding more and more innovations. Some additions like external IP adjust would be very useful, but I definetely like the simplicity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom