Scubapro regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw a craigslist ad for a Scubapro Mk20/G500 reg set with gauges and octo.
My lds is a Scubapro dealer and doesn't service the old Oceanic I have now.

Is there a downside to this SP reg?
There are so many brands and models it is hard to compare, or even decide which options I need and which I don't.
I dive mostly fresh water and don't dive very cold water- much under 50* and I will stay home.

how much do they want for it? Nothing wrong with them, damned good reg, especially if the G500 has the metal barrel. You'll still be in for a minimum of $100 to get them serviced, but that's ok.

for your old oceanic, scubatoys is in DFW area and they service basically anything.... for fairly cheap

Couple things in regard to the mk-20. There is a recall regarding the yoke retainer nut (your LDS should be able to get this for you at no cost), and the piston can be "mushy" regarding lock-up. A new composite piston solves this, but you are paying for it. I saw it for $25 in an older SP catalog, and have seen them for $50-ish on auction sites. If you get a good deal, the mk-20 is excellent. I'll leave it to others regarding the second stage as I haven't used that one.

They are asking a little over $200.00

My Oceanic is the old SP-5 first stage and original Delta second stage. I am trying to decide if I will notice any benefit with a newer reg. Lkke I said there is a huge amount of info to sift through. I haven't kept up with all of the advances in designs.

Mk20 is a piston reg.

In your other thread you said you want a sealed diaphragm.

Never mind

all of my regulators were designed well over 30 years ago and many were made back then as well. Granted, they're Poseidons, but there isn't much that has really changed over the past several decades and basically nothing in the last decade. The biggest advancement I have seen is the new poppet in the second stages that @cerich designed into the Deep 6 regs. Other than that, not a whole lot. If you want to change, then change, though if it is an ultralight, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole being made out of aluminum...

all of my regulators were designed well over 30 years ago and many were made back then as well. Granted, they're Poseidons, but there isn't much that has really changed over the past several decades and basically nothing in the last decade. The biggest advancement I have seen is the new poppet in the second stages that @cerich designed into the Deep 6 regs. Other than that, not a whole lot. If you want to change, then change, though if it is an ultralight, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole being made out of aluminum...
It's not UL. I was looking at wrong listing

Couple things in regard to the mk-20. There is a recall regarding the yoke retainer nut (your LDS should be able to get this for you at no cost), and the piston can be "mushy" regarding lock-up. A new composite piston solves this, but you are paying for it. I saw it for $25 in an older SP catalog, and have seen them for $50-ish on auction sites. If you get a good deal, the mk-20 is excellent. I'll leave it to others regarding the second stage as I haven't used that one.

Picture quality isn't the best but it looks like it has the 2slot cover which is supposed to indicate the yoke retainer recall was done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom