Scubapro regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

then nevermind, if you want an "upgrade" the mk20/g500 is certainly going to be an upgrade, and I'd probably try to talk them down to $200 even depending on which octo it has with it and the condition of the hoses. Remember that you could be in for as much as $100 in hose replacements, on top of at least $100 in service. That puts you at the same price as this package below....
Deep 6 Gear Single Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators

Yeah, I said I was interested in a diaphram reg but I also thought I needed a sealed reg. I really don't understand how the different designs make a difference in breathing or why some are piston and some are diaphram. Is one better than the other, or are they designed for different applications?

The MK20/G500 is an excellent performing regulator, $200 for a set is a very good price assuming it's in decent condition. You should be able to get many years of use out of one servicing.

About the piston/diaphragm issue, the short answer is they both work extremely well, there's no reason to say that one is "better" than the other.

Regarding the specific piston in the MK20, it is true that one of three generations of pistons for the MK20 had a brass tip that didn't work well, and if this set has that piston, you would want to replace it, it's probably $60. I've only encountered a few MK20s that still have the brass piston, as SP fairly quickly changed that part out for a better one.

Yeah, I said I was interested in a diaphram reg but I also thought I needed a sealed reg. I really don't understand how the different designs make a difference in breathing or why some are piston and some are diaphram. Is one better than the other, or are they designed for different applications?

theoretically, from a breathing perspective you shouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. People will talk about how much more air the pistons can flow vs. a diaphragm, but the reality is the valve is going to limit the air before the regulator will. I prefer sealed diaphragms though ironically I don't currently own any of them. I have 10 unsealed diaphragms from Poseidon, and 2 pistons for decompression. The difference in the two really comes down to two things. Maintenance, and cold water performance. Cold water performance is better in a sealed diaphragm, there is no water around the moving parts and limits the regs ability to freeze. Ice will form around the regulator, but it will still function. With a piston, if you want to dive in ice diving conditions, it is recommended to seal them by packing with grease and putting a retaining band to hold it in there. Very expensive, very annoying, pretty effective. The other side of the sword with sealed diaphragms is that they are a lot more resilient to improper rinsing because nothing critical is exposed to water. They can take a quick rinse and be OK vs an unsealed diaphragm or unsealed piston that requires pretty diligent rinsing after salt water exposure.

Pros and cons. Can't go wrong with either of them, and for most recreational divers, it really doesn't matter so long as you are diligent about rinsing in fresh water asap after exposure to salt

I will look and check those out.
I'm not in any real hurry. If this one sells I will find something else later.
I do want a better idea of what I want other than balanced. I think it makes no difference between piston or diaphragm. I do want a brand my lds services. I think they service Atomic regs in addition to Scubapro, maybe others. I will get a better idea later. They are in the mddle of changing their computer system and busy right now.

even if it isn't your LDS, you have scubatoys right there which is a shop that many people around the country ship their regs to for repair and they are quite competitive. It's not something you have to do frequently and shops shouldn't be making that much money doing it, so don't restrict your choices based on what they service

how much do they want for it? Nothing wrong with them, damned good reg, especially if the G500 has the metal barrel. You'll still be in for a minimum of $100 to get them serviced, but that's ok.

for your old oceanic, scubatoys is in DFW area and they service basically anything.... for fairly cheap

I can confirm Scubatoys services Oceanics, they just serviced one of my spare sets last week (CDX5/GT3 with Omega II octo.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom