Scubapro R109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, most of the regs on today's market are rather plain looking. While I am a big fan of the vintage double hose regs, there were many vintage single hose models that are appealing to my eyes. Here are two of my favorites. The first is an early Voit Swimaster MR-12, and the second is a very early production Scubapro MKV/109 unit. Both of the regs have their factory finishes, but have been totally rebuilt. I find that the Mares Proton Metal second stage is one of the better looking modern second stages.

P1010290.jpg

P1010342.jpg

Greg Barlow

I should like to see the other extreme of an old 109 with all the chrome stripped, left to generate a rich patina like these Italian bolt snaps I bought the other day. Then I would like to take it into the LDS for servicing :eyebrow:

Picture2003-8.jpg

Awap has one with a lot of the chrome gone. It looks kind of cool in a neo-military-grunge sort of style.

IMHO, most of the regs on today's market are rather plain looking. While I am a big fan of the vintage double hose regs, there were many vintage single hose models that are appealing to my eyes. Here are two of my favorites. The first is an early Voit Swimaster MR-12, and the second is a very early production Scubapro MKV/109 unit. Both of the regs have their factory finishes, but have been totally rebuilt. I find that the Mares Proton Metal second stage is one of the better looking modern second stages.

P1010290.jpg

P1010342.jpg

Greg Barlow

And both of those contain the neck strap provision that is so highly desirable by today’s tech divers (as in the bungeed alternate type)… back then we used to cut that strap off.
:rolleyes:

Whoever told you that is full of it.
Basic chemistry confirms that if you want durable plating that will last you need to use a different process than the average automotive plating business. Basic research of the processes used by most plating companies will demonstrate that finding someone who can and will do it right is difficult and the choices are limited.

Tell you what, feel free to post a list of all the people you've found in the US who can properly plate brass parts and are willing to do it on a one off basis for a small customer.

When I did my RAM and PRAM it was about $200 for the cans, one hookah nut, and one nozzle. That was a local guy who did a good job, probably not as good as the guy who does the vdh work, but much less expensive. When I brought them in the guy knew what they were, and there were some bumpers laying around the shop, but also some antiques. He knew the process; copper, nickel, chrome. He did say that things were slow due to the economy, so maybe that factored in to his willingness to do it.

Couv found a great guy in Houston who apparently realized he was undercharging.

How much this is worth is entirely subjective; the regs work great regardless of how beat up they are, but they look fantastic with good chrome. When you consider people routinely spend $600-700 or more on new regs with plastic 2nds, spending as much as an extra $100 to get one of these looking like new seems reasonable.

Dang couv,

That's absolutely beautiful!

Too bad it's so costly to do.

..... When you consider people routinely spend $600-700 or more on new regs with plastic 2nds, spending as much as an extra $100 to get one of these looking like new seems reasonable.

Bingo! The secret is out.

Bingo! The secret is out.

Yeah, but I find it hard to spend money on something that works just to make it look pretty. Especially when there are other things that I would like to spend that money on.

Basic chemistry confirms that if you want durable plating that will last you need to use a different process than the average automotive plating business. Basic research of the processes used by most plating companies will demonstrate that finding someone who can and will do it right is difficult and the choices are limited.

Basically, you're talking to someone who was an electroplater for several years. Trust me, the process is essentially the same. You are correct, though, that it is becoming more and more difficult to find local electroplaters, thanks to the greenie-weenies and think-they're-doing-good-doers.

I hit the jackpot today at my local Scubapro dealer... He has been here since 1976 and has pigeon holed a bunch of old regulator parts... I picked up two front covers one of which looks new, and three diaphrams... YAHTZEE!!!!

Well done....lucky dog. Were you able to find the rest of the parts you need for a rebuild/upgrade?

If this chap has stuff he wants to get rid of, why not post a list here or in the DIY section?

Back
Top Bottom