Scubapro R109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimDivesAtomic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ScubaproR109.jpg

I just purchased this old R109 and always wanted one since I was a kid... The wait is over :D

Now I would like to restore/modify it... I need to find a new front cover with less brassing, and also convert is to a balanced system... Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance...

Regards,

Tim

Tim,

Here are the parts and part numbers needed for the upgrade to a Balanced Adjustable:
Balance chamber 11150102
Spring 01020216
poppet assembly 11250015
and probably a lever 11250141

Those parts are available if you can find a dive shop to sell them to you.

Any metal Scuba Pro (109, BA, or 108) cover will fit. Finding them in good shape is another story, it's hit and miss on eBay. I've had a chrome plating shop re-chrome a couple for me, but it's expensive....and his prices keep going up.

Every now and again some of the usual suspects do a group order and when the gods smile on us, we can get the diaphragm covers and exhaust tees; so perhaps you can join in next time.

Couv

Edit: Tim, the G250V has pretty much the same guts as the BA, so go to this post http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5127724-post134.html that Brother Zung made, and download a copy of the schematic.

Last edited:
The shop I work with has some new old stock purge covers.

If you want the upgrade work done, send me a PM and I can work it through that shop and we can install a new cover on it for you as well as do the upgrade. Let me know in advance and I can have the shop order the spring that will be needed. (not a part that is currently in stock in the shop.)

ScubaproR109.jpg

I just purchased this old R109 and always wanted one since I was a kid... The wait is over :D

Now I would like to restore/modify it... I need to find a new front cover with less brassing, and also convert is to a balanced system... Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance...

Regards,

Tim

I'm not sure if you want a new metal cover (that's what it sounds like) or the rubber diaphragm cover that also functions as the purge. The rubber part is still supported by scubapro, as is the exhaust tee. If those parts are not in excellent shape, I bet DA can get them for you when he rebuilds it.

As couv said, he has had a few re-chromed and they look spectacular. My guess is you'd spend about $50-75 getting the body/cover/clamp of the reg re-chromed. You'd have to decide whether that's worth it.

Not many people do chrome plating on brass. To do it right it is a copper, nickel then chrome process - a lot different that chroming steel bumpers, car parts, etc.

Consequently it is expensive and it can be hard to find someone to do it, in part due to low demand and different chemistry and in part due to the EPA and related requirements that make doing it on a low volume basis very cost prohibitive.

Si. Strip, polish, copper, nickel, chrome = $$$... But beautiful.

109-2.jpg

WOW that looks amazing!!!! Yes I want to see that assembled... Thanks to all of you for responding with all this great information... I would like to get DA to rebuild mine so I can get a chance to dive with it safely... Keep those pics coming...

Not many people do chrome plating on brass. To do it right it is a copper, nickel then chrome process - a lot different that chroming steel bumpers, car parts, etc.

Consequently it is expensive and it can be hard to find someone to do it, in part due to low demand and different chemistry and in part due to the EPA and related requirements that make doing it on a low volume basis very cost prohibitive.

Best bet are plating shops that specialize in antique restoration.

I should like to see the other extreme of an old 109 with all the chrome stripped, left to generate a rich patina like these Italian bolt snaps I bought the other day. Then I would like to take it into the LDS for servicing :eyebrow:

Picture2003-8.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom