Scubapro R109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I was able to get everything needed to convert her over to a balanced adjustable, plus a new chrome front cover that looks to be brand new old stock... I will check with him this week to see if he is interested in selling his stash... I got the feeling he would like to hold on to most of it... He had several double hose regs as well... Has them displayed in his training/class room showing the evolution of dive gear...

Yeah, but I find it hard to spend money on something that works just to make it look pretty. Especially when there are other things that I would like to spend that money on.

You're spending too much time reading Awap's post. :mooner: The Master has you under his spell. It's time to break free and have your favorite reg freshly chromed.

Basically, you're talking to someone who was an electroplater for several years. Trust me, the process is essentially the same. You are correct, though, that it is becoming more and more difficult to find local electroplaters, thanks to the greenie-weenies and think-they're-doing-good-doers.

I am the Materials & Process engineer for an aerospace manufacturer who is in charge of the plating and processing areas and specifications. There are still a good number of plate houses and processors out there doing decorative chrome, but they make a lot more money doing Harley's and choppers then they ever will our stuff. Many are struggling, but EPA is only a minor problem compared to labor and many will shut down when the current owners retire. No American seems to like doing the dirty buffing between plates that a good decorative plate job requires, never mind hanging over hot tanks in the summertime.

In other words, English is not the major language at most of the plate hoses I walk into in the East, Midwest, South, or West Coast. If a job can be described as Dirty, Disgusting, or Dangerous a high number of the people doing it will be immigrants.

No American seems to like doing the dirty buffing between plates that a good decorative plate job requires, never mind hanging over hot tanks in the summertime.

In other words, English is not the major language at most of the plate hoses I walk into in the East, Midwest, South, or West Coast.

I guess our shop, being small, was an exception. We did from time to time have a worker or two that got most of the "dirty" work, but for the most part we all did our part.

As for "buffing between coats", that is asking for trouble. Polishing compound will imbed in the pores of the metals, which could cause peeling down the road if not thoroughly removed. In addition, any time spent out of the bath (for polishing, let's say) will cause the metal to passivate and the metal will have to be reactivated before plating the next layer. This will, again, increase the odds of poor adhesion. So, keeping the parts out of the bath long enough to buff between each layer is neither necessary, nor is it conducive to a quality, trouble-free decorative chrome.

The proper way is to polish the base metal only, then electroclean and apply the layers of electroplate, one right after the other. The nickel layers are self-leveling and are what really give the decorative chrome its highly reflective property.

Again, once the plating process starts, there is no real difference, whether the part is a nut, regulator or a bumper. The only real difference is the base metal and what is needed to properly prepare it for plating.

If a job can be described as Dirty, Disgusting, or Dangerous a high number of the people doing it will be immigrants.

Only if the pay sucks relative to the risk and discomfort. You don't see a lot of immigrants working as electrical linemen for example.

"Jobs Americans won't do", becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when a field is saturated with artificially cheap labor. If we gave a blanket amnesty, most of the immigrants wouldn't want those jobs at those wages anymore either.

As for "buffing between coats", that is asking for trouble. Polishing compound will imbed in the pores of the metals, which could cause peeling down the road if not thoroughly removed. In addition, any time spent out of the bath (for polishing, let's say) will cause the metal to passivate and the metal will have to be reactivated before plating the next layer. This will, again, increase the odds of poor adhesion. So, keeping the parts out of the bath long enough to buff between each layer is neither necessary, nor is it conducive to a quality, trouble-free decorative chrome.

The proper way is to polish the base metal only, then electroclean and apply the layers of electroplate, one right after the other. The nickel layers are self-leveling and are what really give the decorative chrome its highly reflective property.QUOTE]

When doing a re-chrome it's the only way to get the pits out, plate, buff, plate, buff,...... All in the copper plate phase. If it's not right at the end of copper, it is not right.

I used to do a lot of hard chrome and sulfamate nickel on jurnals, that was easy - over plate and grind back to blue print.

If you want problems with keeping metal clean and active, try aluminum processing - zincate on aluminum just sucks........

When doing a re-chrome it's the only way to get the pits out, plate, buff, plate, buff,...... All in the copper plate phase. If it's not right at the end of copper, it is not right.

I used to do a lot of hard chrome and sulfamate nickel on jurnals, that was easy - over plate and grind back to blue print.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I agree. Yes, I remember doing this a few times on pitted parts. Copper throws so well and adheres so well that this would be the only time to do any additional buffing, not between the nickel plates. I thought you were referring to the usual procedure. Usually, when applying decorative chrome to a new part, the copper plate is just a flash to help nickel adhesion.

Our shop was primarily hard chrome, but we also did about everything else, except anodizing which the shop next door took care of. The only thing I remember we did with aluminum was electroless nickel and alodine.

Now, how about them R109s........

A question for the two pros. Why is it necessary to copper plate a brass piece prior to the nickel plating?

Thanks,

Couv

It isn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom