ScubaPro not Allowing Testing of Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap once bubbled...

and didn't see any ads for whats-its-name stuff. It just doesn't seem like a real smart move. Thankfully, there are so many choices.

I can think of many reasons for it, not necessarily the right ones:

1: The increase in popularity of the internet with divers may be leading to the demise of printed media as a source of dive information. One major publication has already fallen by the boards. Are others suffering declining readership and accordingly a reduction in product exposure? And beyond that, why spend big bux for print advertising when the products get so much free exposure on the net?

2: The company feels that the dealer network and reputation have grown to the point where print adverts are superfluous. By itself perhaps a short-sighted view.

3: With all the presure, at least on the internet, in support of product price-cutting, have the company's image builders decided that expensive print media ads will be seen as flaunting the "excessive" profits?

4: Is the bottom line, even for as big a name as SP, insufficient to warrant the current advertising budget? I've often wondered at the profitability potential for dive manufacturers. We're not exactly talking the same target consumer base as, say, General Motors or Ford. Lower production volumes generally means higher per unit relative costs.

5: Perhaps they only advertised because they were submitting their products for testing and had concerns about the influence their advt absence might have on the products. Not necessarily that theirs would get undue criticism, but more that the products of the advertisers might get a tad more favourable attention. This can happen even when the testers maintain absolute integrity. Suppose the advertising dept realizes that it's in their own best interests to give max exposure to the clients without charging extra dollars, and arrange to place the paid-for advertising in such a way as to enhance the product's appearance in the test report. It really isn't difficult. It's smart business strategy, and it has nothing to do with the objectivity of the testers. But the end result is that the advertised product ends up being more prominent in the test report. SP, by not allowing their products to be tested, don't have to worry about this, and they may be thinking along the same lines as what I suggested in 1 & 2. They're willing to let their products stand on their good reputation and strong dealer network, and pad up the bottom line at the same time. Risky stuff though.

Just a few pensive rambles. YMMV.

JohnF

By Automobile ads grabbing the most desirable pages at a higher price than they were willing to pay.

By Automobile ads grabbing the most desirable pages at a higher price than they were willing to pay.

No adds like that in my Aug '97 issue I happen to have in front of me. Time are definately changing.

Lot of issues in this thread...

ON SP,

* I'm annoyed at their actions. I use SP for my reg setup. But that may be the last purchase from them with their attitude. As a relatively new diver, I find Rodale's of great value. Though I'm a heavy 'net user, there's still a lot to be said for well-known editorial sources in print format. As to the ads? That's part of the value in any special interest publication. For my aviation or SCUBA mags, I read for the ads as much for editorial. Enthusiast web sites still aren't getting enough topic-specific ads to be of as great a value for the ad part yet. SP pulling out of Rodale's from an ad perspective means - to me anyway - that they're not helping to support the diving community. And I don't respect that choice.

* As far as SP pulling their products from review? That I don't get at all. If their stuff isn't up to par, just having it absent from reviews isn't going to help. Being absent from common places doesn't seem like a great marketing strategy.

* As to Rodale's getting free equipmment? Magazines often operate on crappy margins. And this sort of thing goes on in all kinds of industries. As to manufacturers shipping "ringer" equipment? Yeah, I suppose that happens on occasion. But this may also be foolish. Anyone getting busted doing that risks just about all their credibility.

* Regarding the issue that came up regarding what happens to company product quality or development upon acquisition? It's a crapshoot. If you've ever worked for a company that's been acquired, you'd know that things can change radically; sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. But it rarely stays the same.

Scott

I had emailed Rodales about two weeks ago and asked them why Scubapro would not be supplying products for testing. They said something to the effect that Scubapro didnt like they way there conducted their testing. The also said something to the effect they may buy Scubapro products to test anyway..

Hi All, :profile:

Recently Scuba Pro has refused to be evaluated by Scuba Lab and Rodales. My LDS, a Scuba Pro dealer, says this issue is that Scuba Pro has pulled their advertising, so the evaluators have been slamming the product.

I don't have much knowledge of Rodales, probably even spelled it wrong, but, Scuba Lab says they are like Consumer Reports, they don't run on advertising, therefore it doesn't matter who they evaluate.

So, is the over priced Scuba Pro gear actually going down hill and therefore the company doesn't want to be compared to the comapanies that are making quality gear? Or, is Scuba Pro refusing to be evaluated because of the advertising issue?

Thanks

Brian

Maybe it's because scubapro was bought out recently, and the new owners are stirring the pot.

Back
Top Bottom