ScubaPro not Allowing Testing of Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panama Jack once bubbled...

But really, who cares, Rodales is a pitiful magazine anyway, more ads than stories and still want to charge you five bucks. [/B]

Geez, I disagree big time. I think Rodale's does a terrific service to the diving community with testing (even if tested items aren't purchased at retail, it's more than PADI does in its mag) and education. I note with concern they've shrunk below 100 pages in the current issue. I hope it survives; diving would be worse off without it, in my opinion.

awap once bubbled...
I was casting for the other fish. Then again, why should what is most likiely the single largest retailer of Scubapro regulators in the world be excluded?

Is the testing about the utility/quality of the dealers or the utility/quality of the product? I would think that Rodales would want to be circumspect, particularly if defying the wishes of the manufacturer. That's the time you really need to have yer ducks in a row.

JohnF

dr bill, I was trying to point out that if you look at your catalogs from Scubapro (I have them as far back as 1979) - See who owns the company? - Johnson. The large corporation you argued against was manufacturing your gear before you ever owned it. This is all pre MK10, pre G250. Check it out. Johnson makes some very fine products, Eureka tents, Old Town Canoes, and many others including your tried and true old Scubapro gear.

undah20 once bubbled...
SP is probably pissed at Rodale's because of all the advertising dollars that the rag receives and it's testing results biased toward whoever is keeping the most consistent advertising dollars coming in. Kind of like the idocrity of the first Atomic regs, which were only a copy of the SP MK10 being heralded as something new and high performance. B.S. Sure both manufacturers designs were great and simple, as well as high performance, but those reviews only reflected the new advertising budget being spent by Atomic to enter the market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard once that the founder of Atomic used to work for ScubaPro and left when he felt his creative juices were not being utilized to their potential. Can anyone confirm or deny?

atomic was founded by two sp guys. as for rodales, it may have its flaws but it is the only US magazine providing any tests of any meaning. granted i would like to see some other criteria included such as serviceability, cold water abilities... and their destination reporting reads like a brochure. however, if rodales failed i would definitely miss it for its equipment tests. that would leave nothing but the UK's diver magazine. hey, if anyone thinks we can make a living publishing a better magazine with more meaningful equipment reviews i would be game. maybe something like an undercurrent for equipment.

Genesis:

Nice point on the adibatic cooling differences with a 3000 psi tank versus a low pressure 2475 psi steel tank. I suspect this may be why I have never frozen my Mk 25 while my equally air frugal dive buddy froze his on 3 out of 4 of the same dives.

I suspect their could also be issues with specific heats of various nitrox mixes versus air.

As for the Mk 10....I still use it for filling lift bags at depth. I can fill 400 lbs worth of lift at 100 ft in 45 degree water and not freeze it. Of course I also recently filled about 300 lbs of bags in 50 degree water with a Mk 20. I did it in smaller shots, rather than all at once, but was surprised it did not freeze on me. Again this was with a steel 72, so you may be on to something with your idea of adibatic cooling differences.

As for the ScubaPro 1st's freezing or not, sure we use LP104's and the like, but of course in true cavedivers style :)....we overpressure to 3300 PSI on most dives.

It just hasn't been a problem..........BUT I will try you theory just to see how far I can "coax" it.

Soon enough I'm doing a dive that is 110ft, and usually 39 degrees. That oughta be enough, I'll bet ya $5.oo (USD) that it doesn't freeze.

It's just not a reality. With all teh diving I've done and seen with these regs, I'm SURE i would have seen a pettern, if there was one to be seen.

Case in point.........All those Mares Axis 2nd's...now there's a pattern........

I'll let ya know...but I'm sure gonna be bummed wasting all that air when I should be breathing it.

Submitting to tests or not, I'm looking forward to next months edition to see if there are any of those full page Scuba Pro ads in Rodales. I'm betting they continue to advertise - which makes it all the more strange!

Scuba Duffer once bubbled...
Submitting to tests or not, I'm looking forward to next months edition to see if there are any of those full page Scuba Pro ads in Rodales. I'm betting they continue to advertise - which makes it all the more strange!

and didn't see any ads for whats-its-name stuff. It just doesn't seem like a real smart move. Thankfully, there are so many choices.

After review, SP has indeed stopped advertising in Rodales. Those big shiney ads I was thinking of were in fact in Sport Diver. Huge gamble on SP's part to stop ad's in probably the biggest circulated diver mag around (not saying it's great - but it is big on the newstands).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom