Scubapro MK20/G250 used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy@

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I just finished my OW cert and am looking to build up my equipment without spending too much money. Found used MK20 with G250 and R190 serviced for the last time in 2014. Price is quite good and I am thinking to go with it. However, could not find any technical specs for this equipment and am uncertain of the exact version of the 1st stage. For what I was able to assess so far, there were inumerous versions of it made.
Reliability of this equipment seems to be high, so it still seems a good bet.
I believe all of this equipment to be cold water ready and balanced, but I would like to have it confirmed. Also is it worth to invest is such old piece of equipment?
Anyone out there with a word of advise? Thanks!

Solid regulator! The major difference between the MK-20 and the current MK-25 is an adjustable seat carrier that lets you externally adjust IP without taking it apart and adding/removing shims.

As it is an "old" regulator, there are some changes that it went through to equate to modern configuration. The piston in the MK-20 went through numerous gyrations as there was "IP stability" issues. The current MK-25 piston, known as the "composite piston" is backward compatible ($25-$55 on the dark market, but available by SP dealer if in for service).

As to being a "cold water" regulator, I'd say no. A very experienced diver can make it work (seen it, but I wouldn't use it there).

The second stage is a fabulous regulator, once again seeing upgrades over the decades it as in production (109 > 156 > g250 [many variants] > and now the slightly different g260). There are occasional "glitches" in upgrading the internals, and some additional parts can become necessary to keep it aligned with current service kits (the s-wing poppet replaced the prior, which is no longer available)

I use that combination for 4 sets of gear we use for warm water (travel)

YMMV

If fully serviced in 2014, the g250 second stage likely has the modern "guts", and should be fine!

Oh, btw - just make sure the first stage isn't the aluminum "ultra light" body....

Oh, btw - just make sure the first stage isn't the aluminum "ultra light" body....
Thanks for your feedback rhwestfall. How to distinguish if it is the aluminium "ultra light" body? Does it have some markings that would allow to determine it?

Ask the seller would be the 1st thing - it'll be MK20 UL if it's the aluminum version. If you can get your hands on it, pull the hose/port plugs off and look in the ports or any areas where the chrome plating may have come off to expose the underlying brass (the body you want is solid brass with chrome plating).

Last edited:
Ask the seller would be the 1st thing - it'll be MK20 UL if it's the aluminum version. If you can get your hands on it, pull the hose/port plugs off and look in the ports or any areas where the chrome plating may have come off to expose the underlying brass (the body you want is solid brass with chrome plating).
Thanks, Will check it out. In the advertisement there is no mention to any UL. But will double check.

btw, found another one that looks also quite a good deal, Aqualung Titan LX Supreme, this is for twice the price, includes the same, first and second stage and octopus. This one I found some documentation and it is prepared for cold water. The price is still quite ok, since the first one I found for 85$ and the second costs 180$, which, in my immense inexperience, sounds like a good bargain... :) What do you guys think?

Both are great performers so don't think you'd be disappointed in either. I've rebuilt my wife's MK20/G250 so can comment more on that. Parts are readily available and it's easy to service. Her set had been serviced and got the piston upgrade previously so that wasn't something I had to do. Spanner tool for the 2nd stage to hose was the only tool I bought. Wasn't truly needed as was the o-ring piston installation tool. You can get by using other hand tools for either of those if you are diligent and go slow. The tools make it much easier and faster. Parts and tools for the Titan, I can't really comment on but I have heard it is a good bit more involved. If you are not planning on doing your own servicing then it's not an issue for either - costs will be close to equal. Do get yourself an IP gage which will allow you to determine when it needs servicing rather than just going by a calendar date. Other than that, both seem like very good buys. If you are doing cold though, I'd think you'd want to lean towards the Titan

Both are great performers so don't think you'd be disappointed in either. I've rebuilt my wife's MK20/G250 so can comment more on that. Parts are readily available and it's easy to service. Her set had been serviced and got the piston upgrade previously so that wasn't something I had to do. Spanner tool for the 2nd stage to hose was the only tool I bought. Wasn't truly needed as was the o-ring piston installation tool. You can get by using other hand tools for either of those if you are diligent and go slow. The tools make it much easier and faster. Parts and tools for the Titan, I can't really comment on but I have heard it is a good bit more involved. If you are not planning on doing your own servicing then it's not an issue for either - costs will be close to equal. Do get yourself an IP gage which will allow you to determine when it needs servicing rather than just going by a calendar date. Other than that, both seem like very good buys. If you are doing cold though, I'd think you'd want to lean towards the Titan
I would mostly like to be ready for whatever comes, and was thinking to perhaps do some winter diving in the ocean, but not sure yet. As for servicing it myself, not in my near future plans, but it is a good tip to get the gauge. Will look into it also. Thank you once more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom