Scubapro Mk2+ Vs Evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomecki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done a lot of reading on here and decided to get a Mk2+ for it's simplicity, reliability and ease of maintenance.

I found some on sale ordered a set for me and my wife this morning. The shop calls me back and it turns out they don't have them and can't get them anymore but they offered the EVO for not much more.

What are the differences? I can't find any definitive info on this. I know the EVO has better freeze protection which I don't need, and 15% more flow which I'm not sure if I need. I'm more concerned about increased complexity, reduced reliability etc.

a MK-2 is a MK-2..... If it was so different, the marketers would have changed the name.... It's a simple, unbalanced piston... like all MK-2 versions.

The only difference between the original MK2 and the PLUS is a coated spring and a shim /sleeve on the piston for freeze protection. For warm water don't bother getting the PLUS, just get a nice used MK2 and have it serviced. They sell pretty regularly for under $50 in excellent condition.

Humm! The shop advertised a sale for the Mk2 and then says they don't have it and offer an alternative at an increased price.

I would shop elsewhere, for an older model mk2.

I've done a lot of reading on here and decided to get a Mk2+ for it's simplicity, reliability and ease of maintenance.

I found some on sale ordered a set for me and my wife this morning. The shop calls me back and it turns out they don't have them and can't get them anymore but they offered the EVO for not much more.

What are the differences? I can't find any definitive info on this. I know the EVO has better freeze protection which I don't need, and 15% more flow which I'm not sure if I need. I'm more concerned about increased complexity, reduced reliability etc.

It doesn't look like the evo adds any significant complexity or would reduce reliability. I'm only basing this on a quick look at SP's website, but it appears that the evo stuff is just a few new coatings and bushings that discourage freezing. The additional airflow is due to a slightly larger piston that allows the orifice to be a bit bigger. This is technically an advantage in performance, but it's doubtful you would ever be able to tell a difference unless you were diving extremely deep.

They seem to have gone to a replaceable orifice. That could be an improvement in the sense that if something nicks the orifice (most likely sloppy work by someone rebuilding the reg) it can be replaced.

If it were me, I'd go used, get one of the standard MK2 or MK2+ that have been around for ever, and while you're at it get an older, larger, simpler R190 2nd stage. But there's likely nothing wrong with the new version, either.

I have my doubts about the increased airflow claim. I recall a performance spec report that showed the EVO flow result at 3300 psi and the Plus result at 3000 psi and the EVO was 10% higher (surprise, surprise ). I suspect the marketing folks at Scubapro may have pushed the engineers into the back room.

The main difference between the Mk2+ and the Mk2 EVO is a new coating on the spring, an added bushing that sits between the spring and the body, and the orfice is no longer part of the body, it is now a separate component. The coating and the bushing increases the time before the regulator will freeze up in cold water. It does not prevent freezing, just delays it. EVO stands for Evolution, not a new regulator as pointed out above. The Mk2 EVO is still a simple regulator and easy to service. The Mk2 EVO with the C350 is a decent little regulator. It isn't a high performance reg, rather it is a work horse with good reliability.

Any regulator is easy to maintain, regardless of brand or type. What is important is how you take care of it. Rinse it thoroughly, don't drag it on the ground, keep it out of the muck, sand, etc., and store it where rats or bugs will not get to it.

I have my doubts about the increased airflow claim. I recall a performance spec report that showed the EVO flow result at 3300 psi and the Plus result at 3000 psi and the EVO was 10% higher (surprise, surprise ). I suspect the marketing folks at Scubapro may have pushed the engineers into the back room.

You might be right, and even if the slightly larger orifice does means more air flow at a given pressure, it's very unlikely anyone could ever actually tell the difference between the two while diving.

EVO stands for...

um..... $

(I do appreciate the idea of a replaceable orifice as a "tech" seems to have a different meaning...)

It isn't even close to being the same. The MK2 is the longest standing iconic piston regulator in the world but setting that aside, the original MK2 has been revised lots of times, most recent the MK2 became the MK2 EVO & MK2 EVO (Plus/Revised). There are 2 versions of the MK2 EVO, the newer one is 2x better, probably 10x better or more by now.

There are more differences than just a coated spring. The new MK2 EVO Plus (Revised):
1. Has an upgraded knob
2. Yoke from the MK21
3. Knife Edge from the MK17
4. Uses the MK25 ITS bushing, now called XTIS extended time
5. Shorter
6. Uses the MK25 spring coated but doubled the coating
7. Valve travels 15% farther, more, more flow
8. Piston is enlarged for faster response, better overall response time & delivers even more air
9. Capsule extends cold water bottom time (Doubled Cold Water Bottom Time)

The newest 2015 MK2 EVO (Plus) incorporates parts & designs from the MK17, MK21 & MK25 to show, that it isn't a cheapo. They doubled the cold water spring coating to prove it.

BEAST MODE Reg on Bull-Roids

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom