Scubapro G250V vs S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the G250V and like it a lot. The one thing I did notice though was the metal knob required
an above average amount of turning force after not diving it for a couple months. I don't remember
if it was rinsed thoroughly or not after my last dive. I now give it a turn or two from time to time.
I know where I want the setting so I usually back it out all the way than back in the desired number
of turns.

I've owned the S600, G250V and A700 paired with both the MK 25 and MK17 (in that order), and I can assure you that you're going to experience mouth fatigue with any/all of them.....because you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face.

You made me nervous for a second there until I got to the end of that comment. Phew. I'm looking forward to taking my new Mk17/g250v out for it's first dive, possibly in a pool in a couple of weeks (boo), and then open water in may.

I have the G250V and like it a lot. The one thing I did notice though was the metal knob required
an above average amount of turning force after not diving it for a couple months. I don't remember
if it was rinsed thoroughly or not after my last dive. I now give it a turn or two from time to time.
I know where I want the setting so I usually back it out all the way than back in the desired number
of turns.

SP actually recommends that when not using to keep it store with the knob totally open (turned away from your face) because it is less pressure on the seat. I actually dive with my adjustable second stage all the way in and adjust it when I go underwater and this helps minimize free-flow at the surface.

of turns.

This is a common occurence since the days of the 109/Adjustable, caused by the metal to metal contact. The only workaround is to liberally lube the threads inside, and that requires a bit of DIY:
- Loosen the hose
- Loosen the jam nut
- Remove the pin, adjustment knob side
- Remove the adjustment knob while pointing the barrel UP, so the guts don't fall off
- Lube like hell
- Reverse the process to put everything back

I have a MKV /109 unbalanced regulator and also a MK25 S600 setup as well. i have had them down to 130 feet and honestly cant tell any difference between the two. I even put my doubles on and placed one reg setup on one tank and the other on the other tank and alternated breathing ...i couldnt tell any difference. I can rebuild the 109/MKV for 20 dollars myself. They are both very simple designs even for someone who isnt very mechanically inclined. If you already have a MKV or MK10 i wouldnt waste my money on new regs that are dealer only serviceable. If nothing else you can pick up a rebuild kit off ebay for not much.

A 109/156 and a MK-17 - Love that combination. Its what I dive in Erie (Summer temps are 39 below the thermocline, and spring is usually about 34). Plus, nothing is better than the looks you get with 50 year old regs that are more reliable than the fancy top dollar stuff.....

Sorry, what's the 156, the Balanced Adjustable?

I occasionally still dive my 1972 109/updated MK 5 (heavier yoke, 4 LP ports, modern size HP port), breathes like a dream

Sorry, what's the 156, the Balanced Adjustable?

I think so. "109" refers to the part number for the adjustable high performance 2nd stage, I believe they were sold with Mk5 1sts and the whole set was just called the Mk5, so there was no official "model" designation for the 2nd stage. I believe the part number for the 2nd stage that said "balanced adjustable" on the faceplate was 156, so when divers convert their 109 to balanced, they refer to it as the 156. It's either that or there was an actual balanced and adjustable 2nd stage with the part number 156 that preceded the 'balanced/adjustable" but I kind of doubt it. Someone else will know for sure.

Either way, these certainly are great regs to dive with. I lean towards the coaxial valve 2nds (converted pilot is my favorite) but I also really like the balanced/adjustables. I have maybe ten of them at the moment, although I've promised a few to some folks. Couv has been re-chroming some of them and they look spectacular. (They're real, and they're spectacular.....hehe)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom