Scubapro G250V vs S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing is that the G250 has slightly better case fault geometry compared to the S600, which is why the service manual says you can adjust the G250 down to 1.0" of water "cracking pressure", and the S600 to 1.1".

That said, I think the "cracking pressure" thing is overdone a little bit. Despite the factory recommendations, I've got a pair of older G250s on my singles-rig that are tuned to .7-.8" and they do not freeflow or burp in the down position, but deliver gas SO sweet. The wife has a S600 that "as delivered" cracked at 1.2" and I really could not tell a difference from my "seat of the pants magnahelic". Could be the S600 has a better venturi system.

A few other tidbits:

The S600 has a metal air barrel now, but still has a plastic orifice. The G250V has a SS (stainless steel) orifice, so a little more metal in there. I replaced the wife's S600s orifices with SS ones. Just because.

The max flow rates given in the factory manual are 57cfm for the G250V and 66cfm for the S600. This is pointless except for bench-racing, but there you are.

The S600's balance mechanism is WAY more complex than the G250. It seems that Scubapro's design philosophy was "why use four parts when twelve will do?" This is only a technician issue, but it also introduces a lot more o-rings into the system, which adds potential failure points.

My reg of choice is the G250, but the wife likes the S600, and being that we work in a SP shop and I'm a tech, it's not a problem logistically. It's also a great way to tell gear apart, LOL.

I really like my MK17/G250V regulator. However if I had buy a new one I would get the A700 instead. My buddy and I got some mild freeflow in shallow water while ice diving. My buddy also had a major one at 110' 40F. This one might have been caused by him since the adjustement screw was not fully in. Anyway the tech at the shop told us it might be a second stage freeflow and tune down the IP by 10 PSI. Of course we were the first one to have a freeflow with a G250V :wink:

I prefer the G250V for a variety of reasons, especially for technical diving, but both breathe well.

However given a choice, I'd go with the G250V every time.

Another thing is that the G250 has slightly better case fault geometry compared to the S600, which is why the service manual says you can adjust the G250 down to 1.0" of water "cracking pressure", and the S600 to 1.1".

That said, I think the "cracking pressure" thing is overdone a little bit. Despite the factory recommendations, I've got a pair of older G250s on my singles-rig that are tuned to .7-.8" and they do not freeflow or burp in the down position, but deliver gas SO sweet. ..

Same here, older G250's:
3 pcs. @ 22mm/.9"
2 pcs. @ 20mm/.8"
None free flows in a face down position.

Just, picked our sp reps. mind. A700 - best for cold H2O folllowed closely by G250V, then S600. Personally, I have dived with all three. It is great to have three excellent choices!

I own both regs and have trested them side by side and various depths, and to me the G250V was slightly better it felt as it had a better delivery of Air, smooter less resistance. Also the S600 is more likely to freeze up than the G250V the S600 is smaller though but for me it didnt matter. My G/F like the she smaller S600 but felt the same that the G250V was slightly better so she uses it as a Back-up I have had the regs in waters from 75F- 34F and have not issue's with either.

Thanks for the responses... I'm thinking I'll probably go with the g250v and see if the shop can upgrade the old 109 I've got sitting in my basement and use it as an octo, giving me 2 seconds that are essentially the same (i think).

I've got them both and love them both. Both are mated with MK-25 1st stages. They are both GREAT breathers. I love the 250 a little more than the 600 because the metal barrel definitely mitigates the "dry mouth". Having said that however, word on the street is that SP may introduce an S600 with a metal barrel.

...upgrade the old 109 I've got sitting in my basement...

A 109/156 and a MK-17 - Love that combination. Its what I dive in Erie (Summer temps are 39 below the thermocline, and spring is usually about 34). Plus, nothing is better than the looks you get with 50 year old regs that are more reliable than the fancy top dollar stuff.....

The Mk 17/A700 is the best cold water regulator system Scubapro offers. The full metal A700 is the ultimate cold water 2nd stage.

OP, please excuse me for continuing this tangent, but, beaverdivers: I notice you recommended the A700 as best twice in this thread. I don't have a Scubapro reg, but I did look at them before buying, and I was initially attracted to the A700 second stage because of the way it looked compact and...well... sort of "special" and metal-ey.

But then I noticed that there was no way to take the cover off without undoing four tiny little screws, and I wondered if that could be a disadvantage (for example, on the reg I ended up with, I can unscrew the cover just by hand, easily) (not that I do it often, but, I have done) So.... it made me wonder about the little screws. Why is the ultimate cold-water second stage that way? Could it be a disadvantage?

(I'm a warm-water diver so far, and I realize there may be something I'm missing.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom