Scubapro G250 poppet assemby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I agree. The -105 lever will work just fine. The -141 lever with the little toe on it was designed around the barrels with the plastic sleeve added: the 250HP and the 250V. I think the old lever will work just fine with the S-wing poppet. For example, think of all the 156s that have been upgraded to the s-wing poppet with the original lever.

Get herman's lever height adjustment tool if needed.

Thanks for posting that, I may need to try the lever that came with my -156...

I'm still a bit befuddled by the lever height issue with the -109's and -156's. It seems that all 3 of mine have levers that were a hair high, even when I installed the "G250" lever with the little toes (as you described), it seemed higher than it should.

Since I have a "spare" lever now (the one that came with the -156), maybe I'll grit my teeth and do some lever "tweaking".

Best wishes.

Well, my warning came too late.......

If you are not certified you can ask any question, if you are certified for a specific manufacturer you have to know everything about every model for at least the last fifty years, otherwise your question indicates that you are a complete clueless idiot, putting lots of lives in danger, bull****ting your customers or yourself if you work on those regulators :D.

You have to admit it is ironic for a factory authorized tech to ask for information from DIYs on a product he is supposedly trained to service. It is even more ironic given the fact that Scubapro refuses to sell parts to DIYs because we are assumed to be incapable of servicing the regulators ourselves. BTW, the G250 is not an ancient regulator and was still manufactured a few years ago in its latest incarnation the G250V.

Last edited:
Everything was fine until the OP felt it necessary to inform we peons that he's 'certified'.....

Divezone, don't take it personally. Awap's comment was born out of the frustration we DIYers have about the absurd policies of parts restriction and the B.S. certification classes. For example, if one of us asked a SP dealer the same question that you posed, or asked someone at SP, the answer we'd expect is "don't work on your own regulator, bring it to a certified tech." Which would be really ironic in this case; because then the certified tech would then be asking the very same people who were told to bring it in.....etc.

Anyhow, yes you can use the new poppet; you might want to replace the balance chamber and spring while you're at it. The old kits contained the poppet and chamber, and I've found that the springs do occasionally wear out and when they get older, it's tougher to get a good consistent adjustment on the reg. As far as the lever goes, it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot with upgrading the 109 to balanced, but I bet the older G250 lever will work fine. If you get some weird lever height issue or for some reason can't get the reg to breathe well with the right lever height, just use the newest lever, the one with the curved feet.

Awap, Halocline and Arm511 you guys are starting to sounding like me. :rofl3: Divezonescuba your making use certified tech look bad you can call scubapro or looking on their website for update.

Since I have a "spare" lever now (the one that came with the -156), maybe I'll grit my teeth and do some lever "tweaking".

I've found that lever height needs tweaking not infrequently (not on the same regulator of course - I mean on a range of regs that come in for service). Don't know why, exactly. Maybe previous abuse; maybe just age and repeated removal from barrel for one reason or another. But herman's tool is perfect for the task: straightening feet and adjusting height. Though herman's bar to calibrate the height is a bit low (leaving the lever a little high - that may be the mfr spec height). I've had to add another mm of bend in most cases. That just means it's conservative. Not really a flaw.

But for me the key is just ensuring that AFTER I've adjusted for minimum sealing effort (orifice position) at lightest spring pressure, I then place the lever 1/32" below the touchpad of the diaphragm with the cover lightly screwed in place. Sometimes takes a few tries pulling the cover off and redoing it, but that's just because the resting position of the diaphragm before the cover goes on is a little higher than the sealed position.

Really, don't sweat bending the lever with herman's tool (though I'd be a bit more sanguine about it without, because it's so easy to lose the symmetry). It can take a lot of abuse.
By the way, a Japanese firm was selling all three versions of the SP lever on EBay a couple of months ago. New, and either original Scubapro equipment or damned close copies.

View attachment Scubapro poppet changes.pdf

This may help. It is a file from Vintage Double hose relating to the 109 and BA, but it would apply to the G250 also. I think there maybe an omission,I believe there was another white poppet with one o-ring before the current version with two. It is described in service release 261.

I've found that lever height needs tweaking not infrequently (not on the same regulator of course - I mean on a range of regs that come in for service). Don't know why, exactly. Maybe previous abuse; maybe just age and repeated removal from barrel for one reason or another. But herman's tool is perfect for the task: straightening feet and adjusting height. Though herman's bar to calibrate the height is a bit low (leaving the lever a little high - that may be the mfr spec height). I've had to add another mm of bend in most cases. That just means it's conservative. Not really a flaw.

But for me the key is just ensuring that AFTER I've adjusted for minimum sealing effort (orifice position) at lightest spring pressure, I then place the lever 1/32" below the touchpad of the diaphragm with the cover lightly screwed in place. Sometimes takes a few tries pulling the cover off and redoing it, but that's just because the resting position of the diaphragm before the cover goes on is a little higher than the sealed position.

Really, don't sweat bending the lever with herman's tool (though I'd be a bit more sanguine about it without, because it's so easy to lose the symmetry). It can take a lot of abuse.
By the way, a Japanese firm was selling all three versions of the SP lever on EBay a couple of months ago. New, and either original Scubapro equipment or damned close copies.

Thanks again for posting, that is helpful to know.

I've been wanting an excuse to buy Herman's tools, this gives me a great excuse...

Now, what to tell the wife when an unexpected package arrives... :D

Best wishes.

12 years ago (+/-), when scubapro was converting to the s-wing poppet, the G250 service kit included the s-wing poppet and a balance chamber. The balance chamber was unchanged but renewing it during the conversion avoided any problems with poppet stem o-ring seating as the seating surfaces within the chamber moved a little in going to the new poppet.

I believe you can still find those G250 service kits that include the S-wing poppet and balance chamber (but no spring).

I had one in my -109 parts stash that I might have gotten from ebay a few years back, or maybe another "source"??

Anyway, that complete S-wing + balance chamber kit is what I used to rebuild the Balanced Adjustable with the older blue poppet I mentioned earlier.

So I think they might still out there???

Not sure, since as a DIY'er I usually need to resort to dark alley's and secret handshakes (or ebay) to find parts kits, so I don't know what is "officially" available to a dive shop tech...

Best wishes.

After all that has been said, let me add a few facts:

• I have 3 (I think) 109 and 1 older G250 I retro-fitted with the current s-wing poppets, leaving the levers alone. They all work fine and crack at 22mm or .87in H2O

• On the contrary, my main G250 from the mid-90's and with the current poppet refuses to work with the current lever with the curvy legs. It works fine with the older lever with the straight legs.

Btw, VDH has the complete kit, but it ain't cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom