Scubapro G2 v. Shearwater Perdix AI v. Suunto Eon Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Shearwater, but there is a Scubapro G3 on the horizon. The thing that the non-Shearwater computers don’t do well is gradient factors. Scubapro still has a decompression model that uses heart rate and water temperature as factors for decompression obligations. You can decide for yourself if this is good or bad. Most people I know who are using them spend a lot of time trying to get them to match their Shearwater. Regardless of what you buy, I recommend using a non proprietary dive log software. I really like Mac-Dive. I don’t have horse in the race. I hope you are happy with whichever computer you choose.

That makes even less sense lol
Did the talking rec divers comment mean that tec divers shouldn't use transmitters?
No not at all, it was an attempt to avoid that passionate path and sticking to the subject.

Hi @Chris H

I had not heard of a G3, do you have any references? What do you know about it, will it run Buhlmann and GF like the HUD?

Yes, an ugrade for the G2, Buhlmann/GF, Sidemount (which G2 has already) and other features.

That makes even less sense lol
Did the talking rec divers comment mean that tec divers shouldn't use transmitters?
By the way spell check messed with the message and I didn’t catch it, the comma was the last part I missed, it shouldn’t be there.

the point was recreational diver needn’t be overly concerned and tech divers often reject the very idea of wireless transmitters. The only real point was don’t sweat it, if you get a great deal on a suunto go for it, dive and be happy, set it up for your sort of diving and follow the prompts and you won’t get locked ou.

Don’t know details, only know test divers.

I confirm that from first hand knowledge. Will be out towards end of summer, most likely end of this year. It is supposed to be a "real" competitor to the other big rec./tec brand.

Neither run Buhlmann GF out of the box, although I think it is, or will be, available as an option for some of the Suuntos. The G2 has a tissue loading graph with 16 compartments, similar to Buhlmann, but it's impossible to say how they derive it. They both have proprietary adjustments for conservatism. "Lockouts" refer to the computer's behavior if you ignore its recommendations, usually regarding mandatory deco. Whereas Shearwaters and a few others will complain vigorously and display prominent warning messages, they will continue to work and recalculate the stops required to get you out of the water safely. Sunntos, G2s, and most recreational computers will simply stop functioning, or switch to gauge mode, for some period of time, usually 24 hours. My guess is that in the early days of dive computers the simplified deco models they had to run couldn't deal with these issues any other way and the feature was retained for liability reasons, but that's just speculation.
I have a Suunto Eon Steel and I got it because I could finally read the numbers on the computer clearly and they were in color. Since that time, now I have discovered other computers that do the same. The big reason why I would not buy it at this point in time is that it locked out on me during my last dive of my last dive trip. this means is that as far as you are concerned, the computer is broken and will not give you any readings at all other than to say that it is locked. It was locked for 48 hours and it was only after the lockout ended that is started to do the countdown for me to get on the airplane. It turned out that by the time the Suunto said that I could get on the airplane, I had already flown from the island to MIA, stayed overnight in MIA, got on the plane to LAX, took a cab home and had already been home for a while before it told me I could get on the airplane. I would definitely NOT buy this again, but I already have a bunch of money sunk into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom