Scubapro G2 v. Shearwater Perdix AI v. Suunto Eon Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking at these three computers, and was wondering if anyone has these, things you like/dont like, what features you think they are missing, or features you are happy to have. anything helps! thanks! trying to make decisions based on facts, not just, "buy perdix ai cause SHEARWATER", if you know what i mean.

Thanks!
-ScubaBadger32

I was looking at these three computers, and was wondering if anyone has these, things you like/dont like, what features you think they are missing, or features you are happy to have. anything helps! thanks! trying to make decisions based on facts, not just, "buy perdix ai cause SHEARWATER", if you know what i mean.

Thanks!
-ScubaBadger32
I like the color display of the eon core over the perdix (just a personal preference). That being said the perdix is superior in every way, customizability, customer support, algorithm. I have no opinion or experience with the scuba pro. If you ever plan on doing any tech diving just go ahead and get a perdix. I should have done it right away. Great thing about the perdix is that is has “rec” and “tec” mode. So you can use it day one in the pool all the way to the most hardcore tech dive.

I had to make the exact same choice recently. There was one final (very convincing) argument that made me choose the perdix; both the Scuba pro and Suunto have proprietary algorithms. Esp for the Scuba Pro this is problematic, as it claims it can use heart rate and body temp, which is a claim that is simply not validated or supported by extensive data. The Suunto philosophy of doing an algorithm lock after deco violoations (in stead of making a 'best effort' to get me to the surface) is also a no-go for me.

I found this article incredibly useful: The Best Technical Diving Computers 2019 %

If you are going to be doing recreational diving only, I'd recommend the SP G2. But if you are looking to do technical diving soon, the true comparison between the SP G2 and the Perdix isn't fair at this point since the G2 in its current version doesn't support Gradient Factors yet. If you can wait for few more months, before end of year, SP will be coming out with a much improved version of the G2 that has GF in addition to many other enhancements. The G2 will have modes for recreational diving and full technical diving including sidemount.

Esp for the Scuba Pro this is problematic, as it claims it can use heart rate and body temp, which is a claim that is simply not validated or supported by extensive data.

You can turn these adjustments off. They won't hurt you by turning them on, they just make your NDL more conservative when needed, no reason to get upset about them, just turn them off if you don't like them.

You can turn these adjustments off. They won't hurt you by turning them on, they just make your NDL more conservative when needed, no reason to get upset about them, just turn them off if you don't like them.
I see your point of course, and that can certainly be a reason to consider the G2 for the OP. But for me personally, a manufacturer that chooses to include such algorithm modifications on thin (if even) non-accessible evidence in such a crucial piece of equipement with, I can only assume, predominantly commercial motives, is out of the equation for me.

Why do you think there's so many people recommending Shearwater?

They work very well. They're used extensively by technical divers who utterly rely upon them.

Or put it another way, the technical diving community is quite conservative in their equipment choices, very much sticking to the products that are proven to work. To that end, virtually all rebreathers use Shearwater computers.

My 5p/c for choosing Shearwater:
  • A single AA battery -- available anywhere. Use the SAFT for long life
  • Easy to read screen; small form factor
  • Excellent user interface that can work in "recreational" or "technical" modes
  • Super easy to use with two buttons -- no faffing
  • Excellent cloud application for logging your dives
  • Bluetooth works with your phone
  • Uses the standard decompression algorithm -- Buhlmann + GF
  • Reliable
  • Consistent user interface across all devices
  • Super customer service
I've a Perdix, Petrel and Nerd. They all work in the same way.

I can only assume, predominantly commercial motives, is out of the equation for me.

That is a presumption not the truth about their motives. SP and its subsidiary have done their own research and have their own experts but they refuse to share the algorithm for their own reason. I don't think that there is anything "sinister" in anything they have done. They give you the option and you choose what works for you.

"buy perdix ai cause SHEARWATER", if you know what i mean.
If that's all you've gotten out of these discussions you haven't really been paying attention. For many of us, proprietary algorithms and lockouts are deal killers. The Scubapros and Suunto definitely fail on the first point, the Suunto on both. I can't figure out from the manual what the G2 does if you upset it. I didn't see anything there which would make it preferable to the Perdix though, certainly nothing that would compensate for these issues.

Update: The G2 will lock you out too. Section 1.6 discusses "SOS" mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom