Scubapro G2 v. Shearwater Perdix AI v. Suunto Eon Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @BoltSnap

Reading the manual, have not owned a Scubapro computer since my daughter's Air Z Nitrox in 2002, never again.
I'll communicate with SP's technical services concerning this matter to clarify (if I remember to do it :) ).

Depends what you mean by "lock you out". My Perdix keeps going even when the battery indicator is red. The one time the battery actually died, the computer was still working right up until it wasn't (a minute or two after completing my dive).

I wouldn't call this a lock out as such as the battery just dying and no longer holding enough charge to run the screen.
That's my exact experience.

There's a very big difference between dive computer manufacturers that dominate the market. I'll make a note of this issue and pass onto the firmware developer working on the Deep 6 firmware.

The difference with the Perdix is you can grovel around for an AA battery -- even steal it out of some other piece of kit -- and go diving. Rechargeable computers or those with special disc batteries (watch sized) aren't easily available and generally aren't quick to change or charge.

I'd steal one out of my backup torch for the dive (although I would have checked the battery as part of the pre-dive build ceremony)

First, we are talking about recreational dive computers NOT technical diving computers. In recreational diving, there isn't supposed to be "required decompression" diving.

Many agencies had deco diving as part of recreational diving. It's not technical diving only. For me anyone saying a Perdix is not a recreational diving DC is incorrect. Of course it is but it also allows for more advanced diving.

I had a Suunto which worked fine ( even for deco dives ) until it's pressure sensor failed. Suunto told me to Eff off when I asked about a replacement due to their class action lawsuit, cause I wasn't in the USA. So I did eff off and anytime someone asks me about Suunto I tell them to runaway from that brand.

I decided that if getting a replacement I wanted a DC I could see more easily as my eyesight wasn't the best. I had seen other divers with the Perdix and thought dang I love how easy it is to see the screen in low vis and at night. The Shearwater Peregrine was not available several years ago so could not be considered. I did consider other brands as well and spent some time reading reviews before making a decision.

So for me the reason I got the Shearwater was first was the screen was easy to read and I could configure to what I wanted. I also decided I wanted to have a DC that had GF and could be used for later courses I wanted to take. For me budget was not a real consideration when I could buy a top line DC to be used for years of diving. Another feature was being able to replace the battery with standard batteries and also only two large buttons and not 4 small ones. At times I found the Suunto buttons a pain in the butt on dives especially on night dives trying to get the backlight on. So I did look at other DC's and decided after all the Perdix was what I wanted.

For me the best piece of diving equipment I own is my Perdix and I will buy another one as my backup. I bought mine online and then contacted Shearwater and they advised they offered warranty doesn't matter where I bought the DC. I don't have a LDS shop and being able to deal direct with the manufacturer sure is wonderful. Warranty and servicing goes with the serial number not the person who owns it.

The difference with the Perdix is you can grovel around for an AA battery -- even steal it out of some other piece of kit -- and go diving. Rechargeable computers or those with special disc batteries (watch sized) aren't easily available and generally aren't quick to change or charge.

I'd steal one out of my backup torch for the dive (although I would have checked the battery as part of the pre-dive build ceremony)

I have AA rechargeable batteries for my dive torch and keep spares. I always keep fully charged spares in my kit in a water proof box so could change them on a dive boat if needed to. However once my Perdix goes to yellow I change the battery that day. I can finish all the dives that day on yellow.

We were in about 25-30 of water and I had put too much air in my BCD and I bounced up to the surface. I came back down and thought everything was fine. My wife went straight to the surface (for a different reason) and I followed her because I wanted to make sure she was OK and did not do a safety stop and probably ascended too fast because I was worried about her. Suunto locked me out for 48 hours as I described. I was fine because I had not been down very long and was only in 25-30 feet to the bottom anyway. I guess going straight to the surface twice in a short time period did it. It was the first (and so far only) time I have been locked out in about 75 dives on this Suunto.
They don’t lock you out for that. They give you a longer safety stop and/or a shorter NDL on the next dive.

Try instructing incompetent new divers to do CBL and see how often you go up and down in an uncontrolled way. It doesn’t bust the computer, just your ears.

They don’t lock you out for that. They give you a longer safety stop and/or a shorter NDL on the next dive.

Try instructing incompetent new divers to do CBL and see how often you go up and down in an uncontrolled way. It doesn’t bust the computer, just your ears.
Hi Ken, most on won’t know what a CBL is. But yes, my last one was for AD. The student (an OWI) claimed they could control their suit and wing as well as the casualty’s. All good at 20m by 15 they started to struggle, at 10 I took control to prevent a Polaris launch. Suunto did not lock out.

Hi Ken, most on won’t know what a CBL is. But yes, my last one was for AD. The student (an OWI) claimed they could control their suit and wing as well as the casualty’s. All good at 20m by 15 they started to struggle, at 10 I took control to prevent a Polaris launch. Suunto did not lock out.

Taught in my BSAC courses controlled buoyant lift (CBL) technique to recover divers to the surface.

I have used that to bring a diver whose BCD blew out deeper than 30m on a dive using my SMB to bring him up. I used my SMB rather than try to hold onto him and put extra air in my own BCD in case we got separated. Can also use another divers BCD to bring them up as well. I do not have any dry suit training so would be at a loss for dry suit use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom