Question Scubapro DIN Conversion - to DIY or not to DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Are any special tools required to remove the yoke assembly and install the DIN Conversion on a Scubapro MK25 Evo?

Is this something that a reasonably mechanically competent person can DIY or should this be left to an authorized service tech?

Only "special" tool is just a shorty socket to get that yoke nut off and most importantly, a decent torque wrench to torque to spec, and for the love of sweet baby barnaby, make sure you torque the two to the right spec. If you're at all in doubt, have a service tech do it. Other than that, just two standard metric head sockets (for your torque wrench).

It is fairly easy to do but that socket is a must if you don't want to mar it all up. I purchased mine from scubatools.com. 1" Yoke Nut Socket Also, you can do the torque settings using a luggage scale. Rsingler has a post on here how to do so. Here is a little video of what is involved:

It is fairly easy to do but that socket is a must if you don't want to mar it all up. I purchased mine from scubatools.com. 1" Yoke Nut Socket Also, you can do the torque settings using a luggage scale. Rsingler has a post on here how to do so. Here is a little video of what is involved:

Why on earth would you use a luggage scale and not an actual torque wrench?

Easy, if one doesn't have the two torque wrenches required.
Yep, that's on me for not specifying a logical reason. Also, you should only need one torque wrench.

Yep, that's on me for not specifying a logical reason. Also, you should only need one torque wrench.
The poster is looking for a way to convert and probably doesn't have the tools or torque wrenches. Using a little ingenuity and the job can be done. The two torque settings required are quite a bit apart (30-32 Nm and just 4-5 Nm) so one may need two torque wrenches.

Thank you all for the responses. I guess it takes more than just loosening and replacing a screw to get this done right so I will just as soon have my LDS take care of it for me.

Thanks again.

The poster is looking for a way to convert and probably doesn't have the tools or torque wrenches. Using a little ingenuity and the job can be done. The two torque settings required are quite a bit apart (30-32 Nm and just 4-5 Nm) so one may need two torque wrenches.
lol maybe I'm just using "logical" incorrectly.

Mine's 5-50ish I think.

Are any special tools required to remove the yoke assembly and install the DIN Conversion on a Scubapro MK25 Evo?
I don't know about a SP Mk25 Evo, but whenever I want to remove/replace the Yoke connection from my SP Mk10's (to switch in the 300 Br. DIN connection), I go over to my LDS to use his vise--since I don't own one. Other than that, I don't use any specialty tools. (And I don't own, and don't use, a torque wrench.)

ETA: Oh, and I own and use a big crescent wrench to loosen/tighten that nut/bolt that holds the Yoke on. (Mine is an old Craftsman. From Sears. Remember them?) Careful: Such a big wrench can impart a LOT of leverage/torque!

ETA #2: I just looked. My "big" crescent wrench is sized 12"/300mm.

rx7diver

P.S.: I use yokes when I'm diving my old-school Y-valve. (And my old-school, solid bar, single outlet, J-valve doubles manifold--but I'm usually diving my DH reg with this.)

Back
Top Bottom