Scubapro 156 and 108 first stage advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My other

Added another 109. Addiction is starting to become a problem.
Addiction?!:oops:
Man, I'd like to be in your stage of 'addiction'.........:wink:
Just a few pieces of my addiction, another BA on the way.......:yeahbaby:
P1050449.JPG
P1130218.JPG

I really like the new D420. I would like to grab one 2nd hand.
Try one of the older models. They show up on ebay often and here sometimes in a variety of conditions and prices. You have to be careful shopping, but you might end up with your best regulator ever.

Try one of the older models. They show up on ebay often and here sometimes in a variety of conditions and prices. You have to be careful shopping, but you might end up with your best regulator ever.
Would you recommend the 350 or 400? I might be able to sneak in a few more before my wife kicks me out.

Would you recommend the 350 or 400? I might be able to sneak in a few more before my wife kicks me out.
If I would be you, I would go for a D350 to be sure that you got a metal orifice which makes super fine tuning possible.
The added air flow which is provided by the D400 lever needs nobody........

If I would be you, I would go for a D350 to be sure that you got a metal orifice which makes super fine tuning possible.
The added air flow which is provided by the D400 lever needs nobody........
Before 1994 the d400 had a metal orifice correct? I will keep an eye out for a good deal. Thanks

Before 1994 the d400 had a metal orifice correct? I will keep an eye out for a good deal. Thanks
Before 1994 there was no D400 on the market as far as I know. It was first sold in '94.
There has probably been a series of D400 in the beginning which had metal orifices, but it's very difficult to recognize them, because nobody knows the S/Ns of them.
I never found one, I just had once a conversion Kit from D350 to D400 with metal orifice which I sold to Simon.
Good luck!

But... if the d300 or d350 or d400 has been serviced within the last couple of decades it may very well have been updated to the newer orifice. I have a metal orifice d400 that I dive and a plastic one I hold in reserve. They say the older metal d's can be tuned to a lower cracking pressure. But for me, 1-1.2" is plenty good, and the value of the d series is its overall easygoing breathing characteristics and its immunity to differences in orientations in the water.
When buying a d series it is most important, IMO, that the rubber covering is in excellent condition. If the rubber tears the regulator cannot be repaired and is good only for parts.
We have a valuable resource here in @rsingler for parts and service and overall knowledge of all the D regulators.
If you are vigilant and patient you should be able to find a D in excellent condition for < 100.

Before 1994 there was no D400 on the market as far as I know. It was first sold in '94.
There has probably been a series of D400 in the beginning which had metal orifices, but it's very difficult to recognize them, because nobody knows the S/Ns of them.
I never found one, I just had once a conversion Kit from D350 to D400 with metal orifice which I sold to Simon.
Good luck!
I don't often differ with @axxel57 , but here in the US, it's far more common to find a metal orifice D400 than one with that Delrin replacement.
I'm pretty happy with my metal orifices, and there's a fairly easy technique for maintaining the knife edge if you're delicate.
But parts are getting really scarce, and resurfacing a plastic late model orifice is not feasible. There are no more Delrin orifices. Here's a workaround that I'm currently investigating:
I've built a little jig, and I believe I can convert the fifteen old D350 metal orifices I have lying around into D400, just by enlarging the hole for the lever. I'll let you know how it goes. Having extra metal orifices will add another decade to these beauties. We may have to find someone to make us new diaphragms, tho. :(

I don't often differ with @axxel57 , but here in the US, it's far more common to find a metal orifice D400 than one with that Delrin replacement.
I'm pretty happy with my metal orifices, and there's a fairly easy technique for maintaining the knife edge if you're delicate.
But parts are getting really scarce, and resurfacing a plastic late model orifice is not feasible. There are no more Delrin orifices. Here's a workaround that I'm currently investigating:
I've built a little jig, and I believe I can convert the fifteen old D350 metal orifices I have lying around into D400, just by enlarging the hole for the lever. I'll let you know how it goes. Having extra metal orifices will add another decade to these beauties. We may have to find someone to make us new diaphragms, tho. :(
Ah, okay, I'm not even sure that those D400 with metal orifice have ever been sold here in Europe.
It's pretty possible that they started producing & selling the D400s here only with Delrin orifices.......
1994 was the year of the implementation of the CE Standards, and the D-Series was considered as too sensitive and prone to free flowing, I think that was the reason why they changed the orifices.
In the US that might have played only later a role.....

The US doesn't often seem to get it right, so score one for this side of the pond. However helpful the CE standards have been in ensuring minimum capability, their cold water requirements have been a PITA for us delicate warm water divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom