Scubapro 156 and 108 first stage advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second stage does not influence IP but an unbalanced second IS influenced by IP. When you set the cracking pressure on an unbalanced second you need to do so at a tank pressure where it will see the highest IP (high tank pressure for a piston and low pressure for a diaphragm). If you set your unbalanced second at high pressure, then when the tank pressure drops to 300-500 psi and IP rises on a diaphragm first (even on a balanced first it can go up as much as 10-12 psi) it may cause the second to free-flow (if your second was tuned at the edge of easy breathing). Hope that explains it.
I think that you are referring to a newer design, called an “Over-Balanced First Stage.

Over-Balanced Regulator001 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

Because my understanding of a balanced first stage is that it really does not respond to fluctuations in tank pressure. But the “Over-Balanced First Stage,” by Aqualung, actually built in an increase of the IP as the diver descends, according at least to this advertisement.

The original balanced first stage was the Calypso, by U.S. Divers Company, and it did not have a fluctuation of the IP with changing tank pressures.

IMG_1824 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

SeaRat

I think that you are referring to a newer design, called an “Over-Balanced First Stage.

Over-Balanced Regulator001 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

Because my understanding of a balanced first stage is that it really does not respond to fluctuations in tank pressure. But the “Over-Balanced First Stage,” by Aqualung, actually built in an increase of the IP as the diver descends, according at least to this advertisement.

The original balanced first stage was the Calypso, by U.S. Divers Company, and it did not have a fluctuation of the IP with changing tank pressures.

IMG_1824 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

SeaRat
I think there’s 3 things being discussed.

Balanced (IP independent of tank pressure), overbalanced (IP sees slight increase with increased ambient pressure, independent of tank pressure), and regs that are “balanced” but still see slight variation of IP based on tank pressure. This in contrast to an unbalanced 1st which sees more dramatic changes based on IP.

And of course, all 1st stages put out their IP over the ambient pressure.

Many "balanced" first stages are not perfectly balanced.

Some first stages, like the Conshelf and the Scubapro Mk-5, the IP changes just a few PSI as the tank pressure changes, from full to empty. I think that 5 to 10 PSI change is not uncommon in many of these first stages from my observation, but I have not recorded it. Maybe I will.

Then there are some of the Poseidon "balanced" diaphragm first stages that the IP would have a large change as a function of tank pressure change. Their second stages were not affected by the IP change so I am guessing, Poseidon didn't care. Their newest first stage is supposed to be much better in every aspect.

I think there’s 3 things being discussed.

Balanced (IP independent of tank pressure), overbalanced (IP sees slight increase with increased ambient pressure, independent of tank pressure), and regs that are “balanced” but still see slight variation of IP based on tank pressure. This in contrast to an unbalanced 1st which sees more dramatic changes based on IP.

And of course, all 1st stages put out their IP over the ambient pressure.
Yes, I was referring to “balanced” regs which actually have a small change in IP across tank pressure.

Well I was able to use my 156 in the in-laws pool!

Attachments

• Attach0(18).jpg
    Attach0(18).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Attach0(17).jpg
    Attach0(17).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 56
Well I was able to use my 156 in the in-laws pool!
Um, you can probably pick up an old-school blow-molded plastic backpack w/ harness at your local Play-It-Again-Sports store, for $10 - $15. :)

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom