Scubapro 109 regulator bad signs and servicing pointers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head to replace the metal orifice is if the edge on it is damaged, so that it won't seal easily against the seat. If you have a magnifying glass you can inspect the edge on yours, if there's noticeable damage, they did the right thing, if not you can put the metal ones back in. It is also possible to clean up the edge on the orifice but it's pretty fussy to get it right. You could us a fine abrasive cone to get the inside of the edge, some very fine abrasive paper for the outside, and try lap sanding for the seating surface itself.

I have not seen a metal orifice that's damaged enough to need replacement, but that doesn't mean that yours don't. Maybe the threads on them are damaged? The poppet, balance chamber, and spring are to convert an unbalanced 109 to balanced/adjustable status, or to replace the old style balanced poppet. If your other one is still unbalanced and he rebuilt it, he could have used a seat from the R190 kit, if it already had the updated unbalanced poppet from the G200. There's no other reason I can think of to use an R190 kit in this reg.

I suggest you leave one balanced and one unbalanced, use the balanced as your primary and the unbalanced as your octo. If they were rebuilt well, they'll both breathe very well. With a high performance 1st stage that has a nice stable IP and very low IP drop during inhalation, you'll have a tough time telling much difference between the 109 and balanced adjustable.

109 or 156

Attachments

• scuba pro 109.JPG
    scuba pro 109.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 348
  • scuba pro 109 (1).JPG
    scuba pro 109 (1).JPG
    141 KB · Views: 341
  • scuba pro 109 (2).JPG
    scuba pro 109 (2).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 326
109. It is unbalanced. For the 156, replace the duro poppet w/seat, heavy spring, and spring pad with the S-wing poppet w/seat, light spring, and balance chamber. But you may have a hard time detecting the performance difference.

Hi Ericpitar, i'm from the Philippines too. would it be ok to check out what you've done? i'm a newbie and kinda getting confused here. :)

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

Where do we get the S-wing poppet w/seat, light spring, and balance chamber?

Where do we get the S-wing poppet w/seat, light spring, and balance chamber?

If they sell parts in the PI then you should be able to find them at your Scubapro dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom