SCUBA Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...doesn't Scott over at Down Under have a sweet trailer that he hauls around?

A 5'x8' enclosed utility trailer will hold 10 sets of doubles,30 stage bottles,a compressor,a supply compressor for haskell and booster pump,a haskell and booster pump,dive gear for 5 people .Table on piano hinge with cable stays.Pumps mounted on the forward wall.Compressors on the side the table is on .Tanks laid down and tied down.Sleeping bags and camp stuff too.My buddy sold it when he moved down here from D.C.They used to come down caving.You see these trailers at places like Ginnie,40 Fathoms etc.

O-ring once bubbled...
...doesn't Scott over at Down Under have a sweet trailer that he hauls around?

Yea, Scott and the guys at DU have a nice one,they carry a lot of rental stuff in it when doing classes. I have an old boat trailer I have been kicking around the idea of converting.

We need to do Lake Rawling again...when it warms up some. Just got back from Crystal River visiting Tony. Got into a herd of manatees and did a couple of nice cavern dives.

This is what you need for dive stuff!!

Here's a shot of mine. We replaced our mini van with a small wagon, the year before I took up diving (after wanting to for many years). Got a little ridiculous trying to shoehorn all the gear into the car, and then my wife signed up for the course.

Trailer details. Built on a former single bed tent trailer frame. Outside dimensions of the box 46" wide, 6' long, 4' tall. Holds 4 tanks on each side, accessable from the outside. Center section has two strong bars to hang up wet gear (suits and BC's), with drains in the bottom and lots of ventilation (none of it powred, but I may add a fan of some type, possible a solar powered RV type. The front box is our "Dry" area, change of clothing, towels, camera and the regs ride there.
So far it's worked really well, we've had the tanks racks full (8 X AL80's). We've towed it somewhere in the range of 3000km since construction last August. It's been from Kitchener, ON to Tobermory, Meaford (several times), Barrie (twice) and Gilboa Quarry. I'd change a couple of things if I was doing it again, but overall it has achieved what I set out to do. (Sorry, no compressor)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
But the red sign on it says, "Steal me, I contain good stuff."
Yeah, I debated that. Not having any signs may or may not help. Anybody who sees a door opened on a dive site, will know right away what's in it. Among the general populace, most have no idea what the flag means (especially many operators of small power boats and PWC's), so it probably doesn;t increase the risk.

A local (to me) company lost a $180,000 hot air ballon last fall. It was in a "Wells Cargo" trailer. Nice dual axle, box type unit, the trailer itself worth quite a bit. No markings on the trailer and not parked by their office. Local cops figure someone stole a nice trailer worth about $15,000 and probably threw away/hid the balloon, basket, etc., as it was unlikely you could use or sell without it being identified.

I'm generally pretty careful about securing it (not that locks are foolproof). Fortunately, gear theft is very rare around here and when were diving, there's not a lot to steal after we hit the water.

Mike I looked at a lot of trailers, even pulled some a few thousand miles, before I decided that I would have to BUILD what I wanted. I used 1 1/2" square tubing for the frame, a small car rear axle, (so: 1.I would never have to worry about lubing the wheel bearings. 2. I also pulled out the ring gear so the pinion would be turning all the time. 3. This way I have 13" wheels which aren't turning 70 zillion RPMs when I'm zipping down I-75 or I-95). I had the metal broke-up to my specs at a local metal shop, then I put the whole thing together and painted it with Imron paint. I put two different sets of taillights on it so I could plug up to "American" or "International" turn signals, without major surgery. I used outdoor carpeting. By the way: IF you decide to build one, if you will use the same dimension from the ball to the axle as your car is from the ball to it's rear axle - it will handle like a dream! JMO -Norm

Mike and I were talking today and he might be thinking Gavin instead of trailer...

O-ring once bubbled...
Mike and I were talking today and he might be thinking Gavin instead of trailer...

Let see; if I do this right I can tell Deb I’ll buy the scooter instead of the trailer and then somehow make her think that the trailer is her idea and we need one. Then I’ll have both!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom