SCUBA Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I’m thinking of buying a utility trailer for diving. The concept is to store all the gear in the trailer with the trailer stored in the garage. To go diving all I have to do is hitch the trailer and go.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice on what type of trailer to get and how to configure the trailer? Is there anything to watch out for?

So far I’ve come up with the following:
The floor and walls should be water resistant with floor drains.
Ventilation system and possibly Dehumidifier for keeping equipment dry.
Some type of battery powered lighting system (car battery with trickle charger?)
There should be some method to secure tanks (to wall?)during transport.
A way to secure two rolling toolboxes (one for tools one for equipment/parts storage).
It should be laid out so it can be used as a changing room at the quarry.
Some sort of working surface (folding table?)

Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Ive been working on this one for a while myself, to develop a trailer for my scuba stuff to pull behind a motorcycle.

what I'm using so far is one of the storage containers they sell to strap to the roof-racks of a car.
I welded up a small trailer frame to go under the container.

advantages are:
waterproof (fiberglass)
lockable for security
aerodynamic (looks purdy)

nice!

but big!! LOL :wink:

There is a dive shop near me whos owner has done exactly as you posted. He even has nitrox storage bottles built in under the seats and a fill control panel. The inside is covered in RhinoHide. Last I knew, it was for sale as he is making a bigger one to hold a compressor also. If you want contact info, PM me.

MD

...while you are at it, put in a blending station and a Haskel...then come by and pick me up every time you are heading to Millbrook.. :wink:

O-ring once bubbled...
...while you are at it, put in a blending station and a Haskel...then come by and pick me up every time you are heading to Millbrook.. :wink:

Got a buddy who wants to do just that. He has everything he needs, except for the trailer. And I think I mighta found him one...

How about you just head down towards I-10 and we'll pick you up on our way through Florida instead? We can go visit Kjun. :wink:

Upgrade the type of tires on your trailer if they are the small 12" or 13" trailer type. Most of these have a limited load rating and are speed rated to only 50-55 mph. Instead, go with either 13" or 14" standard car/truck type tires. High speed trailer tires are even better but if the load requiremnets are not that great, car or truck tires will be fine and easier to replace on the road. These will give you better load rating, highway speed rating and most important (voice of experience)you can get them replaced at almost any gas station/tire shop/Kmart. Those small trailer tires are hard to get replaced sometimes. It's also a very good idea to carry a spare AND A TRAILER JACK.

Add some form of bench to the back or side that is the correct hight for setting up, donning and doffing gear would be nice as well. A folding bench maybe?

The lights are a good idea but a car battery is gross overkill. A small 6-10 amp hour gel cell would do for most applications, weights a lot less and takes up a lot less space.

Back
Top Bottom