Hanging dry suit to dry in a home's "boiler room."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course. Just saying that it can be determined whether the motor in the furnace room would be a problem or not. If it's not brushless, it might even be replaceable with a brushless motor.
Yep, I assume most of the new stuff including circulation pumps are brushless so you’re likely right that there is little to worry about.

There is the question of how long the suit will be in the room. If you are using that space to dry the gear and after a day or so moving it elsewhere for storage, the exposure to ozone, fumes, gasses, etc. should have minimal impact on the equipment.

I stored and dried wetsuits and drysuits in an open, unfinished basement with a gas furnace and gas hot water heater. Never had a seal fail or gear degrade.

parzdiver beat me to it. If I understood correctly, OP isn't planning on keeping the suit there, just to hang it out to dry.
I don't think a day or two per week ( if even that much) is going to do a lot of damage.

I know for a fact it causes a lot with drysuit seals
you need to be more specific -how much faster will it deteriorate hanging in a basement to dry than say hanging outside or any other place to dry

you need to be more specific -how much faster will it deteriorate hanging in a basement to dry than say hanging outside or any other place to dry

One of my friends had to replace her seals after 1 year.

For the rest, interesting, I learned something new today.

There is the question of how long the suit will be in the room. If you are using that space to dry the gear and after a day or so moving it elsewhere for storage, the exposure to ozone, fumes, gasses, etc. should have minimal impact on the equipment.

I stored and dried wetsuits and drysuits in an open, unfinished basement with a gas furnace and gas hot water heater. Never had a seal fail or gear degrade.
Why do people think their furnace room has fumes and gasses in it?

Modern high efficiency gas burners have powered exhaust systems that turn on prior to the burner. None of the combustion gasses can go anywhere except out the exhaust system.

Why do people think their furnace room has fumes and gasses in it?

Modern high efficiency gas burners have powered exhaust systems that turn on prior to the burner. None of the combustion gasses can go anywhere except out the exhaust system.
Which is why the bigger risk is from the electric motors in the system (if they aren't brushless).

Gas or oil=nope. The ozone will cause dive gear to breakdown over time.
I have been in the heating/cooling trade for over 30 years. All the modern gas heating equipment is pretty much all high efficiency with a sealed combustion chamber. The fresh air intake and exhaust are piped to the outside of the house, so it doesn't add to or remove anything from the air inside of the house.

I have kept my Neoprene drysuit hanging 2 feet from my high efficiency gas furnace for over 20 years and it hasn't effected it yet.

I have been in the heating/cooling trade for over 30 years. All the modern gas heating equipment is pretty much all high efficiency with a sealed combustion chamber. The fresh air intake and exhaust are piped to the outside of the house, so it doesn't add to or remove anything from the air inside of the house.
Any idea if the blower motors of modern systems are brushless? My guess would be yes.

Any idea if the blower motors of modern systems are brushless? My guess would be yes.
Most high efficiency gas furnace blower motors are DC now and are brushless. The electric motor on the exhaust blower is usually DC too but not always, depending on how high end the make of furnace is.

Back
Top Bottom