Hanging dry suit to dry in a home's "boiler room."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Electric motors produce ozone; so think furnace blower motors, circulation fans, etc
In this case, the only motor I can think of would be a water pump.

However, "no fans" seems extreme. And with forced air heat, wouldn't that rule out drying anywhere in the house?

There is the question of how long the suit will be in the room. If you are using that space to dry the gear and after a day or so moving it elsewhere for storage, the exposure to ozone, fumes, gasses, etc. should have minimal impact on the equipment.

I stored and dried wetsuits and drysuits in an open, unfinished basement with a gas furnace and gas hot water heater. Never had a seal fail or gear degrade.
As long as my wife lets me is the answer. In other words, not very long....

I have been in the heating/cooling trade for over 30 years. All the modern gas heating equipment is pretty much all high efficiency with a sealed combustion chamber. The fresh air intake and exhaust are piped to the outside of the house, so it doesn't add to or remove anything from the air inside of the house.

I have kept my Neoprene drysuit hanging 2 feet from my high efficiency gas furnace for over 20 years and it hasn't effected it yet.
Yeah I guess I should have worried more about a furnace as opposed to a boiler. (We replaced the gas furnace with the boiler. It was a newer furnace, but adapted to 1929-era oil furnace ductwork. I suspect it leaked like a sieve.)

Even older blower motors are brushless. Just a basic induction motor.

Brushed motors are rather rare. Simple DC motors. Really old (really really old) AC motors that are generally in the multi HP range.

In this case, the only motor I can think of would be a water pump.

However, "no fans" seems extreme. And with forced air heat, wouldn't that rule out drying anywhere in the house?
I would expect that any ozone produced would be pretty dilute by the time it reaches the rest of the house.

You are also missing that you still need a motor that actually produces ozone. The assumption that they all do is false. I'm still trying to find one that does since even the old ones are just induction motors and the new ones are 3-phase

I seriously would like to hear the reasoning. It's the ozone from combustion that is bad for the gear, no combustion no ozone. I wonder if it's just one of those general rules.

Electric motors produce ozone; so think furnace blower motors, circulation fans, etc

Electric motors (other than brushless motors), or anything with any kind of electrical arcing or sparking produce ozone.

Just to be clear
Other than universal motors (think like vacuum cleaner, table saw, blender etc) there are very few furnaces that use brushed motors, (if any,) they use induction motors, which is a brushless motor.

My vote is to hang it in whatever location is most convenient and whatever location makes your significant other the happiest happiest. Dry it thoroughly and then just pack it all up so it's all ready to go on your next dive. If it's a nice day...and it's an option for you...... then I like to just dry everything outside. If it's a crappy day then I dry it all in the garage with a big ass fan on it.... I really think that big time air circulation from a fan is key and that worrying about brushless motors and ozone is really not an issue unless you just leave things hanging for weeks or months at a time..

PS.... I really like the heavy duty Z-Rack for $119 on Amazon.. Super tall, height adjustable, very stable and has good quality castor wheels for easily moving it around...

iDVevvl.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom