Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked on a vessel that was (and is) state registered (Maine, complete with numbers/decal port and starboard), and was also CG Inspected (with a COI). I was aboard the day we had the inspection, and I don't believe it was a "courtesy" inspection - I thought it was required in order to keep our rating (?). If I remember correctly it stipulated number of passengers, where we could operate, etc. (I may be wrong, and those stipulations may originate somewhere else, but I was aboard for the CG Inspection).

I don't know how common this is, but I used it as the basis for thinking all four combinations must be possible.

If it has a COI, it will be in the PSIX. Look up the Maine vessel in the PSIX and see if it is documented. Spree is documented as well as state registered. I wonder if ferries owned by municipalities (Casco Bay Ferries) are state registered or documented?

Edit - they are documented.

copperhead357, welcome to our group. We are glad to have you, but wish it could have been under another circumstance. ((((hugs))) to you and to Aimee's family. Life will never be the same because no one can ever take her place. It is hard to find the new normal, because we want so desperately the old normal back. Aimee sounds like a wonderful person. The picture on the blog tells of a woman full of life and happiness. What a great smile she had. A picture is worth a 1000 words, but actually knowing and loving someone is untold volumes.

We try in this forum to learn and speculate about accidents with the hope that there will be fewer Aimees out there that never make it home. I can testify that I made it home from a dive that went horribly wrong and it was due to lessons learned here. We mean no disrespect to Aimee or her family. It really is our desire to help one another learn and live. Right now we have all the time in the world, but when an emergency unfolds there is generally only a few seconds to alter the course of it.

Your friend will need you more than ever in the coming weeks. When tragedy happens there is the whole immediate grief and drama thing going on. Lots of people around and lots of support, but most of it comes at a time when it is all a blur for you. Then life begins to go on, but it isn't the same. Everyone else goes back to their life, but you can't go back to yours because it is gone. Your dear friend is coming upon that stage now. He and the little one need you more now than ever. I hope you will organize friends and family around him to deliberately walk through this time with them in the coming months.

I think one of the hardest things with grief is that you think you are doing better and then it hits you below the belt again when you don't see it coming. I remember in the first couple of years after losing someone dear to me that I would seem to be fine for a while and could talk about it ok. Then out of no where I would lose it and be overwhelmed with tears and sorrow.

Grace & Peace
Leah

This was a horrible accident that should not have happened, a terrible loss for the families of the two deceased Discover students, an insult to Scuba as a sport and the Florida Keys as a destination, and more - and I do most certainly feel for the family.
The shop closed down right after the sinking, I believe? That means there is no one there to do anything. I speculate, of course.
They may not answer the phone but any bank will accept a dispute on the charges, and anyone on that boat should dispute them - unless their lawyer tells them not to as it could look interesting in court.

It may well have been that the charges went thru as an automatic function and showed up on the account days after the trip for good reason.

Last edited:
For discussion purposes, the blue sticker on the port wheelhouse window is likely the Florida yearly decal. (My boats are not registered in FL, so not 100% sure what FL's decal looks like).

see below pic. (adding as attachment).

Attachments

• get-wet-side-view.jpg
    get-wet-side-view.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 357
Condolences and similar feelings are prohibited on this forum for good reasons, which is why we have a Passings forum.
Don, you may not have remembered that this thread is not in the A&I forum.

Condolences and similar feelings are prohibited on this forum for good reasons, which is why we have a Passings forum. This was a horrible accident that should not have happened, a terrible loss for the families of the two deceased Discover students, an insult to Scuba as a sport and the Florida Keys as a destination, and more - and while I do most certainly feel for the family, this is just not the forum for such expressions.

:tongue: Read back, Don, before you jump in! :tongue2:

Don, you may not have remembered that this thread is not in the A&I forum.
You are certainly correct and I am very wrong. Edited, with my thanks. :blush:
:tongue: Read back, Don, before you jump in! :tongue2:
Hey, honest mistake. It should be in A&I.
Amit was in critical condition, but now he is out of danger.
:confused: It would be nice if he is recovering, rather than dead as reported above.

Welcome, Viks! Thanks for coming on board.

I don't mean this as challenging (much), but as I posted to VooDooGasMan, please cite your source? Thank you. :)

Welcome viks120, and thank you for the information. That sounds much better than Voodoogasman's assertion.

Not to pry, but since we have such diametrically opposed reports (and VDGM does not care to cite a source), would you be willing to let us know yours? Perhaps you are a friend or a relative?

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom