Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
We've been down this road before and it was exhausting. There is such a Love or Hate dynamic with the locals and this particular shop, that we don't see with any other shops in the area.

It's an unfortunate incident and preventable by both parties that could have ended very badly. I would have liked to see the shop take some responsibilty for their part and admit they may have made a mistake and not deflect all blame to the OP, travel, waivers, etc. but that's just not their style from all I've experienced, seen and heard, and I never expected them to own up to the fact that they are fallible/human and made a mistake.

Mistakes happen, it's how you handle them that shows your character. This may be the first time the shop's service reputation has come under fire publicly in this forum but this is not the first time this shop's customer service and business practices have come into question on this forum or elsewhere, nor is it the first service error I've heard of.

-Garrett

My post was made in the vacuum of not knowing anything about Scuba Sciences or anything about their previous history with the local folks. Maybe this is a case where the anecdotal evidence and the statistical evidence are the same. However, in the vacuum in which I operate with regard to this shop, I would stand by my comments about anecdotal data. It is often not instructive to use it. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut, but it's getting to be too difficult.

"**** happens." Get over it.

The reg failed, and the issue was handled.

It's no different than if the tank o-ring extruded or any of a hundred other failures.

I don't use Scuba Sciences, don't live near them and don't have anything to do with them, but they're taking a real beating for something they might or might not have done.

Stuff breaks. That's why we teach emergency procedures in OW class.

How about giving these guys a break?

Terry

To be fair, Going off memory: I don't think anyone has come on and blamed the LDS specifically and completely for the malfunction. There has been some criticism as to LDS handling of it.

Just glad everyone is OK

jcf

I end with this plea. If any of you are unfortunate enough to be the customer who gets the brunt of MY occasional stupid mistakes (sending the wrong valve with a cylinder order, losing an occasional order, shipping someone elses order to you by accident, or that occasional stupid bench mistake) PLEASE CALL ME AND LET ME MAKE IT RIGHT! Why do I make this plea? Because your problem is simply anectodal evidence that I am, after all, human and will occasionally make that stupid human mistake that looks SO bad on a thread like this. Thanks for your time to read.

Phil Ellis[/quote]

Hi Phil and Everyone,

That is a very powerful statement. People do make mistakes, but it's also nice to have the opportunity to see what happened, fix it, and make it right!

With 37 years of experience, we at Scuba Sciences (Store Staff, DiveCons & Instructors) are excited to interact on SB to share our ideas and opinions, talk about diving issues and destinations, and gain opinions & ideas from other Divers:) .

We would like to offer Mr. Just a FREE regulator overhaul now (in the next month or so), let him use our pool to properly test his equipment for FREE, a FREE Equipment Techniques Class, and a FREE Regulator service in October, 2007 when he is due again.

So, what do you think Mr. Just? Please let us know what you decide.

Scuba Sciences:
We would like to offer Mr. Just a FREE regulator overhaul now (in the next month or so), let him use our pool to properly test his equipment for FREE, a FREE Equipment Techniques Class, and a FREE Regulator service in October, 2007 when he is due again.

Are you changing anything about the way you check outbound regulators?
If you've already said you are, I must have missed it :)
Rick

ScubaSciences:
We would like to offer Mr. Just a FREE regulator overhaul now (in the next month or so), let him use our pool to properly test his equipment for FREE, a FREE Equipment Techniques Class, and a FREE Regulator service in October, 2007 when he is due again. So, what do you think Mr. Just? Please let us know what you decide.

Here's part of your answer....

cjust:
Unfortunately, I have lost faith in their service department and I would not feel comfortable trusting my equipment to them again.

Scuba Sciences:

Two free reg service vs the refund of the cost of the last service????

It seems to me Scuba Science has had a couple chances to come out a winner here. But it looks like they would rather play silly games in front of a public audience. A hard fought, expensive battle to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. It wouldn't surprise me if Larry came along and offered to help Mr. Just to avoid any unnecessary damage to the good name of Zeagle.

Caution: Darwin at Work! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Rick Murchison:
Are you changing anything about the way you check outbound regulators?
If you've already said you are, I must have missed it :)
Rick

Golly Rick, I'd hate to be in your court. You've tried, convicted, and hung the LDS without ever knowing if their service was actually to blame for this failure. As has been pointed out, I think the majority of the posts on this thread is in reaction to the LDS somewhat defensive original response to the OP.

cjust:
I contacted the company about the problem and asked for a refund for the service. I'm not trying to scam them, and I'm not looking for any compensation for other 'damages'. All I want is the money returned for a service I paid for but didn't get.

Tina, what you've offered seems very fair, but as outlined in previous posts may not be what he is looking for. It sounds like he is a bit frazzled and disenfranchised from having a second stage fall of his hose so soon after being serviced. Not pointing any fingers, of course.

I am sure we are all awaiting "Mr. Just's" response (hopefully to put an end to this discussion and move on to less drama filled topics). However, while he is (perhaps), considering your offer would you be willing to meet his initial request from the OP? I am not brokering a deal here, just curious if this is a (reasonable) option?

We look forward from hearing from both of you.

JcF

Scuba Sciences:
Hi Phil and Everyone,

That is a very powerful statement. People do make mistakes, but it's also nice to have the opportunity to see what happened, fix it, and make it right!

With 37 years of experience, we at Scuba Sciences (Store Staff, DiveCons & Instructors) are excited to interact on SB to share our ideas and opinions, talk about diving issues and destinations, and gain opinions & ideas from other Divers:) .

And that my SB friends is why they have been in business for 37 years. They do care and they do learn! This is why the 2006 person of the year with Time magazine was "YOU" the internet user, because it has changed everything.

WELL DONE!

Back
Top Bottom