Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis:
I have read this thread every morning for the past three days. It is extremely unfortunate that the OP had the problems with the regulator. This type of accident can be deadly, so our collective wish that it never happen again is not misplaced.

As I read this again this morning, I was thinking how lucky I am that a few of my mistakes were not brought to an internet chat board. We service about 250 regulators a year, and I will admit that over the past seven years, a few of these left the shop with clearly stupid omissions in the service procedures. In fact, one left our shop with exactly this same problem. Thank goodness the customer caught this on the pre-dive inspection. Our regulator technicians are very high quality people and they do an extremely good job on the repair bench. I would bet that the complete satisfaction percentages would be over 99.5%. That does not mean that a couple didn't exhibit some clearly stupid omissions. For the customers unfortunate enough to be exposed to those omissions, the DISSATISFACTION percentage is 100%.

In my previous life (prior to going into the scuba business), I dabbled in industrial statistics as a quality inprovement consultant. My mentor was the famous quality guru, Dr. Edward Deming. He once told me "never make ANY conclusions based on anecdotal evidence. It is often not representative, in any way, of the real situation...and it only leads to the necessity for the good statistician to revoke and correct conclusions made from it."

In this situation with Scuba Sciences, we have a few (maybe more than a few) examples of complete 100% dissatisfaction from the folks that were potentially exposed to stupid omissions by Scuba Sciences. Does this, in any meaningful way, give evidence of the skill and abilities of Scuba Sciences? I would say no. It does demonstrate that silly, often dangerous, mistakes happen on the repair bench. I also fear that it might give excellent proof as to why the good Dr. Deming gave me that strongly worded warning about anecdotal evidence.

Tina came here to attempt to explain what happend in this case. Her explaination was filled with clear information (from her viewpoint) of what happend in this case, including her timeline of when things happened. It was also full of attempts to displace any blame her organizaiton might have for the problem. I expect there was just a little bit of organizational fear when they learned of the negative thread about them. While misplaced, this attempt to avoid blame is normal. After all, GREAT organizational damage can be done by a thread like this one. I remember, several years ago, about a posting about rust in scuba cylinders at Aldora Divers in Cozumel. A very limited problem caused them extremely expensive organization damage. I have no current knowledge of the situation, but I would bet they continue to suffer to this very day because of a single thread, detailing a very limited problem. Tina responded to this particular thread with an abundance of human nature........try to avoid the blame and stop the damage at almost any cost. A pure demonstration of the drive to survive. She also offered a remedy for the OP. Maybe not the remedy we would have wanted, but a remedy all the same.

The original poster had every right to come here and express thoughts about his problem. It is also worthwhile to note that the original poster came here ONLY to express his thoughts about this problem. He had never posted before, and hasn't posted since. Nothing about the OPs first experience drove him to contribute on any of the other excellent threads opened in the few days since he joined. Apparently only a single-minded desire to make sure everyone here fully understood the truth, as he saw it, about the quality of the services at Scuba Sciences.

I have some good friends and customers that have made remarks on this thread. Like me, they all wish that this particular problem had not occurred and they all, like me, hope that their responses caused Scuba Sciences (and all of us that repair scuba equipment) get the point and do a better job. But please remember that the story is simply anectodal evidence, probably not representative of the day to day work at Scuba Sciences. Remember that Tina's response was the first response of an individual, acting with an abundance of human nature, attempting to limit the damage of what she views as a limited problem. Doesn't change the fact that it scared the H**L out of the OP and it doesn't change the fact that the OP has 100% dissatisfaction with the quality of the work at Scuba Sciences. It doesn't change the fact that it could have worked out MUCH worse were it not for the controlled and reasoned response of the OP when the problem occurred at depth. But it is, when all things are considered, simply anectodal evidence of what can happen when things go wrong on the repair bench. Not at all, I suspect, typical of the true statistical performance of the repair bench at Scuba Sciences. Sometimes, SLIGHT mistakes have terrible consequences.

I end with this plea. If any of you are unfortunate enough to be the customer who gets the brunt of MY occasional stupid mistakes (sending the wrong valve with a cylinder order, losing an occasional order, shipping someone elses order to you by accident, or that occasional stupid bench mistake) PLEASE CALL ME AND LET ME MAKE IT RIGHT! Why do I make this plea? Because your problem is simply anectodal evidence that I am, after all, human and will occasionally make that stupid human mistake that looks SO bad on a thread like this. Thanks for your time to read.

Phil Ellis

Great post Phil, ask me one day how many IP gauges I've handed to custumers because they were still attached to the inflator hose...

As techs we all need to constantly strive for perfection because truly lives do depend on our abilities. Yet we are human and do make mistakes.

PhilEllis:
I end with this plea. If any of you are unfortunate enough to be the customer who gets the brunt of MY occasional stupid mistakes (sending the wrong valve with a cylinder order, losing an occasional order, shipping someone elses order to you by accident, or that occasional stupid bench mistake) PLEASE CALL ME AND LET ME MAKE IT RIGHT! Why do I make this plea? Because your problem is simply anectodal evidence that I am, after all, human and will occasionally make that stupid human mistake that looks SO bad on a thread like this. Thanks for your time to read.

Phil Ellis

I reread the initial post and it appears that the OP's initial action was to go to the shop and give them a chance to handle their error to the customer's satisfaction. He wanted his money back. SSI offered to service the reg again and apparently refused to provide a refund. In hind sight, I believe that SSI will realize the requested refund would have been a much easier and less expensive way to deal with this dissatisfied customer than the route chosen. And, at this point, I don't think the damage is finished being done.

The OP did just what you would have wanted him to do were he your customer. You seem to run one of the shops that listens to customers and finds ways to satisfy them while running a good business. Other shops are apparently run quite differently.

I do my own regs but I understand mistakes happen. But shops need to take aggressive action to correct those mistakes to the customers' satisfaction (plural intented) and initiate procedures and checks to eliminate or significanly reduce their reoccurance.

i have had my gear service at this shop and two other shops and have not had any thing go wrong with my gear yet
the service tec at ssi has over 20 years of working on regulators so if a small % of the regulators come back for reservice that is not bad after all he is human

cerich:
Great post Phil, ask me one day how many IP gauges I've handed to custumers because they were still attached to the inflator hose...

As techs we all need to constantly strive for perfection because truly lives do depend on our abilities. Yet we are human and do make mistakes.

Step One in Customer Service: Avoid conflict. Take care of the Customer, Completely.
Step Two in Customer Service: The customer is always right. If the customer is wrong, see step one.

You can still satisfy a disappointed customer without admitting fault or providing lofty legal disclaimers.

In this case, refund the monies, offer to repair the regulator. Matter closed, customer taken care of, completely. Think of all the time and energy people have put into this matter. See step one.

The refund of the repair bill is mute. Even if the regulator was damaged on the plane or in transit or by the customers three year old son playing with it in the bathtub. The customer's perception was it was the fault of the shop. See step two.

As for the intangible cost .... who know, but a lot more than $100.

Just my two cents ....

Great post, Phil.

A couple of comments -

cjust, the OP, has been a member here since Feb 2002. True, this was his first post, but that doesn't mean he doesn't regularly visit and read the forums.

Unfortunately, the LDS has a track history in the AZ Scuba forum. Several months ago Tina and several other Scuba Sciences employees and customers joined the Board all within a couple of weeks of each other after another thread was started about their customer service. (BTW, let's leave that thread dead, please!) After a few weeks most of those new members disappeared from the Board. To her credit, Tina has been on the Board on a regular basis and contributes to other threads. From the AZ perspective, the issue here isn't so much what happened with the reg. Yes, s*&% happens...to everyone. I believe the issue is more how this was dealt with when the OP approached them and by the response in this thread.

Your statement here:

Phil Ellis

is what it should all be about. To have a successful business and continue in that business you have to please your customers. To a certain extent, this may even involve doing something when you believe the customer is wrong...because the customer is always right. In the long run, word of mouth is the strongest marketing tool.

scubadiver1302001:
so if a small % of the regulators come back for reservice that is not bad after all he is human

No offense: if it's your reg and it malfunctions at 100 feet; 20 years experience and a 99.99999% satisfactory service rate is irrelevant.

Yes, we are human. Mistakes happen. Nobody expects anything less. It would be supernatural (especially after 20 years to have 100% satisfactory rating.

How we handle mistakes is the defining bellwether of our true character. How we handle successes is the defining bellwether of our true ego.

jcf

PS - I am not pointing fault at anyone in this instance. Just adding my two cents and playing Switzerland. Could be the shop, could be something else. No one truly knows, do we?

scubadiver1302001:
i have had my gear service at this shop and two other shops and have not had any thing go wrong with my gear yet
the service tec at ssi has over 20 years of working on regulators so if a small % of the regulators come back for reservice that is not bad after all he is human

The issue isn't "a small % of the regulators come back for reservice". That is somewhat understandable just do to defective parts that may fail prematurely. The issue here is a regulator that left the shop with a potentially catastrophic defect that was induced by an entirely unacceptable service error. There really are only a couple ways to make a regulator deadly by incompetent service, and this is one of them.

Think of it like you bought a new tire but the tire store only installed one of the lug nuts and sent you out on the freeway.

Yes, the reg needs to be reserviced after probably taking on SW during the incident. But why would the OP want to give the tech a second chance to demonstrate the incompetence already demonstrated? And should the OP be compensated for the aborted dive, the extra tip for the DM who retrieved the lost 2nd, the rental of a replacement reg or tempory repair of his reg, and anxiousness felt in subsequent dives after such a serious incident? What would you expect the tire dealer to do after the tow truck rescued you on the side of the road (if you were lucky)?

We've been down this road before and it was exhausting. There is such a Love or Hate dynamic with the locals and this particular shop, that we don't see with any other shops in the area.

It's an unfortunate incident and preventable by both parties that could have ended very badly. I would have liked to see the shop take some responsibilty for their part and admit they may have made a mistake and not deflect all blame to the OP, travel, waivers, etc. but that's just not their style from all I've experienced, seen and heard, and I never expected them to own up to the fact that they are fallible/human and made a mistake.

Mistakes happen, it's how you handle them that shows your character. This may be the first time the shop's service reputation has come under fire publicly in this forum but this is not the first time this shop's customer service and business practices have come into question on this forum or elsewhere, nor is it the first service error I've heard of.

-Garrett

Dive-aholic:
After a few weeks most of those new members disappeared from the Board.

Tell me you're not surprised, Rob.

Although, I suspect the clouds may be gathering...

It IS still possible that this wasn't the fault of the service dept... keep that in mind.

And...

... people with half a brain won't believe that SS service is dangerous just because of one or two reports of dissatisfaction. I'm sure that they do a good job and I personally have no reason to suspect otherwise.

But... their official response here on SB did suck. They would have been wiser not to say anything.

Stephen Ash:
Tell me you're not surprised, Rob.

Although, I suspect the clouds may be gathering...
It IS still possible that this wasn't the fault of the service dept... keep that in mind.
And...
... people with half a brain won't believe that SS service is dangerous just because of one or two reports of dissatisfaction. I'm sure that they do a good job and I personally have no reason to suspect otherwise.

But... their official response here on SB did suck. They would have been wiser not to say anything.

Welcome to Switzerland .... Weather report: Cloudy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom