Trip Report Scuba Gear Suddenly Not allowed as carry on from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most USA airlines charge a higher baggage rate for sporting equipment -- typically things like golf clubs and bicycles, but scuba gear is also on the list, which could be why the OP paid $250 instead of $200.

IIRC it used to be that golf clubs didn't count in the checked bags but scuba gear did. Golfers had a better lobby I guess.

In the early days after 9/11, flying out of Detroit the TSA agents always took a pretty good look at our carry-ons and would find regs, dive computers, masks and my camera with the various cords, etc., and ask what they were. Never any real problem though after I told them wjat they were. On the return trips from Florida or Cozumel the agents there saw the same gear and didn't give it a second thought.

IIRC it used to be that golf clubs didn't count in the checked bags but scuba gear did. Golfers had a better lobby I guess.
Alaska will allow one "Scuba gear". A bag of scuba gear up to 50 lb and a separate tank up to 50 lb. I moved a bunch of tanks to Mexico this way.

It was stated that Mexican law precludes allowing my empty and un-valved rebreather tanks being taken on board the aircraft.
I think this was the problem.
The official would not allow my other scuba gear onboard without reason.
Left wondering.

I think this was the problem.

Left wondering.
I wonder if the discussion about the cylinders got heated? I could see that going south pretty quickly and escalating to "now we're not letting you bring any of this crap on board". Depending on the temperament of the agent I could see a particularly officious one taking offense at some foreigner shoving US based TSA papers in front of him and telling him what's allowed and what isn't. Just a thought since OP mentioned being "hot under the collar" after the incident. Some people in positions of authority don't particularly like that authority being questioned.

Hey All, it's Mrs 30taper (the OPs spouse)

Somehow, throughout this thread, the details he posted became a little, uh, cloudy. :wink:

We always travel with six bags total, typically three are checked @50lbs and three are carry-on. We have packed our gear - including the CCR tanks - in this manner for years and have had zero issues until this trip.

To clarify: We had already checked THREE bags prior to going through Mexican security. After the bleep-show with the young agent, we then had to check an additional TWO. One of these is overweight which when checked incurs an additional fee (which is why we carry it on.) He would not allow the bag containing the empty valveless COMPOSITE, eg lightweight, tanks past security.
While we were diplomatic right up to the end, it seemed to be out of spite that he refused the separate Pelican case. This held only regs, computers, lights, smbs - no cameras, housings, knives, or anything that might violate U.S. or Mexican security regulations.
Several times I had kindly asked to speak with his superior who, with a vacant stare, simply nodded and agreed with him.

We were completely caught off guard but had we been thinking more clearly, having an agent from AAirlines intercede might have saved at least part of the $350 in return baggage fees.

Wishing you better travel experiences along with a Happy Day!

I wonder if the discussion about the cylinders got heated? I could see that going south pretty quickly and escalating to "now we're not letting you bring any of this crap on board". Depending on the temperament of the agent I could see a particularly officious one taking offense at some foreigner shoving US based TSA papers in front of him and telling him what's allowed and what isn't. Just a thought since OP mentioned being "hot under the collar" after the incident. Some people in positions of authority don't particularly like that authority being questioned.

After all was said and done, our diplomacy did wane a bit! In 20+ years, I have never seen 30taper as "hot under the collar" as he was *after* returning from checking the extra two bags.

After all was said and done, our diplomacy did wane a bit! In 20+ years, I have never seen 30taper as "hot under the collar" as he was *after* returning from checking the extra two bags.
Sounds like you guys just got really unlucky with the agents you ran into that day. It will be interesting to see if anybody else has similar issues. Regardless, glad you guys made it back ok and with all your kit. :)

Sounds like Mexico. What the rule was yesterday may not be the rule today, and there may be a new rule in 5 minutes....all depending on who is enforcing it at that moment.

Don't get me wrong....I love Mexico, well Cozumel anyway, and hope to retire there in a few years. But make no mistake, there is a gringo tax. From any one of the tourist scams to the sheetshow that the OP went through... the gringo tax is in full effect.

I would absolutely reach out to American Airlines for at least a travel voucher to offset the expense. In the days before the Rona, American was very good about giving generous travel vouchers when they dropped the ball. We only paid for one of our first four flights to Coz because they could quite pull off a trip without a cancelation. Given the state of American Airlines today, you might only get an extra pack of crackers on your next flight, but it never hurts to ask.

Sorry this happened to the OP. It was definitely your turn in the barrel... I hope the rest of the vacation was good enough to balance it out.

Safe travels,
Jay

Sounds like Mexico. What the rule was yesterday may not be the rule today, and there may be a new rule in 5 minutes....all depending on who is enforcing it at that moment.

Don't get me wrong....I love Mexico, well Cozumel anyway, and hope to retire there in a few years. But make no mistake, there is a gringo tax. From any one of the tourist scams to the sheetshow that the OP went through... the gringo tax is in full effect.

I would absolutely reach out to American Airlines for at least a travel voucher to offset the expense. In the days before the Rona, American was very good about giving generous travel vouchers when they dropped the ball. We only paid for one of our first four flights to Coz because they could quite pull off a trip without a cancelation. Given the state of American Airlines today, you might only get an extra pack of crackers on your next flight, but it never hurts to ask.

Sorry this happened to the OP. It was definitely your turn in the barrel... I hope the rest of the vacation was good enough to balance it out.

Safe travels,
Jay

Thanks, Jay. Very good advice indeed. After all, a free package of Lorna Doone's is nothing to sneeze at!

Our first encounter with AAir was, to quote a wise man, a total sheetshow from start to finish, both directions. We've never experienced anything so maddening in all the years of flying Delta - but the thought of lugging 200 lbs of gear from Cancun... ugh. Though, after this disaster, that thought isn't near as frightening.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom