Trip Report Scuba Gear Suddenly Not allowed as carry on from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like this was in the US prior to leaving, is that right? What were the ramifications of the unaccepted gear?

I think OP showed Mexican TSA (well their equivalent) US TSA guidelines showing that cylinders without valves are allowed in the cabin. Mexican TSA said that’s neat…..no.

Or at least that’s how I read this.

Yes, my apologies. I’m not thinking too clearly, we just went through security and I’m still a little hot under the collar.

They wouldn’t accept any gear at all for carry-on. We have always packed our regs, computers, lights, smbs, reels, etc in one roll-aboard.

Although US TSA guidance on transporting empty cylinders was shown to the agent, they rejected my CCR tanks which had valves removed.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood

They wouldn’t accept any gear at all for carry-on. We have always packed our regs, computers, lights, smbs, reels, etc in one roll-aboard.
So, if it was one bag of rejected items, you then had to check that bag? I don't understand how one bag would cost $250?

Reactions: yle
So, if it was one bag of rejected items, you then had to check that bag? I don't understand how one bag would cost $250?

if it’s the 3rd or forth checked bag it’s $200 + fees. Since this happened after the original bag check, couldn’t just stuff it in those bags. But just a guess.

Looks like American bag fees went up in May for Mexico based flights, Checked bag policy − Travel information − American Airlines

Once again, the arrogance of the TSA with a good mix of COVID power trip added. I have yet to see a TSA 'thug' who did not think he/she/it was the 02nd coming of Beria.

I wonder if it was the tanks that set them over the edge and then they just gave the whole thing a thumbs down? I'll be curious to hear from others that are flying with a more standard rec setup. I'm also curious if this extends to all Mexican TSA/airports as well since I have to fly into Cabo to get to Socorro later this year.

I did kind of raise an eyebrow when I was booking my trip and the Nautilus Belle Amie had this blurb on their FAQ:

Customs & Cameras
Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance.

For more information, please see our Customs & Cameras page in your pre-trip information package or through our link here.

These incidents weren't that "isolated". There have been numerous discussions on on Scubaboard (think some discussion might have started out on wetpixel or somewhere similar, this probably started 18-24 , months ago). A whole lot of people were getting hit with charges on their housings coming into the Cabo area. I think Mexican customs in the Cabo area was calling more sophisticated housings "professional" equipment as opposed to tourist camera equipment. Think people were getting hit with tax on cost of housing, but not the camera and strobes. I haven't heard of the same housing issue at the Cozumel airport. They do sometimes try to hit parts/equipment meant for boats as "professional", though that may have been earlier in the pandemic when customs here got pretty bad about pulling various forms of BS. I haven't heard as many horror stories lately but I haven't been looking either. Certainly don't bring any vaping gear across the border, think they are still cracking down on that. I would be careful if you are bringing in 2 cameras plus a camera equipped drone--seems like someone had a problem with that (but I am not even 100% sure that was in Mexico)

These incidents weren't that "isolated". There have been numerous discussions on on Scubaboard (think some discussion might have started out on wetpixel or somewhere similar, this probably started 18-24 , months ago). A whole lot of people were getting hit with charges on their housings. I think Mexican customs in the Cabo area was calling more sophisticated housings "professional" equipment as opposed to tourist camera equipment. Think people were getting hit with tax on cost of housing, but not the camera and strobes. I haven't heard of the same housing issue at the Cozumel airport. They do sometimes try to hit anything meant for a boat as "professional", though that may have been earlier in the pandemic when customs here got pretty bad about pulling various forms of BS. I haven't heard as many horror stories lately but I haven't been looking either. Certainly don't bring any vaping gear across the border, think they are still cracking down on that. I would be careful if you are bringing in 2 cameras plus a camera equipped drone--seems like someone had a problem with that (but I am not even 100% sure that was in Mexico)
Thanks for the insight. With the way these trends are going we'll all eventually just resort to renting gear when not diving locally.

Once again, the arrogance of the TSA with a good mix of COVID power trip added. I have yet to see a TSA 'thug' who did not think he/she/it was the 02nd coming of Beria.

But this wasn't TSA. This was in Cozumel, so Mexican security. Only clarifying because I find that lots of people (not just here, but on other sites I visit) seem to think that TSA is a worldwide thing. I'm also on a knitting site and the knitters get so upset when "TSA" takes their needles from them in a country outside of the USA. Some have even told stories about showing TSA (in various countries) the printed out rules for the TSA in the US.

By the way, I've encountered some amazing TSA agents. Sure, there are some jerks just like in any profession, but most of the TSA agents I've encountered are very professional. In Tulsa they are usually very friendly...serious about their jobs, but friendly. I also have to give compliments to the TSA agent in Miami who didn't have my mother arrested after she threw a tantrum over a pocket knife he confiscated from mom's fiance. He was extremely kind to her as I hauled her off to find the next gate. (This was coming back from the D.R. where we had to go through security in the USA.) To be fair to my mother, her erratic behavior was due to Alzheimers' - early stages and we didn't know she had it. That whole trip was a fiasco. Even so, I really thought that we'd all be booted from the airport after the incident, but the agent gave me an understanding smile and let us move along.

Honestly, I'd have been more surprised if they had allowed the tanks as carry-on. They're heavy lumps of metal that could easily be used as weapons in the wrong hands. (Not suggesting the OP has any intentions!). What happens if you try to take a couple of 12 pound sledge hammers on as carry-on? There's not really much difference in terms of the ability to use these devices as "weapons".

So just to be crystal it was the tanks that were the problem not the other gear? I would not like someone to stuff a tank in the overhead bin above my head! Has anyone had a problem carrying on any items other than tanks? Any camera problems lately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom