Trip Report Scuba Gear Suddenly Not allowed as carry on from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30taper

Registered
Reaction score
Cozumel Warning - Mexican TSA refused to allow carry-on of the same scuba gear I’ve carried on for 10 years. I had to check the gear which added up to $250 extra baggage fee on American Airlines. If you are going to Cozumel you may want to plan for this on your departure.

Cozumel Warning - Mexican TSA refused to allow carry-on of the same scuba gear I’ve carried on for 10 years. I had to check the gear which added up to $250 extra baggage fee on American Airlines. If you are going to Cozumel you may want to plan for this on your departure.

What pieces seem to upset them? Or was it just everything?

it would certainly help others more if you could pls tell us which items were prohibited. thx.

Yes, my apologies. I’m not thinking too clearly, we just went through security and I’m still a little hot under the collar.

They wouldn’t accept any gear at all for carry-on. We have always packed our regs, computers, lights, smbs, reels, etc in one roll-aboard.

Although US TSA guidance on transporting empty cylinders was shown to the agent, they rejected my CCR tanks which had valves removed.

I wonder if it was the tanks that set them over the edge and then they just gave the whole thing a thumbs down? I'll be curious to hear from others that are flying with a more standard rec setup. I'm also curious if this extends to all Mexican TSA/airports as well since I have to fly into Cabo to get to Socorro later this year.

I did kind of raise an eyebrow when I was booking my trip and the Nautilus Belle Amie had this blurb on their FAQ:

Customs & Cameras
Unfortunately, we have received recent reports of isolated incidents where guests have been charged taxes for bringing their camera housings into Mexico. This is a transgression of your rights as an international passenger and a violation of both Mexican and international law. The company is investigating this, and in the meantime, we would like to provide you with this information to help improve your experience at Mexican customs.

As an international passenger, you are entitled to bring without paying taxes, two cameras or video recording devices, and their accessories. An underwater housing unit is a camera accessory which fits your camera and allows control and usage of the device while diving. As the housing can only be functional when used with your camera, it should be considered a part of your “two cameras with their accessories” luggage allowance.

For more information, please see our Customs & Cameras page in your pre-trip information package or through our link here.

I’m still a little hot under the collar.
I'm sure that you are. Thanks for the warning. This changes my plans significantly. I'm sure that there will be more details following as so many divers carry regs at least in their carryons.

Yes, my apologies. I’m not thinking too clearly, we just went through security and I’m still a little hot under the collar.

They wouldn’t accept any gear at all for carry-on. We have always packed our regs, computers, lights, smbs, reels, etc in one roll-aboard.

Although US TSA guidance on transporting empty cylinders was shown to the agent, they rejected my CCR tanks which had valves removed.

Tanks caused some issues for another diver, had to go get an airline representative to confirm they were allowed from what I recall.

Caustic kitty litter: Bringing your rebreather to Cozumel redux - wrecklessdiver.com

Sounds like this was in the US prior to leaving, is that right? What were the ramifications of the unaccepted gear?

What were the ramifications of the unaccepted gear?

“I had to check the gear which added up to $250 extra baggage fee on American Airlines”.

…is my best guess.

Back
Top Bottom